Where do we strengthen for 2021

town2018

To be honest given the fact that finances are likely to be very tight, I’d wait and see who out of this years squad remains and then look to replace any leavers with any good local amateurs that want to make the step up. As was said on a previous thread it’s maybe a time to rein in any expectations and exploit the obvious skill set Chris has in nurturing young players. I’d rather have a team to watch with good local lads giving 100% than go for the boom or bust approach. I’d also love to see time and resources put into Chris’s  idea of an academy, that is undoubtedly the way to move forward. 
I think we had a squad this year that would have been there or thereabouts at the business end of the season, hopefully we can have a competitive team next year, but in my view, not at the expense of putting the club in jeopardy. There is still along way to go until next season and with furlough being phased out there will be many challenges for the club to face, not least in trying to retain and attract sponsors without whom we would be in real trouble. In these unprecedented times I think our role as supporters is to back the club in whatever they decide, support the excellent fundraising initiatives if you can and not to turn away should we lose a few players. One thing this year has taught me is that I’d rather have been going down to Derwent park win, lose or draw than not being able to go back down. 
So in answer to your question, if finances allow, then by all means look to strengthen  but if finances dictate we have to take a step back to preserve the club then so be it. I’ll still be there supporting the club whatever. UTT

56 minutes ago, Carlisle1921 said:

Unfortunately it looks like ottawa will walk the league in 2021 and guessing if New York get off the ground they will walk it in 2022. Could be 2023 before we have a realistic chance of promotion, if there even is a league 1 by then

That’s the one thing that is frustrating for us in this league . Expansion good ( if it’s sustainable ) but we are just the medium by which they get in and it becomes instantly a totally unlevel playing field and a distortion of the competition . You can be fighting away for one place in basically a separate comp . Really League 1 as of now and the players/ teams  in it isn’t set up to take on teams from all over the  world and all that entails 

49 minutes ago, DavidM said:

That’s the one thing that is frustrating for us in this league . Expansion good ( if it’s sustainable ) but we are just the medium by which they get in and it becomes instantly a totally unlevel playing field and a distortion of the competition . You can be fighting away for one place in basically a separate comp . Really League 1 as of now and the players/ teams  in it isn’t set up to take on teams from all over the  world and all that entails 

In my opinion if they allow expansion teams in who are cashed up, they should then offer an extra promotion place for each team, putting teams with super League budgets in league 1 benefits no-one.

Having said that the quality of players Ottawa are signing are far inferior to Toronto, nothing I've seen so far should worry us.

On 23/08/2020 at 11:50, Carlisle1921 said:

Unfortunately it looks like ottawa will walk the league in 2021 and guessing if New York get off the ground they will walk it in 2022. Could be 2023 before we have a realistic chance of promotion, if there even is a league 1 by then

They will be favourites but they are signing Champ and Lg1 players so I dont think they will walk it - not as if they have 8 or 9 ex  SL players like TWP did in Lg1.

With Chris confirming as well as Dec leaving, Calvin, Elliot Hall and Russ Bolton are going we’ll no doubt need some three quarters. What a great webcast it was with the positivity of Chris shining through. I’ve said it before but I think as a club we are extremely lucky to have him, a modern thinking young coach who clearly has the best interests of the club at heart, and someone who is held in high regard within the sport. It certainly seems from his comments he won’t have a shortage of players who want to sign for the club. The only down side is that after getting that ‘fix’ of rugby crack it’s going to be a long 6 months until we can get back to watching at Derwent Park. Let’s hope there’s plenty positives to talk about over that period of time. UTT

Sorry to see these 4 players leaving, but for the right reasons and not a bad word said about the club, this now means there are opportunities for 4 others at our club and after watching the podcast last night I have confidence in Chris and the BOD to make suitable replacements.

How impressive is Chris ? We’re very lucky to have him as coach . Must say I’m especially gutted about Eliot leaving , I think he was gonna develop into something a bit special . Shame that but there you go , Chris speaking excellently about improving in 2021

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

How impressive is Chris ? We’re very lucky to have him as coach . Must say I’m especially gutted about Eliot leaving , I think he was gonna develop into something a bit special . Shame that but there you go , Chris speaking excellently about improving in 2021

Very impressive David. I’ve seen lots of coaches come and go over 50 odd years of supporting but there is something really special about him. He will certainly finish up somewhere at the top of the game but I hope in the near future he can do something special with our club. 
Really gutting about Elliot but just listened to an interview on Facebook Gary did with him and he’s equally gutted I think. Mentioned that if he could have got employment he could have seen himself being part of the club for years. Our loss is certainly going to be someone’s massive gain. 

16 hours ago, donald said:

Karl Dixon.  Town want 5k plus dixon to let us have Doran 

Didnt hear about the 5k but can't see it being right seen as Dixon only signed a 1 year deal? Crack I heard was Dixon didnt know what he wanted to do so he's exploring his options.

Archived