New Super League Sponsor

7 hours ago, JohnM said:

Wonderful, typical Rugby League fan. Always looking for the bad in everything and anything.. An absolute joke.

Apparently we're not allowed an opinion. That's what a forums for mate. And by the way my glass is always half full. Go and watch your soccer. 👍

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just seen SL have attracted another new sponsor in Lidl, no cash but LIDL will be supplying own brand bottled water to wash the Pizzas down with - Stobarts are distributing both to keep costs down, meanwhile many hundreds of thousands are paid to the high flying gurus running our sport

2 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

Apparently we're not allowed an opinion. That's what a forums for mate. And by the way my glass is always half full. Go and watch your soccer. 👍

Of course we are allowed an opinion. You expressed your and I expressed mine. Am I not allowed to do that, despite being a fan since 1957?

My soccer?  The game of billions - fans, spectators, viewers, £££s.👌

Barter deals (Contra) call it what you want are mostly a complete waste of time only good contra for Rugby League is an air travel deal for teams coming from down under for test matches and WC.

30 business class alone is worth around 150K contra thats a reasonable deal for a few mins of LED advertising over a few matches.

Paul

The pepperoni version of the Eddie Stobart Deal. Not so good if you do not like Pizza...

Perhaps a commericial like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQiO-4PCld4

• Better Ingredients
  • Better Pizza
  • Better Rugby

With James Graham biting ionto a PIzza after defusing a confrontation between Boots and the St George Dragon..

Still as they have celebrated their 100 year anniversary, perhaps that fine Fish and Chip establishment Bretts Restaurant in Headingley could be roped in as a sponsor to provide a free fish supper to away sides visiting Headingley

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Barter deals (Contra) call it what you want are mostly a complete waste of time only good contra for Rugby League is an air travel deal for teams coming from down under for test matches and WC.

30 business class alone is worth around 150K contra thats a reasonable deal for a few mins of LED advertising over a few matches.

Paul

I'm not sure I follow. 

Why wouldn't anything provided that offsets a cost be worthwhile? 

47 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm not sure I follow. 

Why wouldn't anything provided that offsets a cost be worthwhile? 

Because a Rugby League fan, who apparently has no real understanding of the amounts involved, but thinks it sounds bad, says so. Isn't that enough?

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Paul

Is the correct answer.

11 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

but i bet many can remember how much chips and curry sauce was at KFC due to the big screen try/no try.

It was chips and gravy. We don’t do posh chips and curry sauce in Australia. 😀

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

Of course we are allowed an opinion. You expressed your and I expressed mine. Am I not allowed to do that, despite being a fan since 1957?

My soccer?  The game of billions - fans, spectators, viewers, £££s.👌

Soccer, no morals whatsoever, no respect for officials, then they go down after tripping over a blade of grass. They surround the ref trying to intimate him/her. 

52 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I’ve read the production cost of pizza is £1.25, so if all 17 players have one that’s £42.50 a game. Can’t see how anyone can say this is a reasonable deal for Super League. 

The ingredients and immediate manufacturing cost is only a couple of quid, but then there are all the overheads to consider. Papa John's gross margin looks like it's usually around 30%. Assuming the average pizza sells for around £10 that's a true cost per pizza of around £7.50 each.

2 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

The ingredients and immediate manufacturing cost is only a couple of quid, but then there are all the overheads to consider. Papa John's gross margin looks like it's usually around 30%. Assuming the average pizza sells for around £10 that's a true cost per pizza of around £7.50 each.

My local pizza shop sells a large one for £4.99 and they won’t be selling them at a loss. 

The truth is Super League has effectively sold prominent advertising on TV & social media for the equivalent of about £50 a game. 

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

My local pizza shop sells a large one for £4.99 and they won’t be selling them at a loss. 

The truth is Super League has effectively sold prominent advertising on TV & social media for the equivalent of about £50 a game. 

Papa Johns will have far bigger overheads than your local takeaway. Their accounts say a 30% gross margin.

Regardless of the actual production cost, I completely agree it isnt going to be much.

For me, not getting a penny for this deal has brought back the unpleasant and embarassing ghost of Stobart.

37 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Papa Johns will have far bigger overheads than your local takeaway. Their accounts say a 30% gross margin.

Regardless of the actual production cost, I completely agree it isnt going to be much.

For me, not getting a penny for this deal has brought back the unpleasant and embarassing ghost of Stobart.

Yes what a deal that was. On a trip to London that year, my youngest Son was counting Stobart lorries on the M1, we saw over eighty and only three had the SL livery. They could give a bit back to the game by delivering the pizzas.

It never ceases to amaze how small time the people in charge of RL in this country are. Instead of being excited about having a club that can give them access to the North American TV market the rest of Super League make it clear that they are not really wanted and now they sell advertising slots in exchange for pizza instead of cash that the game in crying out for.

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

My local pizza shop sells some pizzas for half that price. They do however sell a lot so they probably make a decent profit. It only has an area of around 20 square metres for customers but they are famous for selling over 250,000 takeaway or home delivered pizzas a year.

I’m shocked my part of Canberra isn’t full of the morbidly obese...

If I drop of some beers after the match can I get a Super League sponsorship deal also? I am not sure one could even call this a sponsorship deal. If anything Super League are sponsoring Papa John's in exchange for some free pizzas.

8 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

That is a really odd way of looking at it. Like, really odd. 

The value is the market value to SLE, which isn't just the cost of the ingredients, or what another local pizza place sells for. 

There is a cost for food that SLE clubs will have. It may be say, a tenner per head, times 25 people. If this covers that, that is the value, not £1.50 a pizza. 

So if it was a tenner a head x 25 that's £250 per team, £500 per match. Times 5 games per week. £2.5k. Times however many weeks. 

And I'm pretty sure that the cost for Pappa John's to make their pizza is not £1.50 anyway. 

9 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

Soccer, no morals whatsoever, no respect for officials, then they go down after tripping over a blade of grass. They surround the ref trying to intimate him/her. 

Shome mishtake shurly! 😀

The place for faux moral high horses is on the football topic in aob😀😀

10 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I’ve read the production cost of pizza is £1.25, so if all 17 players have one that’s £42.50 a game. Can’t see how anyone can say this is a reasonable deal for Super League. 

How many Super League clubs are feeding their players for £1.25? None. Therefore the value of the deal is not what it costs the supplier, but what the cost to the game would otherwise be. 

And at the risk of labouring the point, if you think that the profit margin on takeaway pizzas is high, you should see what it is on protein powders - and yet nobody bats an eyelid when clubs give up shirt sponsorship and pitchside advertising in exchange for a pallet of that stuff. 

Maybe someone can put a value on what the highlights package sponsorship and additional pitch side advertising should be, and more importantly, why it should be that value.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

45 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Maybe someone can put a value on what the highlights package sponsorship and additional pitch side advertising should be, and more importantly, why it should be that value.

Similarly, I bet people wouldn't be happy to work out the cost of SL to put these ads out (negligible) stripping out the margin.

This is one of those things that benefits both of us for little cost either way.

Archived