Words that should be spelt differently.

On 20/08/2020 at 20:50, Kayakman said:

Serious Question:  How many people over there still burn wood in a woodstove for heat/cooking etc. in the colder times?

Almost none will have it as a primary or sole source of heat but many have a wood burner as a lifestyle accessory.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 20/08/2020 at 00:45, Kayakman said:

OK here is one for ya:  How is it spelt; practice or practise?

Ahhh...the pain...I had better get out and practise more.  Gets them every time.

Always say to people if you're not sure look at advice/advise. Same rule but much more obvious.

On 20/08/2020 at 01:08, YCKonstantine said:

I will never not read epitome "eppy-toam" so it should be changed I reckon.

This reminds me of the word hyperbole, it's quite rarely used to the point that even many adults would read it as hyper-bowl. 

On 20/08/2020 at 11:25, Shadow said:

Be very careful, if you can believe Susie Dent (and I'll fight any man here that doubts Susie) many of these supposed Americansiations of English words are in fact the older, traditional English spellings that we have moved away from. Aluminum / Aluminium being a case in point. 

You could maintain accuracy and stil rant at our former Colonial friends for not moving with the times and having a language stuck in the past alongside their outdated measuring systems. 

Just like how fair dinkum is what English people used to say.

On 22/08/2020 at 10:42, Derwent said:

The one that infuriates me is the people who use of instead of have. As in should of, could of, would of. Bumbaclarts.

It is in fact just the natural way that language changes.

Written language is actually what complicates matters: had written language never been invented, I doubt anybody in England would even know that it is supposed to be have anymore.

Another example is 'do you know what I mean.' A lot of people already say something like 'dyanarmeen;' without writing within a few generations it would have changed into a single word that is unrecognisable from what it originally was.

One that increasingly irritates is "synced"

Back in the day we used to use "synch." with a full stop to indicate an abbreviation of synchronise. Somehow that got shortened to "sync" and the adopted as an actual verb to leave us with synced. 

I guess the literally challenged would read synch as cinch? (like those Brits who can't pronounce Thailand? ?)

Anyway, I still prefer synched or even synchronised. 

On 26/08/2020 at 21:59, JohnM said:

You got one then? 😀😀

Of course.

I hate it.

we had an open fire that Mrs Shadow chose to replace with a wood burner.

its ugly, as messy as an open fire and takes an age to warm up. I would gladly ditch it and go back to an open fire.

Archived