England Team if you were picking it now

OMEGA

38 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

A match at wigan were we beat the Aussies he certainly stood out in that game. Can't remember the year without a bit of research. 

I remember that game, I think he was opposite Terry Hill and gave him nightmares with his strong and direct running. He was too big and a bit too tough for Hill.

What he lacked in subtle skills he made up for in physicality

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

I remember that game, I think he was opposite Terry Hill and gave him nightmares with his strong and direct running. He was too big and a bit too tough for Hill.

What he lacked in subtle skills he made up for in physicality

Shaun Berrigan and Willie Tonga were the Kangaroo centres that day.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

13 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, that is a good call.  I did think of Scofield but I thought he was a little earlier but looking at his profile he played internationally until '95.  He was one of the best of his generation, probably only behind Hanley in international quality.

As for Newlove and Senior, I think Newlove was miles better but these are all opinions.

One of our problems at Centre has been lack of choice.  We have plenty now but lack much choice of quality half backs and Props.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, that is a good call.  I did think of Scofield but I thought he was a little earlier but looking at his profile he played internationally until '95.  He was one of the best of his generation, probably only behind Hanley in international quality.

As for Newlove and Senior, I think Newlove was miles better but these are all opinions.

I think Schofield made his debut for GB in early 84 against France then went on tour with the Lions later the same year

6 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

I think Schofield made his debut for GB in early 84 against France then went on tour with the Lions later the same year

He did.  Scored my favourite try ever on that Lions tour. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

36 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

He did.  Scored my favourite try ever on that Lions tour. 

He scored two absolute beauty’s, one off a Des Drummond break but the other was sheer World Class from the whole team. Schofield handled 3 times to score over the length of the field.

3 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

He scored two absolute beauty’s, one off a Des Drummond break but the other was sheer World Class from the whole team. Schofield handled 3 times to score over the length of the field.

It's the latter I mean. Wonderful team try.

• 1 month later...
On 22/04/2021 at 11:05, Dunbar said:

1. Sam Tomkins

2. Tommy Makinson

3. Harry Newman

4. Herbie Farnworth

5. Tom Johnstone

6. Jonny Lomax

7. George Williams

8. Tom Burgess

9. Daryl Clark

10. Luke Thompson

11. John Bateman

12. Elliot Whitehead

13. Morgan Knowles

14. Alex Walmsley

15. Ryan Sutton

16. Mikolaj Oledzki

17. Paul McShane

I have been thinking about the way that the game is being played these days and with the best teams starting with massive speed and intensity to blow teams off the park, and I would change the way that I used my middle forwards.

From this 17, I would start with Sutton, Oleddski and Knowles in the middle and use their energy and defence to shore up the middle in the first 30 minutes and then start to introduce the likes of Walmsley, Burgess and Thompson for impact later in the first half.

1 hour ago, JM2010 said:

If thats the tactics then I'd probably replace sutton with Thompson

I think that Sutton's defence is better and Thompson would be more dangerous with the ball later in the game.  Sutton, Oledzki and Knowles are mobile and strong in defence.  I think we need that it the opening quarter.  The modern game is as much about pace in the opening quarter as power.

After watching tonight's Origin I think England's biggest challenge might be finding the right centres. If AUS plays T-Turbo and Latrell there's maybe 4 tries per game just between those two + whatever they set up for others.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I think that Sutton's defence is better and Thompson would be more dangerous with the ball later in the game.  Sutton, Oledzki and Knowles are mobile and strong in defence.  I think we need that it the opening quarter.  The modern game is as much about pace in the opening quarter as power.

Would you stick with Whithead and Bateman in the 2nd row?

10 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Would you stick with Whithead and Bateman in the 2nd row?

I would be very tempted to go with King and Currie on the left edge... they are both high quality and play together regularly.  With Lomax being an excellent left edge player and Tomkins injecting from full back, that could be very potent.

I think Bateman is the best right edge forward we have and I think he is much more effective there than in the middle.

47 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

After watching tonight's Origin I think England's biggest challenge might be finding the right centres. If AUS plays T-Turbo and Latrell there's maybe 4 tries per game just between those two + whatever they set up for others.

If fit both Mitchell & T.Turbo will be the Australian centres,we don’t have anyone to compare to those 2 and when you add Addo-Carr,Tedesco,Cleary & Munster we look to be in real trouble especially if the games are officiated the same way.

Only glimmer of hope is that Luai & To’o opt for Samoa but that will make them a far better team too.

Tommy Turbo and Latrell were both excellent today. Having them line up in the centres against an England team gives me nightmares.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Just now, EastLondonMike said:

Tommy Turbo and Latrell were both excellent today. Having them line up in the centres against an England team gives me nightmares.

They were great today. But I an not stressing over it. 

Mitchell is just as likely to get sent off as get a hat trick and while I don't wish injury on anyone of course Tommy T is a bit fragile. 

At the end of the last Origin series Capewell and Gagai were the best centres in Australia. 

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I would be very tempted to go with King and Currie on the left edge... they are both high quality and play together regularly.  With Lomax being an excellent left edge player and Tomkins injecting from full back, that could be very potent.

I think Bateman is the best right edge forward we have and I think he is much more effective there than in the middle.

I think you may need to substitute the word "is" for "was" in this. Before his injury he was brilliant for Canberra but he never regained that form at all in 2020. His performances so far this year for Wigan have also been somewhat underwhelming.

There's no doubting he has the ability but he hasn't been performing well for quite a while. The stand-out right side 2nd row from last year in SL was Bentley but sadly his injury means he's likely to miss most if not all of this season so that pretty much rules him out of contention.

Whitehead & Currie are probably the 2 best 2nd rowers at the moment but one of them will probably have to switch to the right side.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Trbojevic - that's a grand olde English name, isn't it?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

England won’t defend as cluelessly as Queensland did today and they won’t get dominated up front either.

Australia will be a class outfit as usual but don’t judge England’s chances based on the poor performance of that Queensland line up.

I often wonder why Cameron Munster is Teflon when it comes to criticism.  When he plays well everyone raves about him but when he is awful (like today) he never gets any stick.

Sorry... was meant to go on the SOO thread.

5 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

I think you may need to substitute the word "is" for "was" in this. Before his injury he was brilliant for Canberra but he never regained that form at all in 2020. His performances so far this year for Wigan have also been somewhat underwhelming.

There's no doubting he has the ability but he hasn't been performing well for quite a while. The stand-out right side 2nd row from last year in SL was Bentley but sadly his injury means he's likely to miss most if not all of this season so that pretty much rules him out of contention.

Whitehead & Currie are probably the 2 best 2nd rowers at the moment but one of them will probably have to switch to the right side.

What about McMeeken? I've been impressed with him this year. Could even play Sutton in 2nd row with us having a few options in front row already

1. Stefan Ratchford
2. Derrell Olpherts
3. Zak Hardaker
4. Toby King
5. Ryan Hall
6. Jonny Lomax
7. Gareth Widdop
8. Alex Walmsley
9. Daryl Clark
10. Mike Cooper
11. Ben Currie
12. Mike McMeeken