Dave Woods-Steve McNamara Interview

On the 15th day of August a public holiday here. Paris and Lyon make the Champions League semi finals for the first time. On this Saturday Catalans are on top of the Super League and Toulouse Olympique lead the Championship. Interestingly PSG formed in 1970 whilst their German opponents Leipzig - arrived quite recently in 2009.A changing world.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

33 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I listed to it this morning, was surprised to hear that Cats are picking up the whole cost of travel (c.£50k) every week, the other clubs and SL itself should be helping out imho. 

And that Eddie is exactly the reason why I said that man deserves a medal, plus `For Services to Rugby League`

46 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I listed to it this morning, was surprised to hear that Cats are picking up the whole cost of travel (c.£50k) every week, the other clubs and SL itself should be helping out imho. 

Yeh I think that was mentioned on the match coverage . Really did make me sit up and take notice , that’s a huge expenditure . Outstanding backing and doing the game a service by definition . I’m surprised mind that he has to take all that on himself 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

I read a while back that they were being pressured into paying for it.  It's yet another bush league move by the so-called "Super League".

24 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I read a while back that they were being pressured into paying for it.  It's yet another bush league move by the so-called "Super League".

Love the `bush league` crack, that`s something you hear over here. Bush league, bush doctor , bush tucker, bush telegraph 

26 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Love the `bush league` crack, that`s something you hear over here. Bush league, bush doctor , bush tucker, bush telegraph 

So what is this eponymous bush , anywhere that isn’t a city ?

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

Yeh I think that was mentioned on the match coverage . Really did make me sit up and take notice , that’s a huge expenditure . Outstanding backing and doing the game a service by definition . I’m surprised mind that he has to take all that on himself 

I imagine he runs a tight ship at Guasch Viandes and is not short of a euro or two.  However, perhaps his love of the game comes through in this sort of context.  And I specifically mean love of the game from a player's perspective as - and I think I am right in saying this - he is one of the comparatively few SL chairmen who have, in their younger days, been a player of the game.  I think I read that he was a half-back with both XIII Catalans and St Esteve XIII, the two integral parts of the Dragons, in his time.

As a slight aside, which SL chairmen have, like Bernard Guasch, played the great game?

8 hours ago, DavidM said:

So what is this eponymous bush , anywhere that isn’t a city ?

Off the top of my head, David, I would say the imagery that springs to mind is one of `straggling gum trees lining dusty dirt roads `or even unmarked narrow sealed roads where you instinctively pull a little to the side when passing another car and drivers who acknowledge each other with a raised forefinger, not a great deal of the signs of habitation, so maybe a little further away from the main regional centres that may well still be described as the `country`.

I thought he was very balanced and pragmatic. The interview gave some interesting insight into the club and how they are coping with Covid. Guasch is clearly doing a brilliant job keeping them going through the crisis and they appear to have serious aspirations to consistently be a top club.

He also correctly pointed out that junior development is one of the critical factors behind the success of Leeds, St Helens, Wigan and (formerly) Bradford in remaining at the top and consistently winning SL. It's something they are actively addressing.

I was interested in his views on the new rules and how he believes the 6-again is increasing injury levels in the NRL. He agreed the 6-again and the removal of scrums have made the game more spectacular but expressed concern a high attrition rate will be replicated in SL as we get deeper into the season.

I also learnt "it is what it is".

34 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

I also learnt "it is what it is".

.Look, basically, if I'm being honest, at the end of the day, no word of a lie, when all's said and done, it is what it is, so that's what I think

5 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

I thought he was very balanced and pragmatic. The interview gave some interesting insight into the club and how they are coping with Covid. Guasch is clearly doing a brilliant job keeping them going through the crisis and they appear to have serious aspirations to consistently be a top club.

3rd place in 2008 under Mick Potter. 4th in 2012 under Trent Robinson. Under Steve McNamara a Wembley success in 2018 which lead to 31,555 in Barcelona the year after. An English imput has grown. Leon Pryce and Elliot Whitehead led the way. The Wigan connection ever present. Guasch and Lennigan brothers in arms from day one. There back line in 2020 the quickest they've ever had I think.They have twice been 80 minutes from Old Trafford 2009 under Kevin Walters and 2014 under Laurent Frayssinous.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Archived