Player Draft and Regional Academies

Moove

This is what Salford's Ian Blease is proposing for SL...

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12196/12051902/salford-red-devils-ian-blease-on-why-a-player-draft-could-be-the-future-for-super-league

Can't say I'm a fan. Seems more a case of 'we can't/won't invest in developing players ourselves so we want to be given some from Wigan and Saints'. As per the article he doesn't want lads from Hull, that's too far and they should keep their own. I also don't see how it improves standards overall either, surely it would just lower the standard of the top teams as it's not increasing the player pool among already established clubs/areas? Personally I'd prefer teams to be working to invest upwards. You see the likes of Huddersfield benefiting from that at the moment as well.

The only way I can really see there being value in this is if SL collectively invested in regional academies in strategic growth areas. Say for example, if TV money was split 13 ways with the extra slice being used to work with the likes of Newcastle in the North East to help expand their reach and development pathways. There have been cases were we've had individual tie-ins between single clubs (Wigan in Wales for example) but with the money/risk spread across the whole league focused on two or three specific regions maybe we'd have more sustained success with expanding the player pool. Still not sure a draft would be the right way to 'distribute' the developed players, but you could perhaps give Newcastle, London or whoever was the focal team in the region first dibs on offering a contract.

What about the lower leagues? Huddersfield get mentioned but how many players do they have from the Halifax catchment area? We really do not stand a chance although it were quite ironic to hear Bradford moaning a while back about not having a chance at the young lads especially when they used to be number 1 choice of any Halifax lads that Leeds or Wigan don't want.

Rant over but I like the idea if it were extended to the lower leagues, obviously the bigger teams will not go for anything like that when they can go to rugby league hot beds like Halifax and just take all the players they want. Obviously young lads are going to pick pro over semi pro but there could be some arrangement in place for them to play for their local teams. In theory its a good idea that would raise the overall standard of the game in my opinion but that would not be good for about 4 or 5 teams.

12 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

What about the lower leagues? Huddersfield get mentioned but how many players do they have from the Halifax catchment area? We really do not stand a chance although it were quite ironic to hear Bradford moaning a while back about not having a chance at the young lads especially when they used to be number 1 choice of any Halifax lads that Leeds or Wigan don't want.

Rant over but I like the idea if it were extended to the lower leagues, obviously the bigger teams will not go for anything like that when they can go to rugby league hot beds like Halifax and just take all the players they want. Obviously young lads are going to pick pro over semi pro but there could be some arrangement in place for them to play for their local teams. In theory its a good idea that would raise the overall standard of the game in my opinion but that would not be good for about 4 or 5 teams.

Well thats because there are teams stepping on each others toes and was why mergers were suggested.

To be fair to huddersfield at the dawn of SL it was the other way around and Halifax blew their chance!

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I do think we need to make more of an effort to spread the best players out amongst more clubs, and attract more superstar players to super league.

To do this we should exempt the top 3 earners at every club from the salary cap. 

I disagree,

Its like saying give me half your wages as i cant be arsed working!

Its different in america as all the players are developed independantly through colleges.

Basically it should be mandatory for SL clubs to run an academy

I don't disagree with regional academies as a principle, but really this is about 25 years too late. 

Now you'd have to come up with a really good (probably financial) incentive to get Leeds, Wigan, Saints etc to give up the competitive advantage of their academies. I doubt the game has that sort of incentive to give. It's unsurprising that Salford have put forward this as a suggestion either.

That said, a form of draft and centralised academies could go a long way to breaking the positive and negative feedback loops we've had in RL for quite some time now. It would also help new teams.

2 hours ago, yipyee said:

Well thats because there are teams stepping on each others toes and was why mergers were suggested.

To be fair to huddersfield at the dawn of SL it was the other way around and Halifax blew their chance!

Indeed , they should have found a multi millionaire , but couldn't 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Why not ?

In a slightly different way to your club, they have the SL status but don't have the money. 

Salford had a good record of junior development ironically, because they generally couldn't afford top talent and were forced to think creatively. The likes of Myler, Fages and Ratchford come to mind. That they don't have an academy now shows just how little money they actually have to operate on.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

In a slightly different way to your club, they have the SL status but don't have the money. 

Salford had a good record of junior development ironically, because they generally couldn't afford top talent and were forced to think creatively. The likes of Myler, Fages and Ratchford come to mind. That they don't have an academy now shows just how little money they actually have to operate on.

That's not what I meant , I was asking why not having an academy doesn't give them the right to suggest a different system 

6 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

For many years Salford didn’t even run an Academy, they are not the club to set out the blueprints. 

It is not Salford who are suggesting it.

The suggestion has been made by Ian Blease,the current CEO,who happens to be a former player,and perhaps more intriguingly,a former player agent.

It is good that someone should hold a viewpoint outside of his own club interest and give a whole game/Super League game,opinion.

Bearing in mind the financial cost to the sport of Covid19,where it was suggested that some clubs were looking to lower the salary cap,the ending of the beginning,of the return of a reserve league,the young players leaving the sport altogether,or turning to the NRL,or the other code,it does throw up some conundrums to make it a more fair competition.

I don't think the sport,either in the governing bodies,or club owners,are mature enough to consider beyond 'just getting by',but admirable that the CEO has put his head above the parapet and looked outside of the box.

Agents may also be against the idea.

In the cash rich sport of soccer,where academies and reserve players are commonplace,the 'elite' still hoover up the promising youngsters by throwing cash around.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I think there is place for the current youth system and a draft for players who have either not been picked up or who are from areas that aren’t covered by a Super League team like South Wales, for example. 

I agree but money needs to be invested into setting up more junior clubs and getting into schools in any development areas to run alongside a regional academy

Another way could be for each SL team to set up partnership with a development area and maybe run a regional academy in that area. They should then be allowed first pick of any players developed before other clubs can sign any. Any players that don't make it to SL could then be signed by the local league 1 or Championship club. The SL clubs could even dual reg any players back to them until they are ready to step up to the first team

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I think there is place for the current youth system and a draft for players who have either not been picked up or who are from areas that aren’t covered by a Super League team like South Wales, for example. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Don't Wigan have a South Wales partnership?

1 hour ago, JM2010 said:

I agree but money needs to be invested into setting up more junior clubs and getting into schools in any development areas to run alongside a regional academy

THIS is the most important thing 

39 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Don't Wigan have a South Wales partnership?

One was spoken about a few years ago (in about year 2/3 of South Wales Scorpions tenure in League 1). Our academy lads played them in a friendly and a few young players went to play for them briefly IIRC. It petered out and since then we have used DR arrangements with Workington and Swinton in turn but nothing seems to have happened or been mentioned concerning activity in Wales connected with Wigan. I think that for whatever reason it was stopped given the apparent lack of activity.

I think it may have been part of a wider scheme to link the outpost clubs in League 1 with the bigger SL clubs, in an attempt to aid their development that like a lot of things concerning the expanding of League 1 was quietly shelved.

3 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Think this is what Craig Harrison is trying to set up, an independent Scholorship/Academy that will play against the clubs but not linked to any club, he would then have a selection process for clubs to draft players from his Academy. Seems a pretty good idea on the surface.

2 hours ago, rhinos78 said:

Think this is what Craig Harrison is trying to set up, an independent Scholorship/Academy that will play against the clubs but not linked to any club, he would then have a selection process for clubs to draft players from his Academy. Seems a pretty good idea on the surface.

That just seems like a mechanism for a players agent to sweep the best talent and make more money for himself 

Archived