England Team if you were picking it now

OMEGA

18 hours ago, Dunbar said:

They are all in the squad and I believe that they are all quality players. 

Tomkins is playing well at full back and while not as fast as he was, he is still elusive and (importantly) he offers that valuable 3rd pivot threat that all the best teams have.

King is a late developer but I think he is a very good centre while Newman is as good as an outside back as we have produced in a long time.

Makinson and Johnstone are different players to McGilvary and Hall but if we want pace and finishing then these are our wings.

The last World Cup final we had.

1. Widdop

2. McGilvary 

3. Watkins

4. Bateman

5. Hall

I would argue the backline I have stated offers a more potent attacking threat

You don't say, especially with the genius selection of Bateman at centre completely declared our left side attack redundant.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JM2010 said:

You could also add Wardle, Walker, Broadbent and maybe even Hodgson who is reported to be playing well in Australia

I’d forgotten about Jacob Wardle… he’d definitely be in the mix and I like the look of Broadbent too.

Less endeared with Walker and haven’t seen anything of Hodgson…

26 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

You don't say, especially with the genius selection of Bateman at centre completely declared our left side attack redundant.

We were lucky to get nil when you look at that 

9 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Or unlucky to lose the final by 6 points,depending on ones outlook on life.

Indeed . Or bit of both . I felt we concentrated on nullifying them with a conservative approach rather than going for them . At the end you’re thinking that was a great opportunity . Generally I’ve always been an expect the worst person then now n again I can be pleasantly surprised ... and if the worst happens then heh I expected it 

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

Indeed . Or bit of both . I felt we concentrated on nullifying them with a conservative approach rather than going for them . At the end you’re thinking that was a great opportunity . Generally I’ve always been an expect the worst person then now n again I can be pleasantly surprised ... and if the worst happens then heh I expected it 

I think if I were given the choice today of England entering the final quarter of the World Cup final on the 27th of November this year just 6 points behind, I would take it.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

15 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I think if I were given the choice today of England entering the final quarter of the World Cup final on the 27th of November this year just 6 points behind, I would take it.

Ha , yes fair point . Hopefully we’ve scored a few though and look like taking them late on 

On 12/06/2021 at 15:27, Scubby said:

He's no Reece Lynne

tedsco - turbo - latrell - etc must hardly be able to sleep at night with worry thinking  they may  be lining up against him later this year 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

16 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

tedsco - turbo - latrell - etc must hardly be able to sleep at night with worry thinking  they may  be lining up against him later this year 

Pains me to say it, but considering the talent that Aus have to pick from we are lightyears behind them, if we can somehow hold them in the forwards No's 1 - 7 are as good at this moment in time than any Aussie team from any era, my opinion of course.

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Pains me to say it, but considering the talent that Aus have to pick from we are lightyears behind them, if we can somehow hold them in the forwards No's 1 - 7 are as good at this moment in time than any Aussie team from any era, my opinion of course.

Nah,I’d take the 82 & 86 kangaroo backline over them any day.

3 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Nah,I’d take the 82 & 86 kangaroo backline over them any day.

Me too

A combination of Belcher, O’Connor, Miles, Meninga, Grothe, Lewis & Sterling with Kenny on the bench is far superior to anything that’s followed

I think we have to be careful to not go over the top with the current Aussie talent.  Not least because the NSW performance in game 1 has to be put into the context of Queensland being terrible.

I agree that the teams in the 80's had an abundance of talent but we don't need to go that far back to look at comparisons.

Let's say that the Aussie team are lined up as NSW (with perhaps Munster getting the nod at 6)

1. Tedesco

2. To'o

3. Mitchell

4. Trbojevic

5. Addo-Carr

6. Luai/Munster

7. Cleary

Do we really think that Tedesco, Luai/Munster and Cleary is better than Slater, Lockyer and Cronk that lined up in the 2010 Four Nations?

The wings in that tournament for Australia were Lote Tuqiri and Brett Morris who I would suggest stand up pretty well against To'o and Addo-Carr.

Perhaps only the centres from 2010 were behind this year as they were Willie Tonga and Brent Tate.  But it is worth remembering that Greg Inglis was in the squad for 2010 but didn't make the team (injury?) and I would call him probably the best centre I have seen this century.

I would take 1. Slater 2. Brett Morris 3. Inglis 4. Tonga 5. Tuqiri 6. Lockyer 7. Cronk over the possible 2021 back line any day of the week... I think we are guilty of putting these guys on too much of a pedestal.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

It’s very good , but I can barely remember an Aussie backline that wasn’t very good with all the talent they have . I’m still not changing my opinion on our chances on home soil in home conditions or there’s no point turning up 

2 hours ago, OMEGA said:

Me too

A combination of Belcher, O’Connor, Miles, Meninga, Grothe, Lewis & Sterling with Kenny on the bench is far superior to anything that’s followed

I’d never have Kenny on the bench and the likes of Rogers,Boustead,Jack & Shearer all played tests during those tours.

Archived