New Super League Sponsor

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

They are soundbites in that there is no substance behind them. Just saying we should get paid more won't make that happen. 

But in any case, a supplier of a service that you need giving you stuff for free is a good thing. 

Retcon in action

The substance is this: Accepting a price (in this case free or contra) is a market signal, in that it helps set the future price for the same good or service or the price of something similar you may wish to sell. It’s how markets work. Sometimes it is better to not sell something for a low price because of that damage to future opportunity, especially if the value received is marginal. I’d suggest free bloody pizzas for players is of marginal benefit. That’s not a sound bite.

You disagree, but played the man not the ball. Like I said, really? 🙄

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Retcon in action

The substance is this: Accepting a price (in this case free or contra) is a market signal, in that it helps set the future price for the same good or service or the price of something similar you may wish to sell. It’s how markets work. Sometimes it is better to not sell something for a low price because of that damage to future opportunity, especially if the value received is marginal. I’d suggest free bloody pizzas for players is of marginal benefit. That’s not a sound bite.

You disagree, but played the man not the ball. Like I said, really? 🙄

No, I didn't say a single thing about you. I critiqued your post. The actual words you typed. 

You on the other hand resorted to name calling. 

I'll leave it there. 

5 hours ago, yipyee said:

Footballers used to have pizza after a game.

It was banned at old trafford after the arsenal players (or player) threw a piece at Sir Alex..

You're a day and a half late , I posted ' pizzagate ' yesterday 😉

22 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Aside from my own first hand experience, see the below quote from Chris Hill as posted HERE.

I found it humorous how in three sentences he contradicts himself:

1. Eating pizza is way to build up calories

2. Very next answer he says pizza is a cheat meal

3. Talks about sacrifices they make for their diet, if that sacrifice is eating pizza 25+ times a year sign me up

Again, if this one interview is indicative of Super League's overall view on athletes' diets, well I guess its not much of a surprise that they are years behind another off the field aspect of a sporting competition or maybe they're just focused the national team:

On 20/08/2020 at 22:30, Dave T said:

No, I didn't say a single thing about you. I critiqued your post. The actual words you typed. 

You on the other hand resorted to name calling. 

I'll leave it there. 

Best you do. When you’re in a hole and all that eh 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

The pizza gig already exists in RL. These lads will have just come off a week of intense diet and training, giving them a pizza straight after the game is perfect timing and strategy as it adds the calories fast and takes away or mitigates the "I really fancy a pizza/kebab" feeling that might suddenly pop up mid-week when players will be back on a strict diet.

McDonalds is a major recurring sponsor of the FIFA soccer WC and the Olympics, the world's biggest sports events. Fast food is a massive factor in modern life and there is no point being outraged about it sponsoring RL as it will just go elsewhere. We should figure out how to use it to motivate kids into our sport as other sports are doing. RL is well behind  a lot of our competitors in this regard.

Ask any young kid you know, would you like to play rugby and then go for a pizza or would you prefer to play any sport and have a healthy green salad? I bet the majority will opt for rugby and pizza.

Confirmed in the latest League Express that Pappa John's are paying nothing except Pizza.

As someone else said to me, the one sector of advertising that is thriving at the moment is food delivery. 

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

According to John Davidson the SL aren't getting a penny for this *cough* deal. Just free pizza, the first I heard this someone suggested it on Twitter as a joke. Now I'm finding out this might be true.

Can someone clarify that the hell this deal is about and who's eating the pizza? 

I dont have too much of an issue with this, its association with a global brand and its upto the competition to offer us a better deal when this one expires, chicken and egg n all that..

Could see dominoes maybe wanting to compete? 

3 hours ago, M j M said:

Pretty much every team gets pizza into the dressing rooms after games, that's not new, neither are this sort of contra deal.

But surely not getting a video advertisement before highlights clips and ground signage as well. Just for free pizza. 

Either the advertising market is really tough, or Papa Johns is doing some cross promotion at their stores or on their pizza boxes nation wide (minimum) or RLF Chief Commercial Officer  is not driving a hard enough bargain given the exposure they are getting through their exposure  on TV.  If I read correctly touch line signage. Highly visible.

It will want to lead to something more next year.

I'm surprised they didnt sign this deal for a nominal cash amount on top of the free pizza's. It would have cost PJ virtually nothing and enabled SL to claim a "commercially sensitive undisclosed amount" which would be far better reputationally for both organisations.

So many people able to do the RFL commercial department's job better than they can.

DO MORE MARKETING. SIGN A BETTER DEAL.

But, like refereeing, it appears no one commenting actually knows either the details of the deal or what riches-filled alternatives were there for the taking.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

It must be a great time for advertising and sponsorship right now. That'll be why the adverts on Sky during the cricket yesterday were all for Sky programmes showing on Sky channels with virtually zero external products being shown at all.

Free pizza is going to save some cash strapped clubs some money. It's far from ideal but I'll take a lead from the NRL when their rainy day fund doesn't run out after three weeks and they need to beg to start playing again.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

It must be a great time for advertising and sponsorship right now. That'll be why the adverts on Sky during the cricket yesterday were all for Sky programmes showing on Sky channels with virtually zero external products being shown at all.

Free pizza is going to save some cash strapped clubs some money. It's far from ideal but I'll take a lead from the NRL when their rainy day fund doesn't run out after three weeks and they need to beg to start playing again.

It'll be worth somewhere up to £100k to the clubs.

The fact that these Aussies, and some of our own fans, don't seem to understand how hard it is for Rugby League in this country to strike commercial deals is exactly why you wouldn't want them to get involved in the British game, they'd have no clue what to do.

Just now, M j M said:

It'll be worth somewhere up to £100k to the clubs.

The fact that these Aussies, and some of our own fans, don't seem to understand how hard it is for Rugby League in this country to strike commercial deals is exactly why you wouldn't want them to get involved in the British game, they'd have no clue what to do.

We need more marketing.

Archived