Sign in to follow this  
Whippet13

New Super League Sponsor

6 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Assuming the LED pitchside rack rate at St Helens (multiplied by five), plus the value of pre-roll ads on Super League content,  you're probably looking at (best case scenario) a value of £2500-£3000 per round. Or 166 large double pepperonis.

Which really does highlight how people are looking at this problem in entirely the wrong way. The real problem is why RL can only provide £2,500-£3,000 worth of value to a potential sponsor.

That would pay a salary at Super League Europe. Ho hum.

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

It's only a good deal if it leads to a paying deal. But we know that those don't always materialise once you essentially give it away. 

Which would be the goal im sure. A paying deal. And if the engagement with fans is a successful one i'm sure that would be forthcoming.

Theres no reason to think it wouldn't.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

It's only a good deal if it leads to a paying deal. But we know that those don't always materialise once you essentially give it away. 

That isn't how it works at all.

About 20 years ago I worked for a company who supplied some services for Warrington - the payment was in advertising boards. No cash came anywhere near being exchanged, but Warrington had this service that they would otherwise have had to spend cash on, and the company I worked for got some awareness (in reality it was a vanity thing as there was no value in the ad boards).

Good deals can be had without cash changing hands.

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

That would pay a salary at Super League Europe. Ho hum.

Can you pay a salary in digital adverts?

You do see that SLE are not paying cash?

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

That isn't how it works at all.

About 20 years ago I worked for a company who supplied some services for Warrington - the payment was in advertising boards. No cash came anywhere near being exchanged, but Warrington had this service that they would otherwise have had to spend cash on, and the company I worked for got some awareness (in reality it was a vanity thing as there was no value in the ad boards).

Good deals can be had without cash changing hands.

So you do think this is a good deal?

Edited by Man of Kent

I don't feel strongly either way, we don't have the details. But I do know there is a lot of ignorance in the criticism of it.

If we had a post-match food cost of say £30k that we now no longer have, that is surely to be welcomed?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

It's a very typical deal that people who have no understanding of how the business of sport works seem to think is outrageous.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If we had a post-match food cost of say £30k that we now no longer have, that is surely to be welcomed?

Since when has it been the responsibility of a governing body to feed the players? 

The truth is - as it stands - it's a pathetic deal that sends a message that you can sponsor & advertise with the flagship comp of British RL for the cost of a few pizzas. It's deserving of all the criticism it's getting. 

Edited by Man of Kent

Since when has it been the responsibility of a governing body to feed the players? 

The truth is - as it stands - it's a pathetic deal that sends a message that you can sponsor & advertise with the flagship comp of British RL for the cost of a few pizzas. It's deserves all the criticism it's getting. 

I'm not sure of your point - if SLE signs a deal, the money goes to the clubs. 

You may think it is a low value deal, that is fine, but some of your arguments - the price of dough, paying an employee in digital billboards and now claiming that the value does not go to clubs are just odd.

It doesn't need any more than saying it is too cheap.

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm not sure of your point - if SLE signs a deal, the money goes to the clubs. 

You may think it is a low value deal, that is fine, but some of your arguments - the price of dough, paying an employee in digital billboards and now claiming that the value does not go to clubs are just odd.

It doesn't need any more than saying it is too cheap.

So it's a bad deal, then. Agreed!

14 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

sends a message that you can sponsor & advertise with the flagship comp of British RL for the cost of a few pizzas.

Because, even if you make some generous assumptions, the numbers show that that's all that Super League sponsorship is worth, given the value we provide to those sponsors. 

You can blame SL for this "deal", or you can attack the real problem - that RL sponsorship is a fundamentally poor business proposition due to what we can offer those sponsors. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

So it's a bad deal, then. Agreed!

If you want to have a discussion, happy to oblige. If you want to be a troll, I'm not interested.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Because, even if you make some generous assumptions, the numbers show that that's all that Super League sponsorship is worth, given the value we provide to those sponsors. 

You can blame SL for this "deal", or you can attack the real problem - that RL sponsorship is a fundamentally poor business proposition due to what we can offer those sponsors. 

That's quite a leap from this obviously poor deal. Isn't the Betfred sponsorship worth around £1m?

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

That's quite a leap from this obviously poor deal. Isn't the Betfred sponsorship worth around £1m?

Around 1 million is what individual top Championship football clubs get for their front of shirt sponsorships. Not loads really is it.

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Some sponsors will find more value than others. Betfred will also get much more prominence for their deal than Papa Johns will for its deal. 

In the case of Betfred, they get title sponsorship (and the prominence and signalling that comes with that), access to an audience that has a clear interest in sport (and by extension, what they offer), they get a form of advertising that is arguably less politically sensitive than other forms of advertising and they get an opportunity to get the brand name-checked in editorial (not least the BBC). They may find that those benefits are worth £1m. 

But sponsors that find that level of value will be few and far between. For Papa Johns, I have no doubt that they will simply see this as a slightly higher level of outdoor media - which itself is incredibly cheap even at the best of times - with some digital thrown in.  

The crux of the issue here is that Super League has:

• a small audience,
  • an audience that generally falls into lower-income demographic groups,
  • an audience with lower levels of spending power than many advertisers are looking for
  • an audience that is very easy and cheap to reach through mediums other than sport. 

Advertisers generally have a good idea of what it costs to reach the audiences they want to reach, and no amount of "better commercial accumen" fundamentally changes that. Yes, we can look for ways to ensure the sponsorship provides more value, but you're never going to get a sponsor to pay more than an audience is worth, unless it's for vanity or altruism. 

If Super League wants more and better sponsorship deals, the clubs need to get much better at communicating with the audiences that those advertisers want, but may well struggle, to reach. 

Edited by whatmichaelsays
  • Like 3

Whether you think the deal is good or bad or will ultimately lead to a more fruitful sponsorship next year or not, clearly the major problem here is most people, me included only heard about this when it began to be widely ridiculed on social media and outspokenly mocked by fox sports in Australia.

How does this look to other potential sponsors?

Will bachelors offer peas instead of pounds?

Edited by tuutaisrambo

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

13 minutes ago, tuutaisrambo said:

Whether you think the deal is good or bad or will ultimately lead to a more fruitful sponsorship next year or not, clearly the major problem here is most people, me included only heard about this when it began to be widely ridiculed on social media and outspokenly mocked by fox sports in Australia.

That's an interesting point, because I made the point that the amount of coverage they get is pretty small - yet detractors are claiming that it is prominent and has millions of eyeballs on it. 

But on the flipside, the reason you read about it on fox sport was because SLE released a press conference telling everyone about it, so they did shout about it and make people aware.

And on your mushy peas point, I do recall a similar amount of noise about how bad an image Mushy Peas was as a sponsor - I do wonder why any company would want to invest in RL and try and appeal to us lot.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Some sponsors will find more value than others. Betfred will also get much more prominence for their deal than Papa Johns will for its deal. 

In the case of Betfred, they get title sponsorship (and the prominence and signalling that comes with that), access to an audience that has a clear interest in sport (and by extension, what they offer), they get a form of advertising that is arguably less politically sensitive than other forms of advertising and they get an opportunity to get the brand name-checked in editorial (not least the BBC). They may find that those benefits are worth £1m. 

But sponsors that find that level of value will be few and far between. For Papa Johns, I have no doubt that they will simply see this as a slightly higher level of outdoor media - which itself is incredibly cheap even at the best of times - with some digital thrown in.  

The crux of the issue here is that Super League has:

• a small audience,
  • an audience that generally falls into lower-income demographic groups,
  • an audience with lower levels of spending power than many advertisers are looking for
  • an audience that is very easy and cheap to reach through mediums other than sport. 

Advertisers generally have a good idea of what it costs to reach the audiences they want to reach, and no amount of "better commercial accumen" fundamentally changes that. Yes, we can look for ways to ensure the sponsorship provides more value, but you're never going to get a sponsor to pay more than an audience is worth, unless it's for vanity or altruism. 

If Super League wants more and better sponsorship deals, the clubs need to get much better at communicating with the audiences that those advertisers want, but may well struggle, to reach. 

I do also think that there needs to be context taken into account here. They aren't a major partner, as you have pointed out, they get some ads from us that are worth little for providing some goods that we need. It really is just like the sports drink and protein mix suppliers as you highlighted earlier. 

It is a very minor deal - the value is minor each way. Their logo doesn't even appear on the SLE website as a partner.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Around 1 million is what individual top Championship football clubs get for their front of shirt sponsorships. Not loads really is it.

Buys a lot of pizza!

46 minutes ago, tuutaisrambo said:

Makes us look like we'll sell TV coverage (via hoardings) and social media sponsorship for the equivalent cost of £50 a match! 

6 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Top championship clubs turn over more than SL combined 

30 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Top championship clubs turn over more than SL combined 

Not any more, we got promoted 😉

16 minutes ago, An Coats said:

The game has become the quid shop of the high street......

Is this an area of yur expertise?

Four legs good - two legs bad