England Team if you were picking it now

OMEGA

27 minutes ago, MZH said:

He's also creating tries for fun. 13 try assists in 9 SL games. He isn't perfect, but he's a match winner and a player who has already proven himself at international level. Lyne is a nothing selection. He would have zero impact against the Aussies or Kiwis. Connor might lose you a game, but he could also cause them lots of problems if he's on his game.

You are wasting your breath mate.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DavidM said:

Connor would be in my squad . For all the things that frustrate he can come up with something and utility value in a squad is important 

If you want to see utility, check out Herbie Farnworth. Played in five positions this season, fullback, left and right centre and both wing positions. Also kicks goals. But apparently Wane selects Reece Lynne ahead of him. Muppet.

8 hours ago, burnleywelsh said:

If you want to see utility, check out Herbie Farnworth. Played in five positions this season, fullback, left and right centre and both wing positions. Also kicks goals. But apparently Wane selects Reece Lynne ahead of him. Muppet.

Ok , will do 

13 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Only just really noticed, but Wane’s squad lacks a bit of youth… no younger players in the squad at all.

Only really Harry Newman from the current crop of young kids in the Super League (and Farnworth stood down from the squad).

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Even Papua New Guinea have a much better outside backline than England. We are in an awful period for quality atm

1. Johnstone 2. Coates 3. Mead 4. Olam 5. Gebbe/Macdonald

Do you think so. I think the following (if fit) could be an exciting a backline

1. Tomkins

2. Makinson

3. King

4. Newman

5. Johnstone

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Do you think so. I think the following (if fit) could be an exciting a backline

1. Tomkins

2. Makinson

3. King

4. Newman

5. Johnstone

We would have to have a lot of luck to have that backline out on the field. Fingers crossed the don't fall to injury again but still exactly how strong is it compared to other countries? 

Tomkins hasn't got a test cap for 7 years believe it or not!

We are only talking about 5 test caps for the other three-quarters there - yet they will be 30 (Makinson), 25 (King), 21 (Newman) and 26 (Johnstone) by the time the World Cup comes. None of them played in the last World Cup.

10 minutes ago, Scubby said:

We would have to have a lot of luck to have that backline out on the field. Fingers crossed the don't fall to injury again but still exactly how strong is it compared to other countries? 

We are only talking about 5 test caps for the other three-quarters there - yet they will be 30 (Makinson), 25 (King), 21 (Newman) and 26 (Johnstone) by the time the World Cup comes. None of them played in the last World Cup.

They are all in the squad and I believe that they are all quality players. 

Tomkins is playing well at full back and while not as fast as he was, he is still elusive and (importantly) he offers that valuable 3rd pivot threat that all the best teams have.

King is a late developer but I think he is a very good centre while Newman is as good as an outside back as we have produced in a long time.

Makinson and Johnstone are different players to McGilvary and Hall but if we want pace and finishing then these are our wings.

The last World Cup final we had.

1. Widdop

2. McGilvary 

3. Watkins

4. Bateman

5. Hall

I would argue the backline I have stated offers a more potent attacking threat. 

9 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Some good young players coming through from over here too…

Newman, Farnworth, Young, Welsby et al…

… just need to broaden that conveyor belt a bit more. 

I agree. And what all those have in common is that they are great athletes.  All tall, fast and strong.  I like the idea of getting them on the park together for England in the future.

28 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Tomkins played Half Back for England in the 2018 series win against New Zealand.

4 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Tomkins played Half Back for England in the 2018 series win against New Zealand.

Thanks for that, you are right. I should have clarified the last time he was last England's full back. 

I am usually so optimistic for England but for a variety of reasons (some beyond our control) we are so far off the pace. We are struggling to evolve after Tomkins, Burgess, O'Loughlin, Hall, Widdop, Hill, Graham, Whitehead, Roby, McGilvary, Hodgson et al either retired or pushed on well past 30. 

7 hours ago, Scubby said:

Perhaps he could call up young Young? Win win! 😉 

I believe that Dom has a brother who is not much older and so is also a good young talent.

But I think it is fair to say that the younger of the young Young's is the rising star.

8 hours ago, Scubby said:

I am usually so optimistic for England but for a variety of reasons (some beyond our control) we are so far off the pace. We are struggling to evolve after Tomkins, Burgess, O'Loughlin, Hall, Widdop, Hill, Graham, Whitehead, Roby, McGilvary, Hodgson et al either retired or pushed on well past 30. 

You do realise the tournament starts in about 5 months dont you? - not sure why age is a factor.

16 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Some good young players coming through from over here too…

Newman, Farnworth, Young, Welsby et al…

… just need to broaden that conveyor belt a bit more. 

You could also add Wardle, Walker, Broadbent and maybe even Hodgson who is reported to be playing well in Australia

17 hours ago, Dunbar said:

They are all in the squad and I believe that they are all quality players. 

Tomkins is playing well at full back and while not as fast as he was, he is still elusive and (importantly) he offers that valuable 3rd pivot threat that all the best teams have.

King is a late developer but I think he is a very good centre while Newman is as good as an outside back as we have produced in a long time.

Makinson and Johnstone are different players to McGilvary and Hall but if we want pace and finishing then these are our wings.

The last World Cup final we had.

1. Widdop

2. McGilvary 

3. Watkins

4. Bateman

5. Hall

I would argue the backline I have stated offers a more potent attacking threat. 

Late developer? 

3 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Late developer? 

A poor choice of words.

Let me rephrase to 'taken his game to another level.

Archived