England Team if you were picking it now

OMEGA

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Is the WC being played as the NRL play the game ... or as SL play it ?

The ridiculous thing is we don’t know and probably won’t until the games start and depending on how the rules are being interpreted will surely have a bearing on team selection.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

The ridiculous thing is we don’t know and probably won’t until the games start and depending on how the rules are being interpreted will surely have a bearing on team selection.

Exactly 

16 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Is the WC being played as the NRL play the game ... or as SL play it ? May have a bearing on selection 

9 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Which specific laws/interpretations are you referring to here?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Which specific laws/interpretations are you referring to here?

Is there scrums , just six agains for everything , penalties for offside . The things affecting the tempo of the game 

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Is there scrums , just six agains for everything , penalties for offside . The things affecting the tempo of the game 

Thanks.  So the specific laws rather than interpretations (i.e. penalizing the roll ball play the ball).  Is there not a set of international laws already defined or is the intention to review/rewrite these before the World Cup?  Genuine question, I don't know.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Thanks.  So the specific laws rather than interpretations (i.e. penalizing the roll ball play the ball).  Is there not a set of international laws already defined or is the intention to review/rewrite these before the World Cup?  Genuine question, I don't know.

I don’t . Either way in several aspects around laws and interpretations players will be playing a game they haven’t been playing . 

by the way , referees reffing a game they haven’t been reffing . Are we getting the high tackle clampdown from NRL refs

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Your correct Radley isn’t English and hasn’t expressed an interest in playing for England but calling him nothing is just ridiculous.

He's just your typical NRL workhorse who puts in the odd big hit that gets him noticed (and nowadays banned). He's not a great tackle buster, or off-loader, nor is he particularly creative with his passing or footwork. He's just a good solid, dependable back rower, not any sort of 'x factor' player that makes you sit up and think wow I wish we could get him to play for England, he would massively improve out chances of success.

If we were desperate for a 13 (which England aren't) and we had to find an Aussie and dredge up some distant British relative then the form 13 in the NRL is probably Isiah Yeo. He's a far more skilfull back rower than Radley 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

17 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

He's just your typical NRL workhorse who puts in the odd big hit that gets him noticed (and nowadays banned). He's not a great tackle buster, or off-loader, nor is he particularly creative with his passing or footwork. He's just a good solid, dependable back rower, not any sort of 'x factor' player that makes you sit up and think wow I wish we could get him to play for England, he would massively improve out chances of success.

If we were desperate for a 13 (which England aren't) and we had to find an Aussie and dredge up some distant British relative then the form 13 in the NRL is probably Isiah Yeo. He's a far more skilfull back rower than Radley 

There must be Radley’s playing in the NRL because the one playing for the Roosters bears no resemblance to the one you are talking about.

But as this thread is about England selection & Radley isn’t English I won’t derail it anymore 

5 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Tom Burgess has been very good for Souths this year, not sure why you are saying he doesn't have any form.

Has he? Really? I dunno. Hes been alright, far from poor. But I wouldn't say hes been one of their best in an okay team.

I think Whitehead has been the best performing of the NRL Brit forwards over the first part of the season (although different player to burgess) 

7 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

Has he? Really? I dunno. Hes been alright, far from poor. But I wouldn't say hes been one of their best in an okay team.

I think Whitehead has been the best performing of the NRL Brit forwards over the first part of the season (although different player to burgess) 

Souths are running 4th on the table.

Burgess is topping the run metres for them with an average of 132 a game.  The only other middle forward over 100 metres a game is Jai Arrow at 105 while the likes of Tatola, Nicholls and Knight are on 90, 89 and 85 respectively.  Unlike many other teams there are no outside backs racking up those big metres you hope for which is why Burgess is at the top of the list.

He also has the most metres per carry for the Souths middle forwards.  I would suggest he is doing a very good job laying the foundation for the likes of Mitchell, and Walker to attack.

34 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

I'd agree. I'd still have the later three on my England team though.

Not sure how Hodgson even gets into the squad with 3 players in the same position all far better players than him.

1 hour ago, thebrewxi said:

I agree,against the 2 standout teams the Panthers & Storm he was way off the pace.

6 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I agree,against the 2 standout teams the Panthers & Storm he was way off the pace.

Against the Panthers Bugress comfortably topped the run metres and post contact metres for the Souths forwards.  In a team that lost by 44 points he was one of the few that could hold his head up at the end.

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Against the Panthers Bugress comfortably topped the run metres and post contact metres for the Souths forwards.  In a team that lost by 44 points he was one of the few that could hold his head up at the end.

You really need to start watching the game and stop relying on stats,he was poor on both sides of the ball.

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

You really need to start watching the game and stop relying on stats,he was poor on both sides of the ball.

I watch all the Rabbitohs games. 

We have a difference of opinion and I am just pointing out the stats back up my opinion that Burgess has been Souths best forward this year and key to them being 4th in the table. 

If you want to come up with any evidence to back up your opinion then feel free.

I must admit chaps, in that game I remember there was a little spell where Burgess looked really good. I cant remember when in the match it was but I do remember a patch in that match where he seemed to be involved in everything down the middle.

Hed still walk into my england team, despite me thinking hes had not his best season so far.

8 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Pleased you agree - No - he shouldn't be anywhere near the squad or the team - if the other 3 were injured id play Houghton before Hodgson.

No, opposite clearly. I'm Hodgson's biggest fan and, although he has had a poor season this far by his high standards, he is still my first choice hooker by a long way.

I appreciate I am in the minority on this forum where most seem to hold Roby in god like status and seem to see hogson as a slow  one trick pony who takes an age to pass, which I just don't see watching every Canberra game for the past couple of seasons (but far from every Super League game).

But that's why we like these "pick you england team" threads, right. I'm  currently having a debate outside this forum where we botj agree Walmsly and Burgess should be in the team, but my mate is adamant they cant be on the pitch at the same time. It's all opinion and madness  but I love it. 

19 hours ago, DavidM said:

Its in England we should play the SL rules 

Also it gives us an advantage which I would hope as all those in IRL would see as a benefit. The international l game would benefit most if we win out of the 4 nations who realistically can win it

Is Elite 1 having scrums? 

4 players added to Wanes England squad: Joe Westerman, Reece Lyne, Tom Davies and Gareth Widdop, but no recall for Herbie Farnworth, which I don't suppose matters too much at the moment as he'd probably looking at players who may play in the All Stars game

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/58269/quartet-added-to-england-mens-squad?fbclid=IwAR0wahlZPjQUtjDXKPlAkNpYjy1HBuyIJKZjhlNRzfJzcjDWC7rxIYt8ov8

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

5 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

4 players added to Wanes England squad: Joe Westerman, Reece Lyne, Tom Davies and Gareth Widdop, but no recall for Herbie Farnworth, which I don't suppose matters too much at the moment as he'd probably looking at players who may play in the All Stars game

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/58269/quartet-added-to-england-mens-squad?fbclid=IwAR0wahlZPjQUtjDXKPlAkNpYjy1HBuyIJKZjhlNRzfJzcjDWC7rxIYt8ov8

I called Westerman 👍 a couple of pages back, & Widdop, but Widdop was obvious 

Archived