England Team if you were picking it now

OMEGA

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Translated as: 

" Are you seriously suggesting someone who doesn't play in the NRL or one of the Sky cup big boys regardless of how good or well they're playing?

Jake Wardle may have potential but he hasn't come through the academy system of one of the Sky cup big boys so therefore isn't an option!"

Not sure it's that controversial for experienced proven internationals and trophy winners like Roby and Clarke to be getting more recognition than and picked ahead of a Huddersfield academy product. You'd have a point if someone was suggesting the likes of Aaron Smith, but they're not.

I'll give you Hodgson though, my Nan can pass faster from dummy half than him.

3 minutes ago, Moove said:

Not sure it's that controversial for experienced proven internationals and trophy winners like Roby and Clarke to be getting more recognition than and picked ahead of a Huddersfield academy product. You'd have a point if someone was suggesting the likes of Aaron Smith, but they're not.

I'll give you Hodgson though, my Nan can pass faster from dummy half than him.

Hodgson wears a 9, but wants to play as a 7. 

44 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes he has, but he does not play the roll convincingly yet, a centre needs to be an organiser both defensively and on attack he plays an individuals game, watch him closely.

To be fair the cupboard is pretty bare.

54 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Off course he is wearing 7 on his back.  What does that prove?

That he’s playing scrum half . He’s playing like a scrum half - organising , linking play ,doing lots of kicking , creating lots of tries , being a running threat . And his defence is as rock solid as it’s possible to be . 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Ain't you got it Mr Posh, nobody has selected any Leeds player's in their teams thats why Sir Kev resorts to calling people clueless.

Like his namesake even after all the times he was selected the present Leeds players are not good enough for the international arena.

I have no Leeds players in my England 17 above Harry? 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes he has, but he does not play the roll convincingly yet, a centre needs to be an organiser both defensively and on attack he plays an individuals game, watch him closely.

This year every Brisbane player has been playing an individual game. It’s a bit of a response to their dire form and trying to drag themselves out of a slump.

7 minutes ago, Stanley30 said:

Off the top of my head how about :

evalds

johnstone

griffin

Newman

makinson/manfredi

connor

williams

Lees

mcshane

watts

currie

ashurst

whitehead

subs

powell

oledzski

walmsley

Hughes

Lol we would lose to Samoa by 30 points with this team!

32 minutes ago, DavidM said:

That he’s playing scrum half . He’s playing like a scrum half - organising , linking play ,doing lots of kicking , creating lots of tries , being a running threat . And his defence is as rock solid as it’s possible to be . 

No. He is playing on the right side of the field.  His other half back if playing left side of the field.

At Wigan he worked on the left with Farrell last season and Bateman before.  Hastings works the right with Farrell this season and I suggest it's not surprising that Farrell is in form at the moment.

Again I ask the question... not only has the traditional 13 disappeared but the traditional 7s job is now done by the 9.  

The 13 always had a big job... now it's done by 2 people, the 6 and 7, both of whom work with one of the second rows.

There are effectively no scrums. So no 13 to lock the scrum. No half at the scrum and no player to stand off the scrum half.  

I think there’s a few nailed on for there position. Then a few positions were there is a couple of options. I’d expect Wane to already have pencilled in  

1/ Tomkins

2/

3/ Percival

4/ Gildart

5/ Makinson

6/ Lomax

7/ Williams 

8/ Walmsley

9/ Hodgson ( if fit, if not I’d start McShane)

10/T Burgess

11/ Farrell

12/ Bateman

13/ Whitehead

14/ Clarke

15/ Sutton

16/ knowles

17/

still left with some very good players to fill the squad out. 

15 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

No. He is playing on the right side of the field.  His other half back if playing left side of the field.

At Wigan he worked on the left with Farrell last season and Bateman before.  Hastings works the right with Farrell this season and I suggest it's not surprising that Farrell is in form at the moment.

Again I ask the question... not only has the traditional 13 disappeared but the traditional 7s job is now done by the 9.  

The 13 always had a big job... now it's done by 2 people, the 6 and 7, both of whom work with one of the second rows.

There are effectively no scrums. So no 13 to lock the scrum. No half at the scrum and no player to stand off the scrum half.  

Yes . He’s  playing scrum half . Regardless of where they’re operating you still have halves playing different , complimentary roles . I think he plays differently to Wighton . I don’t believe in this theory that there’s no scrum half and there’s no stand off etc 

6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Yes . He’s  playing scrum half . Regardless of where they’re operating you still have halves playing different , complimentary roles . I think he plays differently to Wighton . I don’t believe in this theory that there’s no scrum half and there’s no stand off etc 

Seems to pop up all over the park in the several games I've watched.

Liam Farrell will hopefully get a role his talent warrants under Wane. He should be a nailed on starter for the national side, playing 80 minutes and bringing that unbelievable energy he brings to the Wigan team to the national side. He’s been criminally under utilised these past few seasons. The guy knocks out figures every week that are mind blowing (tackles, carries, metres, try’s, assists) but his billing never seems to have  matched his talent. It’s always mystified me how he seems to go under the radar. I hear people talk about a lack of size but I don’t buy it. He isn’t playing against dwarfs in superleague and whilst packs internationally do tend to be big, he uses his mobility and his engine to his advantage (no point playing him for 20/30 mins like international coaches have done at times). 

5 minutes ago, WN83 said:

Liam Farrell will hopefully get a role his talent warrants under Wane. He should be a nailed on starter for the national side, playing 80 minutes and bringing that unbelievable energy he brings to the Wigan team to the national side. He’s been criminally under utilised these past few seasons. The guy knocks out figures every week that are mind blowing (tackles, carries, metres, try’s, assists) but his billing never seems to have  matched his talent. It’s always mystified me how he seems to go under the radar. I hear people talk about a lack of size but I don’t buy it. He isn’t playing against dwarfs in superleague and whilst packs internationally do tend to be big, he uses his mobility and his engine to his advantage (no point playing him for 20/30 mins like international coaches have done at times). 

But we’ve got two of the best second rowers in the world 

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’m still shocked people are still persisting with McShane for England shouts. 

I would be happy to see McShane get a go.  He is a very good 9 but happens to be in the one position where we have decent competition for places.

What I can't believe is that people still stick Hodgson in the 13/17.  It isn't just that Hodgson has played badly for England, it is that England play badly when Hodgson plays.  He slows the play down to walking pace and doesn't add any value to the national team at all.  His style may suit the way that Canberra play but is proven time and again it doesn't work for England.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived