What should be in a Full English Breakfast?

9 minutes ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

To tease this one out; what is your choice of egg?  I am partial to a poached egg, the only issue with this, is I can't cook one to save my life. 

I think its fried on a fully monty.

I do like a smoked salmon omelette but only ever have poached or scrambled on toast and only for breakfast 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 rashers of bacon

3 pork sausages

2 fried eggs, over easy

3 potato based items e.g. hash brown, waffle or scone

1 black pudding round

1 portion of good quality chopped tinned tomatoes

1 portion of Heinz baked beans

3 slices of doorstop toast generously buttered

The toast should not be eaten as part of the meal, it should be used to mop up the plate afterwards.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

One upgrade worth considering; many shops sell jars/tins of baked giant/gigantesbutter beans, which have a much better texture and taste than the sugary blandness of regular baked (haricot) beans like Heinz. The Co-op's brand is Cypressa, which I usually get, but other supermarkets' versions are pretty similar.

802753.png

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

One upgrade worth considering; many shops sell jars/tins of baked giant/gigantesbutter beans, which have a much better texture and taste than the sugary blandness of regular baked (haricot) beans like Heinz. The Co-op's brand is Cypressa, which I usually get, but other supermarkets' versions are pretty similar.

802753.png

Alternative full english breakfast suggestions welcome. What about vegans and vegetarians? 😬😬

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

34 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

802753.png

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

802753.png

I'm growing some of those this year, along with haricot and other beans for use over the winter. Home made 'baked' beans are on a completely different level to the tinned things. 

56 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

So, back to OP

No beans

No toast

No chopped tomatoes

EVERYTHING MUST BE FRIED !!!

Bacon

Sausage

Egg

Tomatoes 

Mushrooms

Fried Bread

Black Pudding

plus optional extras

Brown Sauce 

Black pepper

Mug of strong Sweet tea

Transport cafe esque. Like it

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

23 hours ago, Dave T said:

It's why the full breakfast is a thing of beauty, it can be adapted and ingredients rotated to keep it fresh. 

But they all must have Toast, beans, egg, sausage and bacon. 

You can then opt in and out of all the other bits. 

If I had to narrow it down I'd add Haggis, tatty Scone and mushrooms to make it healthy. I think this would be a Scottish rather than English, but all good. 

I would have thought a full Scottish, if there is such a thing, would have had Lorne sausage in it.

Mind you, the closer I get to Aberdeen, my native city, the more I hanker for butteries (also known as rowies), the city's great contribution to breakfast cuisine, though my uncle sometimes had one with his soup at lunchtime.

Occasionally, I order some online!

1 hour ago, Wholly Trinity said:

So, back to OP

No beans

No toast

No chopped tomatoes

EVERYTHING MUST BE FRIED !!!

Bacon

Sausage

Egg

Tomatoes 

Mushrooms

Fried Bread

Black Pudding

plus optional extras

Brown Sauce 

Black pepper

Mug of strong Sweet tea

How do you fry a mug of tea, WT?

41 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

How do you fry a mug of tea, WT?

Very carefully.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I remember a holiday on the Northumberland coast, near Craster. The farmhouse we were staying at raised their own rare-breed pigs for bacon and sausage, as well as having other livestock including ducks. Plus, puffball mushrooms grew in the nearby fields.

Let's just say that their fried breakfast was something magnificent. And that's before considering the kippers which, being from the Craster smokehouses, were the best of the best.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

I remember a holiday on the Northumberland coast, near Craster. The farmhouse we were staying at raised their own rare-breed pigs for bacon and sausage, as well as having other livestock including ducks. Plus, puffball mushrooms grew in the nearby fields.

Let's just say that their fried breakfast was something magnificent. And that's before considering the kippers which, being from the Craster smokehouses, were the best of the best.

Kipper n eggs..... love that now n again

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

Kipper n eggs..... love that now n again

Or even the two in a proper kedgeree, made with the best ingredients and skill - the pub near where my mum lives used to do that for Boxing Day brunch. A good way to recover from the previous day's excesses.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived