McManus rejects proposal for 11-team Super League

1 minute ago, Mr Plow said:

Should be selected by an independent board if they go down that route

Do you not think an independent body with no connection to RL would need initially advising by someone or body of people with experience of the sport, who could fill that roll that could be void of 'conflict of interest', it really is a minefield when you start to think it through.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless wolfpack sign up to guarentee to play SL nxt yr by end o month then winner of the autumn championship/L1 gets a 2yr place in SL. (If they dont finish bottom o SL next yr then bottom team relegated otherwise no relegation nxt yr) If Wolfpack dont take their SL place next year they can play in championship if they still exist. Sorted

It will very much depend on the player and how impacted they are with the current dramas and how good their deals are. SBW and Luetele have both said in interviews that they'd honour their contracts with the Wolfpack, McCrone talks like he'd stick around whilst Lussick speaks like he'll never go near the club again.

In terms of a 12th team, don't be surprised if Sky heavily influence any decision anyway (assuming Toronto can't secure their spot) as Elstone will be looking to appease them as much as possible.

I'd imagine based upon what would work best for Sky, they'd possibly want to fast track Bradford.  Bulls offer the most in subs, bring back the highly desired Leeds v Bradford derby and represent a bigger population than Fev or Leigh 

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Just now, Yakstorm said:

It will very much depend on the player and how impacted they are with the current dramas and how good their deals are. SBW and Luetele have both said in interviews that they'd honour their contracts with the Wolfpack, McCrone talks like he'd stick around whilst Lussick speaks like he'll never go near the club again.

In terms of a 12th team, don't be surprised if Sky heavily influence any decision anyway (assuming Toronto can't secure their spot) as Elstone will be looking to appease them as much as possible.

I'd imagine based upon what would work best for Sky, they'd possibly want to fast track Bradford.  Bulls offer the most in subs, bring back the highly desired Leeds v Bradford derby and represent a bigger population than Fev or Leigh 

I don't think Sky would make a calculation based on which small area might deliver a few extra subscription, especially as it might just be for a year. 

What they want is a 12th decent team in the competition that can be competitive in their games and provide a good TV product. 

Any team - whether that's a stripped down Wolfpack or a financially challenged Fev - that fields a weak squad that gets battered every week is a bad for Sky and SL. 

If it does come a bidding process, the key measure should be salary spend. The team that can pay the most should get the place. 

12 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Interesting. McManus essentially says ‘It’s your mess, you sort it’ to the RFL and that it would be unwise for SL to vote on the future of Toronto or a replacement 12th club.

That’s Leeds and Saints both in favour of a 12th club, and a criteria-based licensing entry.

Would it be a good idea to shoe horn a 12th side in next season but then turn SL upside down the following, based on criteria based licencing?

If some fresh team (or even New Toronto) comes up with a £10+ million bond then yes throw them in next season...

But otherwise, if Old Toronto is in such turmoil why try to resurect it?  The next TV deal comes after next season, so why not wait and spend time sorting that out and put in place some proper plan for consolidation expansion.  

55 minutes ago, Nearenough said:

Unless wolfpack sign up to guarentee to play SL nxt yr by end o month then winner of the autumn championship/L1 gets a 2yr place in SL. (If they dont finish bottom o SL next yr then bottom team relegated otherwise no relegation nxt yr) If Wolfpack dont take their SL place next year they can play in championship if they still exist. Sorted

The only way Toronto will be playing next year is in SL , without central funding nobody is going to agree to the terms they've had to deal with , so not happening 

17 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

Not a criticism but the Bulls have too many other issues to be genuinely considered 

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Not a criticism but the Bulls have too many other issues to be genuinely considered 

I agree. There's no way we can be ready to compete in Super League next season - either in terms of ground, playing strength, club structure or finances. 

18 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

Hiw would Bradford (or any club) help SKY increase subscriptions in the Bradford area.  The Bradford area ought to be interested in spending their money going though the turnstiles not sat on the sofa.

What SKY surely want is an exciting product to sell to the wider UK population.  It does not matter whether its 10, 11 or 12 teams, or 22 or 29 Rounds. And as for the SKY sumerisers/ commentators, SKT want some controversy to fill the airways with.  That why with Cricket they had Sir Geoffrey then Bob Willis and now seem to have Nasser Hussain.   I suppose Bothams bad feet keep him out now...

30 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I agree. There's no way we can be ready to compete in Super League next season - either in terms of ground, playing strength, club structure or finances. 

Totally agree.

As a weary (and wary) Bulls fan, I do wish people wouldn't drag the club into such fantasy discussions. It doesn't do anyone any good.

The past is the past.

The only way I want to see my club in Super League ever again is by winning a place back there on merit, on the field, not being shoehorned in on some false prospectus of what they once were or some dodgy franchising malarkey to make the numbers up.

3 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Totally agree.

As a weary (and wary) Bulls fan, I do wish people wouldn't drag the club into such fantasy discussions. It doesn't do anyone any good.

The past is the past.

The only way I want to see my club in Super League ever again is by winning a place back there on merit, on the field, not being shoehorned in on some false prospectus of what they once were or some dodgy franchising malarkey to make the numbers up.

Exactly John,

Do you think there will be a 12 team SL next season?

I’d have 14 teams next season, ideally Toronto and two others or if not three from the Championship. Then have one up one down (automatic) and 13th in SL play 2nd in the Championship in a Million Pound Game play off.

How those three teams are picked is difficult but would have to be done on crowds and financial stability I think. 

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Exactly John,

Do you think there will be a 12 team SL next season?

I genuinely have no idea.

We're in a time when no one can be certain there will even be a full slate of fixtures from one week to the next.

It's a brave person who tries to predict where we'll be in a few months time.

The only thing I'm prepared to predict is whatever happens, lots of people will be up in arms about it!

The promoted club generally has to wait til October to find out what scraps are left to put a squad together, September would be a bonus. It should be a mini licence thing as the inclusion of TW the last 2 seasons completed in the championship has had a huge impact on placings and strategy or the winner of the Autumn comp

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

Hiw would Bradford (or any club) help SKY increase subscriptions in the Bradford area.  The Bradford area ought to be interested in spending their money going though the turnstiles not sat on the sofa.

What SKY surely want is an exciting product to sell to the wider UK population.  It does not matter whether its 10, 11 or 12 teams, or 22 or 29 Rounds. And as for the SKY sumerisers/ commentators, SKT want some controversy to fill the airways with.  That why with Cricket they had Sir Geoffrey then Bob Willis and now seem to have Nasser Hussain.   I suppose Bothams bad feet keep him out now...

Pretty much this. I don't understand why so many posters seem to think that there is this huge amount of pent-up demand in certain parts of RL land for Sky Sports subscriptions that would be unlocked once certain teams win promotion.

Anyone with that much of an interest in RL in places like Bradford, Leigh or Featherstone who is willing and able to subscribe to Sky Sports probably already does. The idea that any one of those teams winning promotion would result in a flurry of new subscribers seems an absolute nonsense. 

Sky simply want the product that delivers the most value to their viewers and advertisers, puts bums on sofas and keeps viewers hooked. It doesn't matter whether that is a team in Toronto, Toulouse or Thatto Heath. 

20 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I genuinely have no idea.

We're in a time when no one can be certain there will even be a full slate of fixtures from one week to the next.

It's a brave person who tries to predict where we'll be in a few months time.

The only thing I'm prepared to predict is whatever happens, lots of people will be up in arms about it!

Agreed, but if no preperation is made and it does happen that the season goes ahead in '21, just waiting and see what happens is a recipe for disaster.

A plan of 'what if' should be formulated, how that would pan out for a club being 'promoted' and preparing by investing in it's playing roster is a real stickler though, SL would have to guarantee funding irrespective of if the season went ahead or not.

2 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Pretty much this. I don't understand why so many posters seem to think that there is this huge amount of pent-up demand in certain parts of RL land for Sky Sports subscriptions that would be unlocked once certain teams win promotion.

Anyone with that much of an interest in RL in places like Bradford, Leigh or Featherstone who is willing and able to subscribe to Sky Sports probably already does. The idea that any one of those teams winning promotion would result in a flurry of new subscribers seems an absolute nonsense. 

Sky simply want the product that delivers the most value to their viewers and advertisers, puts bums on sofas and keeps viewers hooked. It doesn't matter whether that is a team in Toronto, Toulouse or Thatto Heath. 

Thatto Heath... Having one team from St Helens is bad enough.  

16 hours ago, Total Rugby League said:

St Helens Chairman Eamonn McManus has spoken out against those in Super League who would like to see a Super League of eleven teams next...

View the full article

Having looked at the article i believe his comments are a load of waffle.

In his second paragraph he says "if" and "viable"...  Hmmm....  So his conclusions are built on sand.  Why is a league of 11 so impossible?  Where have SLE, or anyone, behaved wrong with Wolfpack?  They are the ones who supposedly had €2m for SBW!   Haven't all RL clubs been suffering throughout the pandemic?  Where was this "help" expected to come from?

Currently the biggest millstone around RL is promotion and relegation. 

Archived