England Team if you were picking it now

OMEGA

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Has anyone suggested Welsby for the England side for the World Cup? I’ve not seen anyone suggest so. He’s also been very good this season attacking. He was caught out a bit last night defensively, mind. 

He's literally suggested and discussed in the posts above the one you quoted.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 23/04/2021 at 12:17, Man of Kent said:

But can England really afford a novice making those kind of basic errors in World Cup year? Defensive reads are fundamental for centres.  

For all those on here wanting Farnworth at center they should watch last weeks Brisbane game. They conceded 8 tries with 7 of them coming down Brisbane's right side and Farnworth directly at fault for at least 2 of them through poor defensive reads, coming up & in and taking nobody. 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

52 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

For all those on here wanting Farnworth at center they should watch last weeks Brisbane game. They conceded 8 tries with 7 of them coming down Brisbane's right side and Farnworth directly at fault for at least 2 of them through poor defensive reads, coming up & in and taking nobody. 

Fair enough.

As usual, centre is an issue for England. No real standouts.  

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

Who would you go for in the center's?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

53 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Who would you go for in the center's?

At the moment, unsure as there's no real stand-outs.

I think we've got some up & coming centers who show promise (Newman, Wardle, Farnworth, Welsby) but I don't think any of those are yet ready for International level. Based on form over the last year i'd probably go with Hardaker & King, though players like Percival & Gildart have a chance to shine throughout the rest of this season and push for a place.

Oh for the days when we had Connelly & Newlove who were as good as anything the Aussies & Kiwi's could produce.

1 hour ago, boris74 said:

If you always do what you always did...

I would happily throw a talented youngster (Welsby) with x factor into the side personally.

Trueman and Hastings the half backs on current form.

Over the last few years and indeed the start of this season the form No. 6 has been Lomax. Quite why past international coaches insisted on putting him at 1 is beyond me when his natural position has always been in the halves.

7 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

At the moment, unsure as there's no real stand-outs.

I think we've got some up & coming centers who show promise (Newman, Wardle, Farnworth, Welsby) but I don't think any of those are yet ready for International level. Based on form over the last year i'd probably go with Hardaker & King, though players like Percival & Gildart have a chance to shine throughout the rest of this season and push for a place.

Oh for the days when we had Connelly & Newlove who were as good as anything the Aussies & Kiwi's could produce.

I rate King very highly, he is a quality attacking centre.

Hardaker on the other hand is a very poor centre and should only be in the side as either a full back or a utility.

I hope that Newman comes back with some form as a centre partnership of King and Newman would be very exciting.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Over the last few years and indeed the start of this season the form No. 6 has been Lomax. Quite why past international coaches insisted on putting him at 1 is beyond me when his natural position has always been in the halves.

His lack of a kicking game and his habit of going missing when the Saints pack isn’t rampaging down the field perhaps.

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

His lack of a kicking game and his habit of going missing when the Saints pack isn’t rampaging down the field perhaps.

Name a current British half back that turns games when their pack isn't at least on par with their opposition ?

None of the others mentioned on this thread so far have that ability and none have been as consistently as good over the last few years.

12 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Name a current British half back that turns games when their pack isn't at least on par with their opposition ?

None of the others mentioned on this thread so far have that ability and none have been as consistently as good over the last few years.

i fear we are in for a pasting this time round - hope not but wouldnt be shocked 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

7 hours ago, Hughsehhh said:

I've read somewhere that Farnworth has been dropped from the elite training squad by Wane. Something to do with a lack of commitment

One thing that Herbie Farnworth cannot be accused of is lack of commitment. The kid is totally dedicated and extremely professional.

14 minutes ago, burnleywelsh said:

One thing that Herbie Farnworth cannot be accused of is lack of commitment. The kid is totally dedicated and extremely professional.

I completely agree with this.  He has shown nothing but dedication and professionalism as he has achieved his goals.

He is on the other side of the world, so what is his 'sin'.  Did he turn up late or miss a phone call or a zoom meeting, surely that isn't enough to throw him out of the squad entirely.

I am actually starting to convince myself of my own conspiracy theory that he has told Wane that he wants to play Origin.

12 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2021/04/23/match-highlights-eels-v-broncos/

To be fair. Farnworth was playing right centre as opposed to his usual left centre position. Against a team running red hot. Herbie and his winger were left isolated on numerous occasions. Some of those tries that you mention, while scored on the Broncos right, were nowhere near where Herbie was defending. You’re entitled to your opinion though. I could only see one try where I would say that he was at fault. You are entitled to your opinion though. But I don’t think that this performance rules him out of international selection when you see what the alternatives are. I wonder how the likes of Watkins, Percival et al would have coped in that game?

Just now, Dunbar said:

I completely agree with this.  He has shown nothing but dedication and professionalism as he has achieved his goals.

He is on the other side of the world, so what is his 'sin'.  Did he turn up late or miss a phone call or a zoom meeting, surely that isn't enough to throw him out of the squad entirely.

I am actually starting to convince myself of my own conspiracy theory that he has told Wane that he wants to play Origin.

Very strange . The kid has done amazingly well to get where he is . Hopefully Wane doesnt think hes not english enough 

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

He’s as English as you can get. 

It's intriguing though.  I want to know what Wane means by "the players know the standards expected of them as England players. Herbie’s standards have dipped below what I expect. It’s as simple as that".

It doesn't sound like a performance issue so what has he done to warrant being thrown out of the squad?  

There is no issue with Farnworth's form or behaviour off the field but that Wane has sensed a lack of total commitment from the player.

Wane said: "I keep a very close eye on the NRL and enjoy regular contact with the England squad players Down Under.

"The players know the standards expected of them as England players. Herbie's standards have dipped below what I expect. It's as simple as that."

Pass . Maybe his commitments been questioned coz he didnt turn up for the training session 

59 minutes ago, DavidM said:

There is no issue with Farnworth's form or behaviour off the field but that Wane has sensed a lack of total commitment from the player.

Wane said: "I keep a very close eye on the NRL and enjoy regular contact with the England squad players Down Under.

"The players know the standards expected of them as England players. Herbie's standards have dipped below what I expect. It's as simple as that."

Pass . Maybe his commitments been questioned coz he didnt turn up for the training session 

It’s only 10,200 miles,no commitment these young un’s 

Archived