New Super League Sponsor

1 minute ago, The Daddy said:

I've clearly seen Papa John's advertised in the past few matches, really it's not difficult to see at all. 

In what way are those numbers exaggerated have you seen the SL viewing figures on Sky sports? 

The onus is on you to prove 500k Sky viewers and 400k French viewers. 

Who else have you seen on the boards? Name 6 or 7 if you can.

If you can't I will politely suggest  that your memory is influenced by all this fuss.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't speculate on figures. Thats not how it works. 'Maybe 900k people will see your branding' isn't going to convince anyone to part with their money.

I've clearly seen Papa johns ads at pitch side recently also, but then i'm looking for them. I honestly couldn't tell you any others i've seen. I could guess easily enough, of course.

Recall the last world cup, can anyone recall what banners they saw pitch side? but i bet many can remember how much chips and curry sauce was at KFC due to the big screen try/no try.

This is the kind of thing Papa Johns will want. The ads pre-highlights package goes some way to achieving this. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Just now, EastLondonMike said:

You can't speculate on figures. Thats not how it works. 'Maybe 900k people will see your branding' isn't going to convince anyone to part with their money.

I've clearly seen Papa johns ads at pitch side recently also, but then i'm looking for them. I honestly couldn't tell you any others i've seen. I could guess easily enough, of course.

Recall the last world cup, can anyone recall what banners they saw pitch side? but i bet many can remember how much chips and curry sauce was at KFC due to the big screen try/no try.

This is the kind of thing Papa Johns will want. The ads pre-highlights package goes some way to achieving this. 

Yep, the fact you can't name others shows the effectiveness of this kind of advertising on TV during an SL game. And I'm not just being awkward on this point, I am making a serious one that these are nowhere near as effective as football for example. On football there is a lot of screen time for them, when the camera is zoomed out (often), during throw ins, corners, goal kicks etc. 

And on the numbers, if you want to go top end you will be taking average worldwide peak of maybe 400k per match (times 5), then your half a million social media followers and come to some crazy number of a reach of 10m per week. But that number would be nonsense (but often quoted). 

Did anyone expect Papa John’s to be paying Super League on top of writing off thousands of pounds a week? I certainly didn’t. 

I didn’t expect to see as much Papa John’s branding at games though. Let’s be honest, that’s welcome though. They’re a relatively big brand here and we need to align with more big brands. Could we have organised a deal on advertising hoardings so that Papa John’s get a reduced fee for these due to them spending four figures a week writing off pizza? Possibly. 

It’s going to be used as a stick to beat Super League and Elstone with, which is just tired ground now. 

28 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

As mentioned in the other thread - the typical organic reach on Facebook is about 6.4%, so that 209,000 (even assuming that those 209,000 are real, active users) is actually barely over 13,000.

And you can't assume all audiences are equal. I'm just guessing here but when an advertiser looks at the MOSAIC profiles of 209,000 SL followers and 211,000 RU followers, the latter looks a lot more attractive. 

Yep, a very good example is how Sale Sharks' sponsorship portfolio looks very different to Warrington's for example.

On 18/08/2020 at 14:15, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Hang on - does this 'partnership' extend much further than knocking out a few pizzas after the game? I'd like to think it does but i'm skeptical about whether any/how much money is involved in all this. Good name to have onboard I agree, but feels a bit like a quick 'we'll give you a bit of advertising if you sort us out some pizzas' rather than an actual advertising partnership.

Don't be saying anything like that on this board you will be called a moaning leyther.

On 19/08/2020 at 08:32, GUBRATS said:

This is a thread about SL sponsorship , nothing whatsoever anything to do with any club , let alone any non SL club , but you . Yes YOU introduce a particular club into the discussion , I'd say that is both pathetic and obsessive 

Looks like you'll be joining the ignore crew 

They just can't help themselves they are truly obsessed with us, people don't like anyone who go against the grain.

6 minutes ago, PEANUT HEAD said:

Don't be saying anything like that on this board you will be called a moaning leyther.

In fairness, there will be a hell of a lot of the "we'll give you a bit of advertising if you sort us out some [insert thing here]" kind of deals going on across clubs, not just in RL but across sport. 

How many clubs do you think get any money from their "nutrition partner"? They'll get paid in pallets of protein powder. 

How much do you think Leeds make from Global Auto Leasing? Probably not a lot - they'll get paid in car leases. It wouldn't suprise me if all of Warrington's company cars come from Halliwell Jones on similar terms. 

I'm pretty sure I recall reading that Wakefield's deal with ASUS was basically in exchange for a load of new IT equipment. 

These sorts of deals are pretty common. Honestly, I think people's issue here is more due to the sponsor being a fast food chain. 

Just now, whatmichaelsays said:

In fairness, there will be a hell of a lot of the "we'll give you a bit of advertising if you sort us out some [insert thing here]" kind of deals going on across clubs, not just in RL but across sport. 

How many clubs do you think get any money from their "nutrition partner"? They'll get paid in pallets of protein powder. 

How much do you think Leeds make from Global Auto Leasing? Probably not a lot - they'll get paid in car leases. It wouldn't suprise me if all of Warrington's company cars come from Halliwell Jones on similar terms. 

I'm pretty sure I recall reading that Wakefield's deal with ASUS was basically in exchange for a load of new IT equipment. 

These sorts of deals are pretty common. Honestly, I think people's issue here is more due to the sponsor being a fast food chain. 

It's an odd complaint, particularly on FoxLeague. The payment in kind thing is standard as you say, but fast food has sponsored all sports for a long time. In Oz possibly their most visible sponsor is KFC. 

4 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

So what did betfred pay in, free bets.

Just now, Barry Badrinath said:

Colne Valley rubber

I assume that is a genuine one? I've never heard of them, and I've watched a lot of SL recently. 

Surely they have benefited from the millions of eyeballs on them and all SL followers now know them? 

Or maybe it doesn't quite work like that. 

Just now, Dave T said:

It's an odd complaint, particularly on FoxLeague. The payment in kind thing is standard as you say, but fast food has sponsored all sports for a long time. In Oz possibly their most visible sponsor is KFC. 

To be fair, I wasn't thinking about the Oz thing, but you're right. 

We know that RL struggles to attract "glamourous" sponsors. It's a fair complaint and I suspect that there's some very convenient symbolism in giving ad space in exchange for pizza for people who want to argue that such a state of affairs is the result of RFL / SL ineptitude. 

But the reason RL struggles to attract those higher-tier sponsors is because we don't reach the higher-tier audiences that those sponsors are interested in. And the sport seems to have an active aversion to any attempt to try and change that. 

I mean, personally,  I can see both sides of this, yes it would be nice (and professional) to get some money out of this.

And yes I can see getting something for nothing will help the clubs out on a financial basis and that would be a big help in the current climate. 

Most people are missing the bigger picture here. And thats papa John's is the third best  in name pizza chain in the UK, domino's, then pizza hut then aa huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge gap to papa johns in third.

As a fat person,  I can assure you I wouldn't order from them unless absolutely no other option. 

Or if they were doing the marmite stuffed crust again.

2 minutes ago, PEANUT HEAD said:

So what did betfred pay in, free bets.

Betfred did pay cash. But the point is that a mix of both isn't exactly a bad position to be in. 

As mentioned earlier, the market for advertising and sports sponsorship is on the floor. When one of Papa John's much larger competitors has cut its ad budget from £43m to £1.3m, what sort of cash sponsorship deals do people think RL should be commanding? 

37 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yep, the fact you can't name others shows the effectiveness of this kind of advertising on TV during an SL game. And I'm not just being awkward on this point, I am making a serious one that these are nowhere near as effective as football for example. On football there is a lot of screen time for them, when the camera is zoomed out (often), during throw ins, corners, goal kicks etc. 

I think a point worth highlighting is that of the KFC one being noticable as well - the link (apart from food) being is that they are recognisable international brands. 

I have noticed Pappa Johns at pitchside long before the announcement - I was surprised that the announcement seemed to come about two weeks after the deal was underway. I think this is largely because I already knew the brand - if it was Joe Bloggs Pizza who were a brand new company looking to get off the ground, I'd have probably taken a lot longer to notice.

I think football can be the same, if you watched a game in the premier league you'd end up naming the brands you know, rather than the odd firms that don't even operate in this country but are for the international TV audience. 

Similarly KFC in the NRL is one you know, Telstra, Sportsbet, Bundaberg are all over the coverage but wash over us here because they aren't hugely relevant to a UK audience. 

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I assume that is a genuine one? I've never heard of them, and I've watched a lot of SL recently. 

Surely they have benefited from the millions of eyeballs on them and all SL followers now know them? 

Or maybe it doesn't quite work like that. 

yup, I always laugh at that whenever I see it at warrington or Huddersfield, its a bright orange sign which always catches my attention. 

There's a couple other manufacturer based ones as well that are vacant from my head but I always notice them pre match. 

2 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Betfred did pay cash. But the point is that a mix of both isn't exactly a bad position to be in. 

As mentioned earlier, the market for advertising and sports sponsorship is on the floor. When one of Papa John's much larger competitors has cut its ad budget from £43m to £1.3m, what sort of cash sponsorship deals do people think RL should be commanding? 

Some cash is better than none, may as well had botch it and scarper local builders on it.😀

48 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

I remember the last world cup in the UK where Hertz were one of the big associate sponsors. Would be stunned if any money changed hands for that but it was still a very good and worthwhile deal for the (branded) vehicles people were using.

The more I think about this, the more I don’t really think this is a story. 

Papa John’s are writing off thousands a week here (ten large pizzas at £20+ each across ten teams) and wanted something back in return and have got some advertising hoardings at a time when it’s going to be difficult for clubs to shift advertising hoardings and at a time when the game as a whole needs as much help as it can get. As a short-term partnership, it’s not a bad deal for both sides and building a relationship with a big brand like this and at a time like this when we’re going into a World Cup year is important. 

This isn’t a major sponsorship as the Stobart one was, it’s not comparable to whatever Rugby Union has received in completely not like-for-like deals and it’s not a disaster that the Australian press are painting out. 

1 hour ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Potential Domino effect going on.

32 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Papa John’s are writing off thousands a week here (ten large pizzas at £20+ each across ten teams) 

Hmm, I think those figures are overegging the pudding - to mix the food analogies slightly.  I doubt giving away 100 pizzas a week results in thousands of pounds of loss to the accounts of international pizza business of Pappa Johns.

Perhaps thats what they might cost Joe Public to buy the pizzas from them if you bought them at shop prices - even then, like Dominos, the abundence of voucher codes and coupons means that you should never really be paying full price for a pizza at their gaff. 

I'm not sure what the cost of the ingredients per pizza are to PJ - I suspect it is considerably less than 20 quid. I know labour costs etc, but there is a healthy amount of profit in those prices even when they slash them in half. 

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Have to say I thought the fact that we are feeding professional sportsmen pizzas was something that should raise eyebrows. But I thought anything to bring extra cash into the game. To find out its for nothing is very concerning. Surely calls into to question once again what Elstone is getting paid for. Has he actually done anything which warrants his huge salary. He oversaw decline at Everton and the same thing is happening in RL. 

Archived