I love watching cycling, though I haven,t ever done much cycling myself. Like thousands of other blokes, I have a mountain bike which has the important role of always getting in the way in the garage.

I always favoured Team Sky, though I hated their robotic tactics. Fortunately, I don't have to in this year's Tour de france because hey have only picked one British rider ... Luke Rowe. Luke and Ian Stannard have been my favourite riders since Jens Voight packed up; buried themselves for the team in the both stage races and classics. Obviously, I'll still be rooting for Luke.

This year, I will be rooting for

Team:Lotto Soudal.

Domestique: Luke Rowe

Climber: Esteban Chaves

Rouleur: John Degenkolb

Sprinter: Arnaud Demare

Obviously, I'll have to nominate a substitute if any of these miss the race

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well one of those riders, Arnaud Demare, has had a great week. Picked up two stage wins and overall victory in the Tour de Wallonie, the biggest win of his career to date.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I basically gave up following the pro sport since the late nineties, when it finally and definitively revealed itself as an utterly corrupt joke. I realise things have changed since a lot since then, but I still don't really trust them.

I do still ride a road bike and turn out for the odd local time trial at my club, but I've never really been any use and I'm even worse now.

the idea of watching some random blokes ride past me dressed like twots on bikes doesnt do it for me - if they had to use a raleigh grifter and carry my old pe kit and class books in a rucksack during their jolly pedals it may make it more interesting 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

15 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

if they had to use a raleigh grifter and carry my old pe kit and class books in a rucksack during their jolly pedals it may make it more interesting 

Don't give up on that dream. After all, BMX made it to the Olympics.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Arnaud Demare tops off a wonderful few days by winning the French National Road Race Championship in a terrific three way finish with Alaphillipe and Coquard. 

Plenty of spectators along the route too in the beautiful Breton countryside.

On 20/08/2020 at 00:12, Wolford6 said:

British championships should be on this week; doesn't seem to be on live TV.

The only info I could find was that the British championships have been binned for 2020.

French and Spanish national championships have been on Eurosport this weekend.

Primož Roglič is favourite for the Tour. Not surprising with the way Jumbo-Visa are set up. Tom Dumoulin is also a good backup. 

I like the way Julian Alaphilippe races (always smiling) but not sure Quick Step will have enough to help him win. 

I also like Thibaut Pinot. Last year he was so close...😔 

Maybe this year a Frenchman can win the Tour? Good luck to the authorities trying to keep the crowds away, in the last few days, if a Frenchman is close to winning for the first time in 35 years. 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

On 24/08/2020 at 18:02, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Primož Roglič is favourite for the Tour. Not surprising with the way Jumbo-Visa are set up. Tom Dumoulin is also a good backup. 

I like the way Julian Alaphilippe races (always smiling) but not sure Quick Step will have enough to help him win. 

I also like Thibaut Pinot. Last year he was so close...😔 

Maybe this year a Frenchman can win the Tour? Good luck to the authorities trying to keep the crowds away, in the last few days, if a Frenchman is close to winning for the first time in 35 years. 

Watched the team presentations from Nice. Jumbo-Visma have got a very strong team indeed. Look as if they could take over the Sky/Ineos school bully mantle. Could be a tremendous battle between those two teams.

Pinot looks a decent each way bet at 13/2. As long as the team make it to Paris that is.

On 19/08/2020 at 19:47, Wolford6 said:

I love watching cycling, though I haven,t ever done much cycling myself. Like thousands of other blokes, I have a mountain bike which has the important role of always getting in the way in the garage.

I always favoured Team Sky, though I hated their robotic tactics. Fortunately, I don't have to in this year's Tour de france because hey have only picked one British rider ... Luke Rowe. Luke and Ian Stannard have been my favourite riders since Jens Voight packed up; buried themselves for the team in the both stage races and classics. Obviously, I'll still be rooting for Luke.

This year, I will be rooting for

Team:Lotto Soudal.

Domestique: Luke Rowe

Rouleur: John Degenkolb

Sprinter: Arnaud Demare

Obviously, I'll have to nominate a substitute if any of these miss the race

Degenkolb is out already after yesterday's carnage in the rain. Seems like half the peloton hit the tarmac at some point.

Thankfully the sun is shining today as the riders roll out of Nice.

20 hours ago, Ullman said:

Degenkolb is out already after yesterday's carnage in the rain. Seems like half the peloton hit the tarmac at some point.

Thankfully the sun is shining today as the riders roll out of Nice.

For board members, yet to follow the race:

John Degenkolb got quite badly banged up on a first day of utter carnage on slippery roads. He got to the finish line after picking himself up and riding alone for 65 kilometres. He was disqualified for finishing two minutes past the cutoff time. I initially thought this was a disgrace because, if he'd been French, there's not much doubt there would have been some sympathy. However, he was interviewed before  yesterday's stage and said that there was no way that he would have been able to start. Still my favourite rider.

Phillippe Gilbert, his team-mate and friendly rival, is also out. He crashed and finshed within time. However, he'd broken his kneecap on the way ... these lads are absolute lions.

Arnaud Demare hasn't started the race; probably a wise move given the gruelling opening stages. He's saving himself for the Giro d'Italia.

The carnage of the first couple of days may mean that some teams will change tactics and target stage wins more than overall wins. If so, riders will be more individualistic. The exception is (Sky) Ineos, who look as relentlessly efficient as they always do in this race.

Therefore, I'm amending my fave riders in this race to two old favourite old warhorses who won't win anything but will give it a go:

Rouleur: Nicolas Roche              &                        Sprinter: Andre Greipel

Difficult to tip a winner for Stage 3 today. Riders face a lengthy slog up and down some medium (by TDF standards)  hills, but then a long flat third will probably end in a sprint finish.

Climbers will go for early points ... In addition to my chosen climber ... Esteban Chaves ... Adam Yates looked good yesterday and the Ineos machine looked to be conserving energy for today. Hugh Carthy is an unsung British climber who could make the podium in a few stages. Julian Alaphilippe won yesterday but looked all in at the finish.

Sprinters may have had their speed reduced by the early slog. Andrei Greipel and Alexander Kristoff are strong and may fight it out with Peter Sagan and Caleb Ewan.

Anyone can join a free tipping competition on Superbru  ... https://www.superbru.com/home/index.php. Each day you can pick four riders in nominated categories. Have a go, it's fun. My useless picks on Superbru today are:

Team Leader: Dan Martin

Sprinter: Caleb Ewan

Wildcard: Matteo Trentin

Wildcard: Edvald Boasson Hagen

9 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

For board members, yet to follow the race:

Top post and an excellent synopsis.

Agree with your "lions" comment. These blokes are among the toughest in world sport.

Climbs and descents all day on Stage 4, plus the finish at the top of a mountain. To me, it looks like a course that suits Adam Yates.

Bernal and Carapaz will be favourites because of  Ineos has unmatchable support strength and a full complement of riders. However,  I can't vote for this year's Ineos like I won't vote for the Rhinos in any tipping competition. The other teams will be trying to grind down Ineos' superdomestiques before the base of the last climb, in order to give their own  best climbers a chance.

My Superbru selections:

Team Leader: Adam Yates

Climber: Guillaume Martin*

Wildcard: Hugh Carthy*

*Because  the Selection Images are set out in a square, these read as "Martin Carthy" ! 🎵

Bit of a strange finish for me today. The drive to the base of the last climb succeeded in wearing down the Ineos train ... former world champion Michal Kwiatkowski finished ~3minutes down and Pavel Sivakov who won the last Tour of the Alps finished 20 minutes down. 

However, then no-one put down the hammer over the last 2 kilometres. Roglic did look good, though.

Flat stage tomorrow. though, cleverly, Superbru only allows one sprinter in the four picks ... and Sagan is not in the list.

My unhopeful picks:

Team Leader: Primoz Roglic

Sprinter: Matteo Trentin

Attacker: Matej Mohoric

Wildcard: Greg van Avermaet

4 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

He'll finish 2nd. 😉 

Just looking at the live odds and he'll do well to finish 2nd according to the bookies.

22 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

He'll finish 2nd. 😉 

Fourth, you were closer. Didn't quite have the kick I was expecting on the uphill finish. Sam Bennett now looks a genuine threat in the green jersey contest.

Archived