Knowles opts for England

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair play to Knowles. If you read the Sky article Here (much more comprehensive), he states of his pride at representing his heritage for Wales but he's English ultimately. He's given a good account of himself for us and at the level he's been playing at, he's pretty much the best loose forward in GB colours. 

Let's be honest, there's very little glamour in the the international game, especially for the Wales lads, so I've got huge respect for him turning out for us on those occasions 

7 minutes ago, Hughsehhh said:

Fair play to Knowles. If you read the Sky article (much more comprehensive), he states of his pride at representing his heritage for Wales but he's English ultimately. He's given a good account of himself for us and at the level he's been playing at, he's pretty much the best loose forward in GB colours. 

Let's be honest, there's very little glamour in the the international game, especially for the Wales lads, so I've got huge respect for him turning out for us on those occasions 

Fair point. I'll still like him as a player, except when he plays in home internationals.

I'd like Chester Butler to come through for us. Rhys Evans could also make a go of it.

We need a few players now though.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

15 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Fair point. I'll still like him as a player, except when he plays in home internationals.

I'd like Chester Butler to come through for us. Rhys Evans could also make a go of it.

We need a few players now though.

Yeah agree totally, we need a good few players. Knowles moving leaves a huge gap, both positionally and qualitatively

2 minutes ago, eal said:

When did Wales last play? Did they play any internationals in 2019?

November 2018 v Ireland. We've got some lined up for this Autumn. Whether they'll take place is anyone's guess.

Just looked at the "Elite Squad". It's got Caleb Aekins of Penrith Panthers in it. So he'll be a decent fullback. We've two good wingers and Elliot Kear as a good centre. Three good halfbacks.  Plenty of multi-positioners.

We need another prop and some luck with injuries.

I don't care what the eligibility rules are, England should never pick someone who has already played for another country.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

17 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Rubbish, people can have more than 1 Nationality, he qualifies for both Nations and can choose which he wants to represent, get over it.

Of course people can have multiple nationalities, and of course they can choose who to play for. That much is obvious. But players shouldn't be switching like this. And England should not be picking someone who has already played for someone else. I don't care if New Zealand (regularly) or Australia (occasionally) do it.

Wales have just lost their best player and he's not even guaranteed a game with us. It's just wrong.

13 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Rubbish, people can have more than 1 Nationality, he qualifies for both Nations and can choose which he wants to represent, get over it.

Don't talk soft it is like a marriage, the girl (country) suited him when he was penniless, but now he has earned a few bob she has become far less prettier than she once was so she gets ditched for a new model, like Nadera implies it should be a lifelong agreement.

Now saying that I am still very much in favour of having a GB team representative of these shores in 'proper international' series such as the Ashes, with the best will in the world and no matter how it is dressed up the World Cup is a contrived convenience of a competition inventing and populating teams with 'Foriegners' to make up the numbers, so for the sake of it split GB into the 'home' nations for the WC but for the real meaningful international competition unite these isles into the GB team.

Just now, Wolford6 said:

We need dual-nationality to expand the game.

What does it do to aid expansion if Morgan Knowles plays for Wales whilst still young and developing, only to switch to England once he's fulfilled his potential? Same for when Frizell switched to Australia? Or John Kear recently begging Bradman Best to play for Wales for a year or two before he gets picked for Australia? 

Shaun Wane has made some very strong comments about not picking Aussies for England, but he's quite happy to pick someone who has already played for another country? 

5 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

Of course people can have multiple nationalities, and of course they can choose who to play for. That much is obvious. But players shouldn't be switching like this. And England should not be picking someone who has already played for someone else. I don't care if New Zealand (regularly) or Australia (occasionally) do it.

Wales have just lost their best player and he's not even guaranteed a game with us. It's just wrong.

If Morgan was a dyed-in-the-wool Welshman, he wouldn't have switched colours. Fair enough.

Players will naturally have a wish to win a World Cup. When he's getting on a bit, he'd be welcome back to provide a valuable touchstone for young Welsh players coming through. Same would apply if he fell out with the English coaching regime. 

However, in a lifetime, only two countries should be allowed per player.

No one slagged off George Fairbank when he played for England. There was no Scotland team at the time.

15 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

What does it do to aid expansion if Morgan Knowles plays for Wales whilst still young and developing, only to switch to England once he's fulfilled his potential? Same for when Frizell switched to Australia? Or John Kear recently begging Bradman Best to play for Wales for a year or two before he gets picked for Australia? 

We have had Australian-based players paying their own way to Wales to play for our team. I don't know if Tyson did but he put in a full effort every time he played. So did Justin Morgan and , especially, Mark Lennon.

I was in the hotel after Wales lost to America. The Welsh fans loved them just the same.

Genuine questions:

Are you Welsh?

Have you ever been to watch Wales play?

This is why we have to have England involved in the European championships. The other European nations need big games. 

I don't blame Knowles, I'd only play for Scotland or Wales RL because I was unlikely to be picked by England. But I dislike the idea of the other home nations being used as a stepping stone for England. Its happened at a high profile level in football twice recently with Declan Rice and Jack Grealish. At least they only switched after having played u21s and/or senior friendlies.

17 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

Shaun Wane has made some very strong comments about not picking Aussies for England, but he's quite happy to pick someone who has already played for another country? 

Because those Aussies weren't English ! they qualified because of some obscure heritage rule that permitted them to play for another country. Knowles is English born & bred and has every right to play for his home country.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

31 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

... no matter how it is dressed up the World Cup is a contrived convenience of a competition inventing and populating teams with 'Foriegners' to make up the numbers, so for the sake of it split GB into the 'home' nations for the WC but for the real meaningful international competition unite these isles into the GB team.

You wouldn't have said that if you'd seen Wales v Australia in the semi-final of the 2000 World Cup. Every Welsh player played above his reputation.

Australia: Lockyer, MacDougall, Girdler, Gidley, Sailor, Fittler (capt), Kimmorley, Webcke, Gower, Vella, Tallis, Fletcher, Hill. Replacements: Barrett, Kearns, Kennedy, Hindmarsh

Wales: Harris, Smith, Tassell, Critchley, Sullivan, Briers, Watson, Farrell, Cunningham, Moriarty, Morgan, Highton, Morley. Replacements: Davies, Atcheson, Devereux, Luckwell.

Archived