McManus rejects proposal for 11-team Super League

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Magic XIII said:

Here's the really funny thing about all the small minds debating attendances and oh! how important they are to those with little else to support a SL argument. If we were comparing say 30,000 and 5,000 then wow that's a discernible difference. But we are not. We are comparing 5,000 and 1,500. So the question is more, will Super Club Leigh increase Sky subs  - no they wont. Will Featherstone - no they wont. Will Toulouse - no they wont. Will London or Toronto - more than likely, given a significant number of Sky RL viewers are already based in the SE. Will Leigh's Academy introduce more players to the elite game - no, they don't have one. Will Featherstone Academy - do they have one ? Will Toulouse - possibly. Will London - demonstrably. Do we really think how a 'stadium' looks on TV is really that important rather than the product that takes place in it - has anyone seen NRL games at Sunshine Coast Stadium of late  - any different to Trailfinders ? Think big picture, think beyond small towns with Rugby League justice and fight in their belly.

If so many people in the SE want to watch RL why do the Broncos and Skolars average about 1,300 between them? 

Also 1,500 and 5,000 is a massive difference. Ask Rochdale or Swinton. 

1 minute ago, yipyee said:

If you actually followed rygby league you would know the UK govenment have provided millions to prop up the game in the UK.

You would also know that SL is playing in empty stadiums to recieve sky money. 

The greedy SL chairman didnt give Toronto a cut of this so while the other clubs benefit from the tv contract Toronto had no income from this

Finally if you follow RL yoy would know that some of tge Toronto players dont have visas to stay long term in the UK as they are employed in Canada!

If you followed Rugby League you would know that Toronto agreed not to take a cut of the television rights and as such would have had to include that as part of their business plan. The money given to RFL as far as I am aware has been largely untouched with in most cases clubs owners putting in the money for example the Wigan chairman was reported to have put £500k in. With regards to visa issues that is what happens if you choose to play in a foreign league. It is the ultimate responsibility of the owner to cover the costs he agreed to and nobody else’s.

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yeah there’s a reason why billionaires want to buy Liverpool and Man Utd, and not Southport and Stockport. 

Because they are at the top level , which is where everybody wants to be 

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Which if they had been a Canadian team ( even with non Canadians ) actually based IN Canada they would/ could have received support from the Canadian govt , if they had been given any of the money provided by the UK govt it would have been ileagal 

Now I agree about the central funding , I stated at the time they should have received it 

If they had been based IN Canada as I stated then the visa's wouldn't have been an issue 

The Visas would be an issue to be based and play all the games here in single stadia, the visas are for only 3 months a year. Lets remember visits last year also count

31 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

Every other club have had the same circumstances and survived. The problem was the business owners lan was based around the owners input and that’s why it failed.

Every other club has had no TV money and has no prospect of gate receipts this season?

19 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Yep, 

The NFL in the UK that is, if you went back to 96 and said that rugby league hasnt moved on much but the nfl has got its own sky channel and sells out wembley and other large stadiums for 4 games a year i would expect your above response...

In reality the RFL should employ the geniuses that has made the above happen!

Yeah the RFL could definitely afford them, they’d just have to cut back on coffee and biscuits at the office. 

1 minute ago, yipyee said:

The Visas would be an issue to be based and play all the games here in single stadia, the visas are for only 3 months a year. Lets remember visits last year also count

I couldn't care wether last year counts or not , if you are trying to run a transcontinental Sports clubs costing millions per year , it's something you should get right , it's nobodies fault other than the Wolfpack administration 

Once again a Canadian club should be based IN Canada 

38 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Leigh was 6500 in 2017, I am sure that could be grown with a long stay in SL and a backer willing to tip in.

The majority of week in week out Sky RL followers in the SE and SW are exiles with allegiances.

Unless you are chosen to have a Cat 1 Academy you will not produce many SL players - Leigh run a College based one like most others, once granted a Cat 1 and funding then I am confident players will flow again

Trailfinders is shocking.

Expansion must embrace all, otherwise the root dies

Academys just turn potential to product. Im not convinced theres enough potential in the area for 3 top teams

Just now, GUBRATS said:

I couldn't care wether last year counts or not , if you are trying to run a transcontinental Sports clubs costing millions per year , it's something you should get right , it's nobodies fault other than the Wolfpack administration 

Once again a Canadian club should be based IN Canada 

7000 job losses at M&S today

Cant be COVID lets blame the wolfpack!

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

Do you think it is 100% true that nothing has been done to grow the market over the last 15 years?

Wasn't the introduction of Catalans 'doing something'?

Since they were included I mean.

Just now, Eddie said:

Every other club has had no TV money and has no prospect of gate receipts this season?

Toronto agreed to participate in the competition without TV money which was their mistake, the guy that owns them is a business man and surely must have had a plan to do it, agreed no one could see the lack of crowds coming but they have had to adapt, owners have had to put money in. The fact that for whatever reason the owner of Toronto hasn’t been able to do this is unfortunately his problem.

2 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

Toronto agreed to participate in the competition without TV money which was their mistake, the guy that owns them is a business man and surely must have had a plan to do it, agreed no one could see the lack of crowds coming but they have had to adapt, owners have had to put money in. The fact that for whatever reason the owner of Toronto hasn’t been able to do this is unfortunately his problem.

As well as all of their employees problem sadly, and their fans who were a massive asset to the game and could well now be lost from it. 

1 minute ago, Cardypaul said:

How many business owners are facing tough choices and how many businesses are going to come out the other side.

Lets not be wrong here the only reason SL has survived is the influx of cash from the govenment and the furlough scheme..

Now if Toronto had been admitted straight to SL and this was season number 3 then i would expect a different outcome!

33 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Yep, 

The NFL in the UK that is, if you went back to 96 and said that rugby league hasnt moved on much but the nfl has got its own sky channel and sells out wembley and other large stadiums for 4 games a year i would expect your above response...

In reality the RFL should employ the geniuses that has made the above happen!

So rather than have a team in Toronto , we should have flown our team's out there 4 times a year instead ? 

We should have taken our ' circus ' to their town ?

Do the NFL make a profit on this circus they run ?

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yeah the RFL could definitely afford them, they’d just have to cut back on coffee and biscuits at the office. 

I wonder how these ' geniuses ' would go on with an RFL sized budget ? 😀

2 minutes ago, yipyee said:

How many business owners are facing tough choices and how many businesses are going to come out the other side.

Lets not be wrong here the only reason SL has survived is the influx of cash from the govenment and the furlough scheme..

Now if Toronto had been admitted straight to SL and this was season number 3 then i would expect a different outcome!

Lots of businesses are going to struggle through this crisis.

The majority of SL clubs have survived because of the tv money they received, owners input, furlough and I know some have applied to access the money from the government. Ultimately Toronto agreed to participate in the competition without TV money and that was their mistake and nobody else’s whether you and I agree with it or not.

Why should Toronto have been admitted straight into SL any other club has to go through the promotion and relegation process, I don’t see why Toronto should be any different.

Archived