England Team if you were picking it now

OMEGA

Pleased that Wane has added another half back option and Widdop was probably the right choice.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

4 players added to Wanes England squad: Joe Westerman, Reece Lyne, Tom Davies and Gareth Widdop, but no recall for Herbie Farnworth, which I don't suppose matters too much at the moment as he'd probably looking at players who may play in the All Stars game

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/58269/quartet-added-to-england-mens-squad?fbclid=IwAR0wahlZPjQUtjDXKPlAkNpYjy1HBuyIJKZjhlNRzfJzcjDWC7rxIYt8ov8

Dear god we're really scraping the bottom of the barrel if were adding Westerman & Lyne !! 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

29 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Dear god we're really scraping the bottom of the barrel if were adding Westerman & Lyne !! 

Westerman has been playing really well the last four or five matches and deserves his call up.I am with you with Lynne i have never rated him as anything better than average and am surprised Wakey have kept him so long.

33 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

If it’s being picked on form then Westerman has been the best LF I’ve seen this year!

He offers something no one else does at the moment which is the ball playing back row forward role and maybe Wayne see’s him in the O’Loghlin mould. He’s also experienced and has the size to make his presence felt carrying the ball in.

Lyne I wouldn’t pick for the ladies team

1 minute ago, OMEGA said:

If it’s being picked on form then Westerman has been the best LF I’ve seen this year!

He offers something no one else does at the moment which is the ball playing back row forward role and maybe Wayne see’s him in the O’Loghlin mould. He’s also experienced and has the size to make his presence felt carrying the ball in.

Lyne I wouldn’t pick for the ladies team

Whats Westerman been doing for the last 14 years ?

He had 1 good season for Cas and Hull splashed out for him, but he never really performed except maybe for a few games leading to Warrington signing him, where lets face it he was a total flop. He got shipped off to Totonto, back to Hull and then finally onto Wakey, where  he hasn't exactly been pulling up trees except 3 or 4 games this year.

He's massively inconsistent and prone to some complete brain farts with silly offloads. Nowhere near the standard you need at International level. He got one shot for England before after having a couple of decent games for Hull but then disappeared again. Too much of a liability in something like the WC where you need your players to perform at the very top consistently for 3-4 weeks straight.

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

He had 1 good season for Cas and Hull splashed out for him, but he never really performed except maybe for a few games leading to Warrington signing him, where lets face it he was a total flop. He got shipped off to Totonto, back to Hull and then finally onto Wakey, where  he hasn't exactly been pulling up trees except 3 or 4 games this year.

He's massively inconsistent and prone to some complete brain farts with silly offloads. Nowhere near the standard you need at International level. He got one shot for England before after having a couple of decent games for Hull but then disappeared again. Too much of a liability in something like the WC where you need your players to perform at the very top consistently for 3-4 weeks straight.

I'll trust in Shaun. 

On 10/06/2021 at 13:24, Manfred Mann said:

On current form, the team will now likely be:

Sam Tomkins

Tommy Makinson. Herbie Farnworth, Mark Percival, Tom Davies

Johnny Lomax'

Gareth Widdop

Victor Radley

Elliot Whitehead, John Bateman,

Tom Burgess, Josh Hodgson, Luke Thompson

Interchange: Daryl Clark, Alex Walmsley, Ryan Sutton, Morgan Knowles 

Why would you name 1-7 and then 13 next?.

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

What an idiotic comment, whats the last 14 years to do with it, if you pick on form Westerman is the best LF in Britain at present and is tough enougH and big enough to actually bother the Aussies. Grow up, there are great players at other clubs the world doesn't stop at Saints.

6 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Why would you name 1-7 and then 13 next?.

The precepts of my religion have influenced me to take that massive step. Please  respect my decision.

11 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

It’s all to play for in many positions I think. Only the following nailed on at the moment:

1. Tomkins

4. T King

5. Makinson

11. Bateman

12. Whitehead

I think you are right that there is a lot to play for.  That's a good thing as players have to stay at the top of their form.

Personally I think Lomax is as close to nailed on for 6 as you can get as he is playing as well as ever and I think the choice is who to partner him with. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 10/06/2021 at 15:19, DavidM said:

Is there scrums , just six agains for everything , penalties for offside . The things affecting the tempo of the game 

The ptb will be different depending on which interpretation we go with. It’s pretty fundamental to how the game is played. I remember a comp a few years ago where we were told players they must get both feet back to the ref to be on side. So we spent the full SL season penalising players who didn’t. The internationals came around and all the was forgotten and it was reffed with players only having to get one foot back. We then spent the tournament slightly off the pace as our players were going back an extra yard. 

1 minute ago, bobbruce said:

The ptb will be different depending on which interpretation we go with. It’s pretty fundamental to how the game is played. I remember a comp a few years ago where we were told players they must get both feet back to the ref to be on side. So we spent the full SL season penalising players who didn’t. The internationals came around and all the was forgotten and it was reffed with players only having to get one foot back. We then spent the tournament slightly off the pace as our players were going back an extra yard. 

Yep

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I think you are right that there is a lot to play for.  That's a good thing as players have to stay at the top of their form.

Personally I think Lomax is as close to nailed on for 6 as you can get as he is playing as well as ever and I think the choice is who to partner him with. 

I agree… might be a bit too much for a couple of posters on here though! 😂

5 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

What an idiotic comment, whats the last 14 years to do with it, if you pick on form Westerman is the best LF in Britain at present and is tough enougH and big enough to actually bother the Aussies. Grow up, there are great players at other clubs the world doesn't stop at Saints.

The club he plays for has nothing to do with it. Its been 14 years since starting in SL and in all that time he's had nothing more than a few good games here & there resulting in him be shipped from club to club.

As I said previously his biggest problem is his inconsistency and him being prone to some total brain farts in games. Playing for England in the WC needs the players to be in good form right up to the tournament and to then be able to play at their very best for 3-4 consecutive weeks during the tournament. In 14 years he's never been able to play consistently well for any length of time and show he's capable of cutting out the stupid mistakes, particularly in big games.

Jake Connor, The one player that can make something (X factor) happen out of nothing doesnt get in the training squad.

Before anyone screams, he isnt the best full back! i'm not talking of putting him there. I would have him centre to Makinson again.

And before people say he is a liability..look at his England appearances so far..7 app 6 tries and numerous conversions. He has also laid on several tries on a plate for his team mates. And as far as i can remember he hasnt been a liability.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

2 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

The club he plays for has nothing to do with it. Its been 14 years since starting in SL and in all that time he's had nothing more than a few good games here & there resulting in him be shipped from club to club.

As I said previously his biggest problem is his inconsistency and him being prone to some total brain farts in games. Playing for England in the WC needs the players to be in good form right up to the tournament and to then be able to play at their very best for 3-4 consecutive weeks during the tournament. In 14 years he's never been able to play consistently well for any length of time and show he's capable of cutting out the stupid mistakes, particularly in big games.

Yet you don't mention Dan Sarginson, Jermaine McGillvary, Niall Evalds or Kallum Watkins or a few othet most notably at Warrington in recent weeks. None  are on anything like the form Westerman is on. Have you even watched him, has pulling Trinity through most games single handedly  for the last two years until we finally found some form. Isn't that what you need at International level especially as nobody has ever seriously doubted Westermans ability.

Connor not being in the squad has been done to death now, but if players like Lyne are ahead of him I have to conclude that he isn't in Wane's plans regardless of how he plays. He obviously just doesn't like him.

17 minutes ago, MZH said:

Connor not being in the squad has been done to death now, but if players like Lyne are ahead of him I have to conclude that he isn't in Wane's plans regardless of how he plays. He obviously just doesn't like him.

To be fair it seems like every game this season I've seen him he's giving away stupid penalties away. You can't do that in the WC.

If Tomkins gets injured I'd go for Ratchford.

44 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

To be fair it seems like every game this season I've seen him he's giving away stupid penalties away. You can't do that in the WC.

Yeah lets stick with tried and tested..its worked before.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

32 minutes ago, jacksy said:

Yeah lets stick with tried and tested..its worked before.

That would be a really strong argument if it wasn't for the fact Conner has played 8 tests and Ratchford 6.

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

He's also creating tries for fun. 13 try assists in 9 SL games. He isn't perfect, but he's a match winner and a player who has already proven himself at international level. Lyne is a nothing selection. He would have zero impact against the Aussies or Kiwis. Connor might lose you a game, but he could also cause them lots of problems if he's on his game.

Archived