• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, LeeF said:

So Adam Yates says he isn’t interested in the Yellow Jersey and wants to focus on stage wins. 

24 hours later

Yates is the current Yellow Jersey holder

Both those things can be true, a stage win early enough in the race can often come with a free yellow jersey. I imagine it would be tempting to defend the jersey once you'd got it though, even if not in the original plan...

49 minutes ago, wilsontown said:

Both those things can be true, a stage win early enough in the race can often come with a free yellow jersey. I imagine it would be tempting to defend the jersey once you'd got it though, even if not in the original plan...

Yes but he didn’t win a stage with the leader, Alaphilippe, losing it via a 20 second penalty

Real shame for Alaphillipe to lose the jersey that way but what a balls up by his team. Adam Yates looked almost embarrassed at the presentation, not how anybody would want to take it. 

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Bit of a disappointnting end today; all the main candidates played it safe and Ineos led the procession up the mountain behind the breakaway.

Stage 7 has a few bumps along the way, but nothing major and a long flat finish. Again, Superbru only allows one sprinter-selection. Without any confidence,  I've gone for:

Team Leader: Adam Yates

Sprinter: Alexander Kristoff

Attacker: Baulke Mollema

Attacker: Matej Mohoric

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

5 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Au revior Pinot. Au revior Alaphilippe. 

Bonjour Martin. Bonjour Bardet. 

GC all over for Pinot after a disastrous day for him but a great one to watch. Lost count of the number of times the commentators said Yates was losing his grip on the race lead but he starts in yellow again today.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I haven't really seen much footage 'til this weekend. Far too many people with no masks or masks tucked under their chins, bellowing into the faces of the riders. Bunch of incredible dickheads with no self-awareness.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Roglic showed his team is stronger than Ineos and Mitchelson Scott. Still not guaranteed to be between these two because there's still the alps to come. The climbs are longer and hotter than in the Pyrenees, though not as steep. Martin and Yates are still live contenders and the top 11 all have a chance.

Two days in the Pyrenees:

Yesterday: Nans Peters won after a fantastic breakaway.

Today: Nans Peters finished 139th.

Rest day tomorrow and Tuesdays stage is on the flat. I'll make my selections on the day because I think the weather conditions may make a difference.

19 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I haven't really seen much footage 'til this weekend. Far too many people with no masks or masks tucked under their chins, bellowing into the faces of the riders. Bunch of incredible dickheads with no self-awareness.

Nicholas Roche said when he saw the fans on the Peyresourde he got the old familiar goosebumps and adrenaline rush that the crowds give the riders then immediately thought this can't be right.

Today could turn out to be the first time a rest day has been the most decisive day in the Tour. Fingers crossed for no covid positives.

12 hours ago, Ullman said:

Tirreno-Adriatico underway today with some big names such as Froome, Thomas, Nibali and Simon Yates involved.

It’s the warm up for the Giro and with those named taking part both races should be entertaining

Interesting to hear Bernie Eisel on Eurosport tonight. He criticised this year's route, saying it's been much too hard and riders aren't getting enough relaxing stages between hard-slog stages. He is veteran road-captain and thinks domestiques could get burnt out by the workload.

Today's flat-profile stage followed a rest day, and the veteran sprinter Andre "the Gorilla" Greipel finished fifth in a bunch sprint. This was great for me because Andre's always been my favourite sprinter. However Andre, who's built like a tank but lost a lot of speed and has stitches after a crash, should never have finished that high.

It sounds like Bernie Eisel has a point. The battle in the alps should be fascinating.

11 hours ago, LeeF said:

It’s the warm up for the Giro and with those named taking part both races should be entertaining

I don't know if it's what Geraint Thomas would have chosen but the Giro represents a great opportunity for him to join that elite band of riders who have won both the French and Italian grand tours. I'm looking forward to it.

Brutal day in the mountains today. The riders don't even hit them till the've done 100km in a temperature estimated at high twenties. I think big minutes will be won and lost.

My Superbru picks are:

Climber: Nicolas Roche

Climber: Danny Martinez

Wildcard: Hugh Carthy

12 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Brutal day in the mountains today. The riders don't even hit them till the've done 100km in a temperature estimated at high twenties. I think big minutes will be won and lost.

My Superbru picks are:

Climber: Nicolas Roche

Climber: Danny Martinez

Wildcard: Hugh Carthy

Missed the live coverage today so very much looking forward to the highlights.

20 hours ago, Charlie RL said:

Brutal day in the mountains tomorrow I read.  Maybe a Slovenian will crack?

Reads like it was probably so tough riders just wanted to get through it: 

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/tour-de-france-stage-17-analysis-winners-and-losers-on-the-loze/

Apparently is not all done with an early climb having potential to affect the GC tomorrow.

Archived