Players breaching C-19 protocols (Merged Threads)

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The game here simply can't afford to test, travel and bubble how they need to. It just doesn't have the cash in the game. This means they have to do what they can and cross their fingers. It may or may not be enough but this is August, the end of the season is such a long way down the road. That's not even mentioning what might happen with France etc.

Yep, that's what I mean about whether the asks would be too much for the game here. But we probably need to tighten things up and make further improvements. 

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, MZH said:

When the 21 man squad was announced last week they did say Swift wasn't included following the recent birth of his child. Which did strike me as odd because why wouldn't you play a week after your child is born? I wonder if he was already isolating at that point but it was too late and he had already passed it on. Everyone passed their tests on Friday, but it was maybe just too early for anything to show up on a test.

Is it normal for people to release the information around the source? I must admit, if I was Swift, I wouldn't be happy with my baby being named like this.

6 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The game here simply can't afford to test, travel and bubble how they need to. It just doesn't have the cash in the game. This means they have to do what they can and cross their fingers. 

They can isolate themselves away from others (bar families) when not in training. Stay at home etc rather than going to pubs. It would reduce the risk of infection (not completely of course). I don’t think allowing players/staff their full freedoms whilst only being tested once is a sensible course of action. 

I wish those Hull staff and their families all the best.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Is it normal for people to release the information around the source? I must admit, if I was Swift, I wouldn't be happy with my baby being named like this.

How do babies normally get named? Let's hope they avoid Taylor or the baby's sake.

Hoping all it well health wise with the family (joking aside)!

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

No, and I believe the RFL/SL updates on testing specifically omit any details that could identify an individual who tests positive. Pearson could find himself in trouble for breaking confidentiality rules

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I'm not going to suggest you did mean it as any kind of racial slur, Harry - I don't think you did. I do however think you've done a good old fashioned 2+2= 5. 

It's true to say the BAME communities are seemingly more at risk (for a variety of reasons) of contracting COVID but based on what i've seen and read, despite Wigan not having the same demographics as the other areas you've mentioned, it's pretty much in-line with them overall (not just this latest spike) in terms of total cases and deaths. So in that sense you could argue it's actually doing worse? 

For anybody who wants to do some depressing comparisons https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274 

The recent spikes can be linked to areas of large Pakistani Muslim communities where housing is often multi generational, is it educational, cultural or religious gatherings? What we miss out is that even those spikes are not driving equivalent loss of life and are nothing like they were. Total Uk deaths are currently way below averages, which asks the question do we need to get back to normal for healthy 1-65 year olds and isolate the rest until the vaccine is available ? For most healthy folk this is at worst flu, but you will damned if you do and damned if you don’t- wouldn’t be PM for a gold pig at present.

I thought it was the trip to the hospital rather than the baby that was the source.

Preston had a mixed community but the spike in cases is also linked to the age demographic in equal numbers to generational households.The fault could be the lack of thought from the younger members of the family transmitting to older people.

Back to the rugby, Hull will have to investigate their protocols that allowed transmission from player to Physio to other players.

Where does this leave the fixtures as both Salford and Hull could miss 2 weeks of games especially if no training for 14 days

4 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

I thought it was the trip to the hospital rather than the baby that was the source.

Preston had a mixed community but the spike in cases is also linked to the age demographic in equal numbers to generational households.The fault could be the lack of thought from the younger members of the family transmitting to older people.

Back to the rugby, Hull will have to investigate their protocols that allowed transmission from player to Physio to other players.

Where does this leave the fixtures as both Salford and Hull could miss 2 weeks of games especially if no training for 14 days

Yes, just seen the article now. So Pearson has named Swift as the source.

33 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

No, and I believe the RFL/SL updates on testing specifically omit any details that could identify an individual who tests positive. Pearson could find himself in trouble for breaking confidentiality rules

Not like Pearson to put his foot in it 🤔

Just to be clear btw, I dont think he has named Swift directly here. But it was definitely in the press release last week that Swift wasnt selection following the birth of his child. So its unlikely that another player has also just had a child, not hard to join the dots.

3 minutes ago, MZH said:

Not like Pearson to put his foot in it 🤔

Just to be clear btw, I dont think he has named Swift directly here. But it was definitely in the press release last week that Swift wasnt selection following the birth of his child. So its unlikely that another player has also just had a child, not hard to join the dots.

No he's not named him directly but has given information (details) that could easily identify him.

From the RFL statement re testing of 7th Aug

For the purpose of medical privacy, no details of specific Clubs or individuals will be provided as part of this update.

Salford v Catalan this weekend is off (sorry if already posted) and Salford squad are isolating though all the squad tested negative.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/53753673

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I think it shows what a precarious situation the opening up of the competition is, club's saying they can't afford extra testing is not a  good position to be starting from. If it is due to a hospital visit with a young baby you can't mitigate for something like that. The only way to ensure no spread is to put all of the group in a isolated bubble with all it's costs and implications so that won't be happening.  It's interesting that only 11 Salford player's have been asked to isolate after close contact with HullFC player's on review. Did the other 6 make no tackles?

It's not a suprise that something like this has happened because as we have seen in other sport's young player's just believe that rules don't apply to them, not saying that in this instance that's what's happened, but fully expected there would be some issues along the line, and the entire project is another half-baked, under financed RL/SL effort that should never have been attempted, so clubs squeal they can't do without the sky money, get used to it and cut your cloth accordingly like the rest of the population is having to do.

6 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

I think it shows what a precarious situation the opening up of the competition is, club's saying they can't afford extra testing is not a  good position to be starting from. If it is due to a hospital visit with a young baby you can't mitigate for something like that. The only way to ensure no spread is to put all of the group in a isolated bubble with all it's costs and implications so that won't be happening.  It's interesting that only 11 Salford player's have been asked to isolate after close contact with HullFC player's on review. Did the other 6 make no tackles?

It's not a suprise that something like this has happened because as we have seen in other sport's young player's just believe that rules don't apply to them, not saying that in this instance that's what's happened, but fully expected there would be some issues along the line, and the entire project is another half-baked, under financed RL/SL effort that should never have been attempted, so clubs squeal they can't do without the sky money, get used to it and cut your cloth accordingly like the rest of the population is having to do.

Or mix with the other Salford players in the dressing room at HT and FT?

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Various Scottish footballers were named.   Not least loudly named by Sturgeon.  So I don't see Pearson worrying.

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

The recent spikes can be linked to areas of large Pakistani Muslim communities where housing is often multi generational, is it educational, cultural or religious gatherings? What we miss out is that even those spikes are not driving equivalent loss of life and are nothing like they were. Total Uk deaths are currently way below averages, which asks the question do we need to get back to normal for healthy 1-65 year olds and isolate the rest until the vaccine is available ? For most healthy folk this is at worst flu, but you will damned if you do and damned if you don’t- wouldn’t be PM for a gold pig at present.

If it's only flu, why is the State of Victoria in lock down.  Why did 6 AFL clubs move to Queensland?

And it's not only over 65s.  Pearson points out he is diabetic.

The spikes we are having are in part because young people are thick and are selfish and care less.

14 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

If it's only flu, why is the State of Victoria in lock down.  Why did 6 AFL clubs move to Queensland?

And it's not only over 65s.  Pearson points out he is diabetic.

The spikes we are having are in part because young people are thick and are selfish and care less.

Just the young?

For me, the message I take out of this is just how fragile everything we take for granted is at the moment. Despite what some say, this is no flu, and threatens the very existence of our game at all levels. 

Hope all of the players and their families are safe and make a full recovery.

as for players staying away from pubs so they bloody should, they have done enough bleating about having wages cut if they want to carry on being paid they should make some sacrifices.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

1 hour ago, Clogiron said:

It's interesting that only 11 Salford player's have been asked to isolate after close contact with HullFC player's on review. Did the other 6 make no tackles?

There were certainly more than 6 Hull players who made no tackles 

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

This is why they should have gone for a UK only 9 round mini season , they could have potentially ridden over something like this 

Don't see the point of the lower tier comp even being attempted 

You've lost me there. How would a UK club only competition have avoided the current situation?

10 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

This is why they should have gone for a UK only 9 round mini season , they could have potentially ridden over something like this 

Don't see the point of the lower tier comp even being attempted 

Last time I checked Hull was still in the UK?

Adam Pearson is saying that the player caught the virus whilst in hospital visiting his baby not that he caught it from the baby.

Given that Hull FC knew the player had been in a hospital environment they should have had him stay away for a week. In that respect they are at fault.

Easy with hindsight but it's a learning point. I also feel that we probably need twice weekly testing.

45 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

You've lost me there. How would a UK club only competition have avoided the current situation?

Let's say they have to quarantine both sides for 2 weeks because of this , they just won't be able to fit it all in , with a tighter comp they could have isolated squads better 

Archived