Words that should be spelt differently.

9 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Common mistake here.

The truth is we Frenchified our language while they maintained the original spellings of certain words.

Bloody French ... kill two birds with one stone here 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, I hate the way they have sabotaged our language!

Oh hang on...

Yeh our language which we made up ourselves on our own

PS which I’m still struggling to master 

44 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Yeh our language which we made up ourselves on our own

PS which I’m still struggling to master 

Yes, the english language is so expressive, it has that Je ne sais quoi. 

PS I'll confess to an element of schadenfreude at your struggles.

23 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I don't think too many posters will catch that....but I do!

On a related note, when I came over here I noticed, and it's still a real cringer when I hear it, many people pronounce it asHphalt and not asphalt.

1 hour ago, CanaBull said:

On a related note, when I came over here I noticed, and it's still a real cringer when I hear it, many people pronounce it asHphalt and not asphalt.

Probably folks that still burn wood for heat.

7 hours ago, Shadow said:

Be very careful, if you can believe Susie Dent (and I'll fight any man here that doubts Susie) many of these supposed Americansiations of English words are in fact the older, traditional English spellings that we have moved away from. Aluminum / Aluminium being a case in point. 

You could maintain accuracy and stil rant at our former Colonial friends for not moving with the times and having a language stuck in the past alongside their outdated measuring systems. 

Like ‘gotten’ which is often used by Americans and sounds ugly to my ears, but which has its roots in Middle English.

9 hours ago, DavidM said:

I get bugged by how AMERICA spells or says words and how they dumb things down  ...

But they can't say that about us though ... The wind was rough along the lough as the ploughman fought through the snow, and though he hiccoughed and coughed, his work was thorough.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

We’ve moved on though from burning people for heat , give us a break 

Serious Question:  How many people over there still burn wood in a woodstove for heat/cooking etc. in the colder times?

21 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Serious Question:  How many people over there still burn wood in a woodstove for heat/cooking etc. in the colder times?

Quite a lot , it’s an in thing . My brother has one 

8 hours ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

On the estate we are building, the residents received notes to say that on a certain date, they needed to park on their drives as the tarmacing would be taking place. Tarmacing? or tarmacking?

laying tarmac?

I would guess tarmacking is similar to drug trafficking... 

It's very ugly though, so I'd avoid it

11 hours ago, Kayakman said:

We do, though not for cooking, and it's not our primary source of heating. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

On 20/08/2020 at 11:25, Shadow said:

Be very careful, if you can believe Susie Dent (and I'll fight any man here that doubts Susie) many of these supposed Americansiations of English words are in fact the older, traditional English spellings that we have moved away from. Aluminum / Aluminium being a case in point. 

You could maintain accuracy and stil rant at our former Colonial friends for not moving with the times and having a language stuck in the past alongside their outdated measuring systems. 

"Are you copper bottoming my man?"

"No. I'm aluminiuming them ma'am."

14 hours ago, George Watt said:

Esculating instead of escalating is commonly heard here in Aus. Have been on numerous forums over the years and  definate instead of definite is a recurring occurrence.

Deffo, that's the case.

Has and as seem to be difficult for some people.

Archived