New Super League Sponsor

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

The question of how appropriate a sponsor is for RL relates more to the influence on the broader constituency of the game`s players and fans. Of course when a sport`s governing body accepts a sponsorship it`s elite players may be required to endorse the product. Whether they mean it is another matter. Just as with individual celebrities in commercials.

I`d be surprised if any sports nutritionist employed by NRL or SL clubs would recommend pizza in the diets of their players, but that`s no reason why players at all other levels shouldn`t partake in moderation. If someone is partial to so-called junk food there`s a greater imperative for them to join a club and get active. Better that than striving for self-denial, whilst remaining inactive.

I agree on all that, nothing wrong with a league being sponsored and endorsing certain objects, just doubt their players will be enjoy pizza after every game. I've always found it humorous during the post-game press conferences you see soda bottles placed in front of the players for sponsorship reasons or is NASCARs case placed on top of the car, regardless of their soda drinking habit I doubt thats the last thing they'd want to drink right after a game/race.

3 minutes ago, emesssea said:

I agree on all that, nothing wrong with a league being sponsored and endorsing certain objects, just doubt their players will be enjoy pizza after every game. I've always found it humorous during the post-game press conferences you see soda bottles placed in front of the players for sponsorship reasons or is NASCARs case placed on top of the car, regardless of their soda drinking habit I doubt thats the last thing they'd want to drink right after a game/race.

Anthony Joshua just about manages to take his headphones off before fights .

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

How sad that the immediate reaction of so many people is to deride this and assume it’s a ‘free’ sponsorship. 

They are not fans Eddie, they are not big enough. Feeding off the game, like parasites.

All sports have their negative detractors. People who will find fault in almost anything.
You kind of expect it on the various social media platforms, but i've even seen it on a SL post on Linkedin!.. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

15 hours ago, emesssea said:

As previously posted, pizza in the dressing room is the standard post-match meal for pro RL players and has been for a good couple of years.

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

It always makes me smile a bit that the NRL has prominent advertising of KFC and McDonald’s ! I wonder what their post match scran is

What is wrong with that? Lots of nonsense talked about McDs by some people who should know better. There's more nutritional information available on McDs stuff than on all the Manoir de Quatre Seasons type eateries put together. That's why there is so much full about the drive to put calorie counts on restaurant menus. People are happy to neck pints of calorie rich beer but sneer at pizzas. 

This is where we are now as a sport commercially - signing sponsorship contracts in exchange for a few microwaved pizzas in contra...

Jeez... 🙄

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

5 minutes ago, JohnM said:

What is wrong with that? Lots of nonsense talked about McDs by some people who should know better. There's more nutritional information available on McDs stuff than on all the Manoir de Quatre Seasons type eateries put together. That's why there is so much full about the drive to put calorie counts on restaurant menus. People are happy to neck pints of calorie rich beer but sneer at pizzas. 

I’m exempt because I don’t know better 

1 minute ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

This is where we are now as a sport commercially - signing sponsorship contracts in exchange for a few microwaved pizzas in contra...

Jeez... 🙄

Suppliers give us stuff in return for us putting their name in a few places. 

Nowt new or to be sneered at there. 

Just now, Dave T said:

Suppliers give us stuff in return for us putting their name in a few places. 

Nowt new or to be sneered at there. 

...and right there's our problem

If you don't value yourself, others don't value you. Future deals get driven down, it's a market signal. That Stobart deal was criminal. 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

27 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

...and right there's our problem

If you don't value yourself, others don't value you. Future deals get driven down, it's a market signal. That Stobart deal was criminal. 

Some nice soundbites there.

5 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

As previously posted, pizza in the dressing room is the standard post-match meal for pro RL players and has been for a good couple of years.

Other than a post on a fan message board, is there an actual source to this? I'm highly skeptical of this, as in the past 10-20 years there has been an emphasis on players' diets both in-season and off season across all sports, with many clubs having staff to plan and monitor their players diets.

https://www.menshealth.com.au/nrl-player-diet

https://www.zerotackle.com/nrl-players-eat-game-day-28191/#:~:text=2020 NRL Ladder %26nbsp%3B , 8 12 more rows

https://www.sportsdietitians.com.au/factsheets/food-for-your-sport/food-for-your-sport-rugby-league/

https://coach.nine.com.au/diet/how-to-eat-like-an-nrl-player/0fcd2fed-de14-40d9-8137-cbd52783f7a6

But I guess if the Super League clubs are okay with their players eating pizza with a few beers after each game, if wouldn't be the most surprising thing, since rugby league administration in England tend to have an amateur mindset when it comes to running a sport compared to their NRL counterparts and officials in other sports as well.

18 minutes ago, emesssea said:

Other than a post on a fan message board, is there an actual source to this? I'm highly skeptical of this, as in the past 10-20 years there has been an emphasis on players' diets both in-season and off season across all sports, with many clubs having staff to plan and monitor their players diets.

https://www.menshealth.com.au/nrl-player-diet

https://www.zerotackle.com/nrl-players-eat-game-day-28191/#:~:text=2020 NRL Ladder %26nbsp%3B , 8 12 more rows

https://www.sportsdietitians.com.au/factsheets/food-for-your-sport/food-for-your-sport-rugby-league/

https://coach.nine.com.au/diet/how-to-eat-like-an-nrl-player/0fcd2fed-de14-40d9-8137-cbd52783f7a6

But I guess if the Super League clubs are okay with their players eating pizza with a few beers after each game, if wouldn't be the most surprising thing, since rugby league administration in England tend to have an amateur mindset when it comes to running a sport compared to their NRL counterparts and officials in other sports as well.

Aside from my own first hand experience, see the below quote from Chris Hill as posted HERE.

There are usually a couple of pizza boxes in the changing rooms after a game, why is that?

“The day after a game – we just eat to get as many calories back into us. There are a few lads who eat directly after a game but I can’t eat until about three or four hours after the game has finished because I feel sick.”

23 hours ago, emesssea said:

Footballers used to have pizza after a game.

It was banned at old trafford after the arsenal players (or player) threw a piece at Sir Alex..

On 19/08/2020 at 15:29, Leyther_Matt said:

Seems a perfectly reasonable contra-deal to me, particularly with the costs (and Covid restrictions?) involved for catering for the players involved in the double-headers and the like.

Also worth mentioning that pizzas are very much recommended by sports nutritionists and is virtually ubiquitous in professional RL and football. The idea is to replace quickly replace fat that has been burned during the game or the body will 'crash' and next day recovery will be severely hampered.

Aye. Loads of rugby players come into the italian where I work either the day before or after a game for a spaghetti carbonara with extra chicken. Its all about making up lost calories.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Some nice soundbites there.

Really? Thought this was a discussion forum. You know, using words. They’re not sound bites, it makes a clear point. Feel free to disagree, I’m wrong as often as right, but no need to be a wazzock about it mate 

8 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Really? Thought this was a discussion forum. You know, using words. They’re not sound bites, it makes a clear point. Feel free to disagree, I’m wrong as often as right, but no need to be a wazzock about it mate 

They are soundbites in that there is no substance behind them. Just saying we should get paid more won't make that happen. 

But in any case, a supplier of a service that you need giving you stuff for free is a good thing. 

Archived