Covid-19 Knowledge Updates

Not something I was hoping (but not surprised) to hear (from BBC Live) :

Hong Kong University scientists have reported the case of an apparently young, healthy patient being re-infected with Covid-19, four-and-a-half months after the first infection.

Using genome sequencing, they discovered that the second bout or virus was “clearly different” from the first infection rather than just a continuation or re-emergence of the original one.

Still some information to come out surrounding exact details and potentially significant consequences going forward. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The genome thing is interesting because I think it's Cambridge University over here has been involved in Covid genome research and tracking and based on a report they released a few weeks back there are a number of different strains doing the rounds.  Has the patient been ill with the apparent second infection?  I read that the WHO are advising not to jump to conclusions based on just one incidence but it is a bit dispiriting to think that a first strain may not provoke the immune system into recognising/fighting future strains.

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Have we over reacted?

Twice as many deaths in the 1968 Asian Flu.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31201-0/fulltext

Any response to this will be political.

But the short answer is: no, of course we haven't overreacted.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Any response to this will be political.

But the short answer is: no, of course we haven't overreacted.

You may be right, but it isn't at all clear.

The damage to the economy and to the cost of lost NHS treatments to the nations health may not manifest itself for some years.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

9 minutes ago, Bearman said:

You may be right, but it isn't at all clear.

The damage to the economy and to the cost of lost NHS treatments to the nations health may not manifest itself for some years.

That’s a political calculation 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, Bearman said:

Have we over reacted?

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31201-0/fulltext

I think for us to have overreacted would be doing something wildly out of proportion to what the vast majority of the rest of the world is doing. As far as I can see we aren't and our response is broadly similar.

4 hours ago, Bearman said:

Have we over reacted?

Death is only one part of this. There's a far higher number of people who are suffering long term significant complications and a number of those who'll never recover. It's not correct to compare things like influenza pandemics.

Also, (pick your number of choice from your favoured source) deaths from it is not exactly what I'd call overreacting.

p.s. there's a general purpose thread on the politics sub-forum for anyone who wants to attribute blame, argue statistics or otherwise grumble about this. This thread is purely for knowledge things that people want/need, political stuff will just be deleted.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

9 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Stop Horse Racing, stop experimental 5k attendance if you are banning 6+ parties. Dont be so contradictory

Y'see, now that's political. Feel free to repost it on the politics thread.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On 24/08/2020 at 20:16, Saintslass said:

The genome thing is interesting because I think it's Cambridge University over here has been involved in Covid genome research and tracking and based on a report they released a few weeks back there are a number of different strains doing the rounds.  Has the patient been ill with the apparent second infection?  I read that the WHO are advising not to jump to conclusions based on just one incidence but it is a bit dispiriting to think that a first strain may not provoke the immune system into recognising/fighting future strains.

All RNA viruses will have different variants very quickly, as RNA is not very stable. Strains can be a bit misleading, as it brings to mind flu virus, and the different strains of that; but that is rare. Generally, the interest in variants is one of genology rather than pathology.

Everything in biology is vague. Immunity is not a 100% thing. We see that most healthy forty years olds are effectively immune to the flu (the "youth" of this messageboard are in their forties and I suspect have not generally had the flu for many years), the elderly have been no less exposed but are vulnerable again.

Equally, a re-infection will occur sometimes with an identical flu strain and reinfection with Covid-19 is likely to be with an effectively identical Covid-19 pathogen. The immune system is horribly complex and has a complex task, it will make mistakes (such as tragically killing someone who eats a peanut of giving them MS).

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

This is the best summary I've seen on what the current understanding is and how thinking has evolved of transmission and prevention - and yes evolved is the right word because that's how science works, an accumulation of knowledge which gets more precise over time.

https://elemental.medium.com/the-most-likely-way-youll-get-infected-with-covid-19-30430384e5a5

21 minutes ago, M j M said:

This is the best summary I've seen on what the current understanding is and how thinking has evolved of transmission and prevention - and yes evolved is the right word because that's how science works, an accumulation of knowledge which gets more precise over time.

https://elemental.medium.com/the-most-likely-way-youll-get-infected-with-covid-19-30430384e5a5

I read that last night. Very interesting 👍🏼

2 hours ago, M j M said:

Thanks for that!

It is all best guess, the virus is simple but human beings are very complex. We are learning a lot about how it is transmitted, but how people actually get infected seriously is still unclear (as it is for flu).

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

The new COVID app will be officially released in England tomorrow. Please download it when it’s released.

I personally have some reservations about it but I have it installed because the societal benefit grossly outweighs my whining. Put it this way, you have to be a bit of a sociopath to think you’re more important. (If you live in Scotland, of course you’ll have downloaded your version already)

It’s remarkably simple to use, is absolutely private and is not a snooping app.

Pretty please just do it.

95BB8568-0331-41E1-A041-409A191C0E97.jpeg

A gene cluster inherited from Neanderthals could make some people more vulnerable to Covid-19, a study says.

The research, carried out by Germany's Max Planck Institute and published in the journal Nature, linked this gene to a higher risk of hospitalisation and respiratory failure in people who catch the virus.

"The probability that humans who inherited this gene variation have to be put on a ventilator when they contract the novel coronavrius Sars-CoV-2 is three times higher," Hugo Zeberg, from the institute, said in a statement.

The gene, it adds, was inherited by modern humans from when they mixed with Neanderthals 60,000 years ago. It is now carried by about 50% of people in South Asia and about 16% of people in Europe, but is nearly non-existent in Africa and East Asia.

Research partner Svante Paabo adds: "It is alarming that a genetic heritage from the Neanderthals can have such tragic consequences in the current pandemic."

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2818-3

• 2 weeks later...

Trials beginning on the use of BCG, an old TB vaccine. Although it's one that many of us will have had in our childhood another dose would probably be needed. While likely not fully effective it could help to buy time till a CV specific vaccine is available. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54465733

Archived