What should be in a Full English Breakfast?

10 hours ago, Futtocks said:

One upgrade worth considering; many shops sell jars/tins of baked giant/gigantesbutter beans, which have a much better texture and taste than the sugary blandness of regular baked (haricot) beans like Heinz. The Co-op's brand is Cypressa, which I usually get, but other supermarkets' versions are pretty similar.

802753.png

Be off with you, we’ll have no middle class poncery where fry ups are concerned.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today ( and most days) Fresh fruit salad.Strawberries, oranges, apples, pineapple, peaches and pears. All smothered in Greek yoghurt.

One of the strengths of British cuisine is the regional variations. Staffordshire oat cakes and laverbread with bacon. Regional sausage such as Lincolnshire, Cumberland and Westmoreland.

Any other local items?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

23 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Today ( and most days) Fresh fruit salad.Strawberries, oranges, apples, pineapple, peaches and pears. All smothered in Greek yoghurt.

One of the strengths of British cuisine is the regional variations. Staffordshire oat cakes and laverbread with bacon. Regional sausage such as Lincolnshire, Cumberland and Westmoreland.

Any other local items?

Much innuendo on Test Match Special about the Dorset Knob, yesterday.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

35 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Any other local items?

I really miss those fresh oat cakes (Staffordshire)... especially with a breakfast inside or cheese /tomato/pic for a lunch.

Do we still have the houses with their little garages done out to make and sell them... I think Fridays was when we went for our week supply.

On 22/08/2020 at 18:42, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Small brekkie for me this morning....

999_breakfast_challenge-376400.jpg

No black pudding, toast instead of fried bread ... and hash browns !!! what are you, a southerner or something?

On 23/08/2020 at 20:54, Derwent said:

Be off with you, we’ll have no middle class poncery where fry ups are concerned.

Another glass of Chateau le Chasselet, Obadiah?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 23/08/2020 at 20:54, Derwent said:

I think there are limits though.

Got to have good bacon. I get mine from Angus in donny.... Good streaky... that crisps up and doesn't pizz out that white stuff when you fry it.

I'm funny wi sausage.... they've got to be premium .... again... "the donny" from Wilkinson's my fav.

Eggs from t'farm and i do like fresh picked mushrooms when they're in season. Im fortunate in November I tend to get a few blue stalks..... they are gorgeous...

BUT.... sheeite white is the only bread to fry....

If we have a coal fire lit, I do like a doorstep of a slice of good bread smothered in best butter from the tub.

And of course, a wild haggis if you can get one 😊

Aye.... i can even poncify a fry up!!

Streaky bacon is always too thin. The trick to grilling it is to have two pieces stuck together at first, turn the pair over when one side is done. When the other side is done, split them for one minute before removing from the grill.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

22 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Streaky bacon is always too thin.

Not if you go to Martin at Angus butchers in donny. He cures his own and cuts it at just the right thickness with a nice bit of fat in. His back bacon is good too .... ideal for a sarny but the streaky is perfect for a full monty

On 24/08/2020 at 12:54, Bearman said:

Any other local items?

To recap on what I said above, anywhere in Scotland, Lorne sausage and specifically in Aberdeen and its hinterland, rowies, also known as butteries.  For the uninitiated, these links may help:

https://www.rowies.scot/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorne_sausage

The butteries link I include as it briefly explains the history, but I have never bought from this source so have no idea how good or not they are.

• 2 weeks later...

Fried bread, rasher of streaky, sausage, black pudding, beans, fried tinned tomatoes, a few pre cooked potatoes fried.    In Ireland substitute white pudding for sausage add wheaten bread.  

Years ago a colleague was visiting. He was from Surrey.  We put him up in a hotel in Wakefield.  When he came down to breakfast he was invited to the usual bacon, egg etc. and "the local delicacy" which of course was black pudding.  He turned it down needless to say.

Isn't it in the Calder Valley where they have dock pudding fried in bacon fat?

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

48 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Fried bread, rasher of streaky, sausage, black pudding, beans, fried tinned tomatoes, a few pre cooked potatoes fried.    In Ireland substitute white pudding for sausage add wheaten bread.  

Years ago a colleague was visiting. He was from Surrey.  We put him up in a hotel in Wakefield.  When he came down to breakfast he was invited to the usual bacon, egg etc. and "the local delicacy" which of course was black pudding.  He turned it down needless to say.

Rasher??? Singular?? One of????

If its streaky at least four!!!😆😆

3 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Rasher??? Singular?? One of????

If its streaky at least four!!!😆😆

I have to watch my weight, there's quite a lot of it to watch unfortunately!

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

5 hours ago, Trojan said:

Yes, in Mytholmroyd to be precise (Championship wise, at least). 

https://www.visitcalderdale.com/dock-pudding

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

That appears suitably revolting!!😄

Can't say I've ever tried if tbh, but I actually reckon it would be OK. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

15 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

Can't say I've ever tried if tbh, but I actually reckon it would be OK. 

Bacon fat aside, I'm surprised the health nuts haven't jumped on the dock pudding bandwagon as an indigenous green mush-type food.

Maybe it tastes really good, which would probably scare them off. You know where you are with kale - miserable.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived