Mike Danson/Wigan

M j M

8 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

The £3 million will be for Athletic’s share of the stadium though won’t it, not the whole stadium? It won’t include the council’s share...........not sure what the split is

Council own 15%

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, JonM said:

I thought (Wiganers will know more I'm sure) that the council's share was only 15%. I believe they own the freehold to the land too.

If you look up I had already said that. 🙄

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, shrek said:

Its a 2.5 million salary cap in League 1 (I think) now, much more manageable than Championship level.

You can go above the 2.5 million with existing contracts when your relegated from the Championship, but there's not many stick with a team that drops down, pretty sure I read somewhere today that Wigan now meet the salary cap currently.

Well spotted. I know that site this is not for fooball ... ! ... but that salary cap is I now read brand new this season. 

A top up from the administrators who said they won't sell the club and stadium separately is that they may have to liquidate the club and sell of the assets individually.

I think this is a battle of nerves between Lenagan and ???  with the administrators.

Admins are claiming they have two American backed bids, I think that is bullshine.

Lenagan has a bid in for the stadium and Lenagan along with A.N. Other have a bid in for the club and the stadium is my guess. I can't see why any American 'consortium' would want to buy a basket case club with little chance of making any money even if they eventually got back into the PL. Buying Latics with a view with them being a PL club can only be a vanity project for someone who has a lot of money and broke a leg in a cup final.

1 hour ago, Padge said:

A top up from the administrators who said they won't sell the club and stadium separately is that they may have to liquidate the club and sell of the assets individually.

I think this is a battle of nerves between Lenagan and ???  with the administrators.

Admins are claiming they have two American backed bids, I think that is bullshine.

Lenagan has a bid in for the stadium and Lenagan along with A.N. Other have a bid in for the club and the stadium is my guess. I can't see why any American 'consortium' would want to buy a basket case club with little chance of making any money even if they eventually got back into the PL. Buying Latics with a view with them being a PL club can only be a vanity project for someone who has a lot of money and broke a leg in a cup final.

Again I agree Padge

But hell 3 million for   a  modern stadium with 25 k space ?

In  one of  the heartlands of our game

A chance surely not to be missed

1 hour ago, Padge said:

Not necessarily so.  Three million quid is chicken feed for a former PL and FA Cup winning side. There is no rationale for these decisions. See Sunderland and Blackburn for reference.

3 minutes ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

Not necessarily so.  Three million quid is chicken feed for a former PL and FA Cup winning side. There is no rationale for these decisions. See Sunderland and Blackburn for reference.

The winnings were made by someone willing to lose hundreds of millions of pounds to have a #### over his ambition, if you want to buy a potential PL club without it being a permanent drain on your resources there are far better options,  

On 27/08/2020 at 14:17, M j M said:

Pretty certain they would do if it was controlled by the RL club.

TBH I'm still puzzled by the finances of Wigan's stadium - does it just generate minimal non-gameday revenue like Saints/Leeds/Wire (for whom the stadium is an income-generator not a loss-maker, even without a significant second user) or is there something else that makes it difficult to make money out of it?

They definitely use it for other functions. Remember when the "away stand" was closed because there was a wedding on!

59 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

They definitely use it for other functions. Remember when the "away stand" was closed because there was a wedding on!

That was one of several low points, if my memory is correct they checked with the wedding party that it was ok to put a rugby match on.

6 hours ago, Padge said:

"someone who has a lot of money and broke a leg in a cup final."

Hmmm..Let's think....😀😀😀😀

It reported (by Daily Mail) that the owner of Tampa Bay Buccaneers had an offer for 4 million.  So this might keep the stadium out of the hands of Wigan/RFL.  On the other hand he might also take a share of the Warrriors as well.

14 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

It reported (by Daily Mail) that the owner of Tampa Bay Buccaneers had an offer for 4 million.  So this might keep the stadium out of the hands of Wigan/RFL.  On the other hand he might also take a share of the Warrriors as well.

Don’t the Glazers own Tampa Bay Buccaneers,I’d have thought FA rules prohibit people owning 2 football clubs.

50 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Don’t the Glazers own Tampa Bay Buccaneers,I’d have thought FA rules prohibit people owning 2 football clubs.

Mail names some other bloke.  Mentioned some link with Barnsley, but without looking again cannot be specific.

Archived