McManus rejects proposal for 11-team Super League

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Magic XIII said:

Back to debating over a few hundred folk to substantiate Leigh's value to SL

If somebody suggests Leigh give out free tickets they are completely wrong , none were given out , so what do you want us to do , ignore a wrong statement ? 

11 minutes ago, Magic XIII said:

When people are using ' potential ' attendances to support the claims of expansion clubs , saying they ' would ' get a certain number , with no factual evidence to support it apart from being based in a large population base , just what argument do you expect to be put forward ? 🤔

15 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

You are much better than that question Tommy!

When the standard of debate is that low Harry I really don't see where it could be raised sadly. May as well start counting empty seats at Huddersfield (or Wigan). Its just a willy measuring exercise 

11 hours ago, yipyee said:

Finally if you follow RL yoy would know that some of tge Toronto players dont have visas to stay long term in the UK as they are employed in Canada!

If you also follow RL you would realise that Toronto's non British player's lived in the UK and had their homes here, with the British lads they all got on a plane together and flew into Toronto to play their 'HOME' games.

12 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

When the standard of debate is that low Harry I really don't see where it could be raised sadly. May as well start counting empty seats at Huddersfield (or Wigan). Its just a willy measuring exercise 

Why would anybody count empty seats ? , It's the full ones that count ?

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

As an example of what else people could count in their spare time. Counting in the oppos seems rather small scale by comparison, go big or go home!

The LSV count them in , not the fans or even the club , and having the ticket office manager as a fan helps 

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The LSV count them in , not the fans or even the club , and having the ticket office manager as a fan helps 

I thought it was PH's Sister??? Or is that one and the same? 

Either way, a thread about who should be the 12th SL team has once again devolved into the "why Leigh have great home crowds" and "why does nobody come here" for no obvious reason other than that is all some fans have got.

Do you think McManus supporting TWP getting funding so publicly will help their case or make another team more likely? If so, who?

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I thought it was PH's Sister??? Or is that one and the same? 

Either way, a thread about who should be the 12th SL team has once again devolved into the "why Leigh have great home crowds" and "why does nobody come here" for no obvious reason other than that is all some fans have got.

Do you think McManus supporting TWP getting funding so publicly will help their case or make another team more likely? If so, who?

No , Leyther Matt is the LSV ticket office manager 

I wanted Toronto to get central funding , still do , if you're in, you're IN , 

I want clubs to enter or exit SL based on on field performance , including Leigh 

To me , any other option is second best , I'd accept it as a one off given the crazy situation we are currently in , but not long term 

Any championship team being parachuted into SL under the current conditions would be on a hiding to nothing unless they're exempted from relegation, and I think that would be very unlikely as I doubt SL or Sky want 2 years in a row without a drop. Indeed given the current uncertainty in the country on so many level, it could be terminal for a club if it goes wrong.

I know promotion is the holy grail for most championship fans but this year it seems better to give it a swerve, let a penalised Toronto take almost certain relegation, and clubs like Leigh and Fev can have a have a proper go at promotion in 2021 instead. Might also have some longer term perspective too by the start of '21, so can judge investment correctly.           

Another thread with people swearing and getting all angry because their narrow little geographic area with a club that's not going to win Super League anytime soon is not being treated the same as another narrow little geographic area with a club that's not going to win Super League anytime soon.

4 posts removed. Come on folks, when the subject is clearly wider, why not look wider.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, Magic XIII said:

You do realise the South East is a pretty big area ?

OK, Leigh is just a small town of 45,000ish, nowhere near the SE or even London with 9,000,000. But lets just drop that down to the Borough of Ealing with 350,000 still massive in RL terms, but Ealing covers a few towns so we will narrow it down just a little further to West Ealing where the club is situated where 85,000 people reside even that could be construed as London Bronco's target audience and raise it's everso popular potential but it doesn't.

Continuation from last post.

I am one of the converts who loves the game of Rugby League above all others, and can't understand those who do not like it, The south east is one of those area's, it nearly 100% rejects Rugby League just a few hardy souls and one welathy man cares enough, the rest couldn't give a doopy dropped one if it vanished tomorrow, will you or someone else please explain to me what this 'potential' actually means apart from having the name London prefixing Bronco's.

It maybe better a better marketing strategy to change the name to the West Ealing Bronco's, that could entice some of the locals who could possibly Identify with that name and consider the club belongs to them.

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

OK, Leigh is just a small town of 45,000ish, nowhere near the SE or even London with 9,000,000. But lets just drop that down to the Borough of Ealing with 350,000 still massive in RL terms, but Ealing covers a few towns so we will narrow it down just a little further to West Ealing where the club is situated where 85,000 people reside even that could be construed as London Bronco's target audience and raise it's everso popular potential but it doesn't.

The problem for the Broncos is simply that West Ealing has a professional soccer team nearby, ie. Brentford with an average gate of about 10,000 , and about to enter a new stadium. That is the problem all over London for any sport trying to establish itself aiming for a five figure attendance turn out. It ain't happening.  There's a soccer  club for every part of London. There's one area that is soccer's no go area, where pubs display " no football here" signs during world cups, yep you guessed it, Twickenham.  I don't know why Broncos left The Hive, but that looked promising,  nice stadium,  no big soccer club nearby, pity that didn't work out. 

3 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

The problem for the Broncos is simply that West Ealing has a professional soccer team nearby, ie. Brentford with an average gate of about 10,000 , and about to enter a new stadium. That is the problem all over London for any sport trying to establish itself aiming for a five figure attendance turn out. It ain't happening.  There's a soccer  club for every part of London. There's one area that is soccer's no go area, where pubs display " no football here" signs during world cups, yep you guessed it, Twickenham.  I don't know why Broncos left The Hive, but that looked promising,  nice stadium,  no big soccer club nearby, pity that didn't work out. 

And to most the sport you have been brought up with as a kid stays with you, Rugby League has always been in my family, 10/11 miles east we have both Manchester Soccer clubs, 20 miles west both Liverpool clubs, even only 7 miles is Bolton Wanderers it was a big draw when I was young, but football is not my sport, in all my 60odd years out of curiosity I have attended just one football game I just cannot connect or even have anytime for it, and I dare say that is exactly how this sport of Rugby League is accepted in the London metropolis, it is good that London have had some good crowds in years gone by, BUT could those who attended be like I am with football one who tried it once and decided it wasn't for me never to return, I strongly suggest that it is. 

PS. Wouldn't it be good if everyone of those 9,000,000 London inhabitants attended just one game that would ensure crowds of 10,000 for the next 35 seasons or so.

Sadly this is exactly the 'potential' people keep addressing being that the club is located in a large populated area.

Archived