Covid-19 Knowledge Updates

From BBC: Two new studies, published in the journal Blood Advances, say they have evidence that this is the case.

One paper looked at nearly half a million people in Denmark who had tested positive for Covid-19, and found that people with blood type O were less likely to be infected with coronavirus than people with other blood types.

A second study looking at hospital patients in Canada found that people with blood groups A or AB were more likely to have severe symptoms than people with groups O and B.

This isn’t the first time that blood groups have been linked to coronavirus.

Some genetic studies published over the summer found that the ABO gene, which is linked to your blood group, may play a role in coronavirus outcomes.

But not every study has found a strong correlation - so working out whether your blood type really does influence Covid-19 infection, and if it does, by how much, still needs much more research

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 17/10/2020 at 09:05, ckn said:

I moved three posts to the Politics thread as that one's likely to get responses rather than here.

That's providing the people who want to respond can access it , or indeed the original posters can read the response 🤔

21 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

That's providing the people who want to respond can access it , or indeed the original posters can read the response 🤔

They can, and they have.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

All of them ? 😉

The original poster can. Those who have the privileges to respond to a politicised post can.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Some potentially good news for anyone who's had a flu jab.

Newly published research has found evidence to suggest that the vaccine might also offer protection against COVID-19.

Two studies carried out in Italy and Brazil, involving more than 100,000 people, found the vaccine reduced the number of coronavirus-related hospital admissions.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2020/oct/nhs-flu-vaccine-found-to-offer-protection-against-covid-19.html

Brain fog....

People who had recovered, including those no longer reporting symptoms, exhibited significant cognitive deficits when controlling for age, gender, education level, income, racial-ethnic group and pre-existing medical disorders. They were of substantial effect size for people who had been hospitalised, but also for mild but biologically confirmed cases who reported no breathing difficulty. Finer grained analyses of performance support the hypothesis that COVID-19 has a multi-system impact on human cognition.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.10.20.20215863v1.full.pdf

I don't think what follows is political

Can someone more authoritative than me on this topic remind us all about the use of disposable face masks. I suspect but can't prove it, that some people are reusing one-trip masks by reusing them or washing them.

I suspect that users of reusable masks my not be following best practice, either.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html

17 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I don't think what follows is political

Can someone more authoritative than me on this topic remind us all about the use of disposable face masks. I suspect but can't prove it, that some people are reusing one-trip masks by reusing them or washing them.

I suspect that users of reusable masks my not be following best practice, either.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html

A practical guide:

The rule on reusable ones is to treat them like underwear. You CAN reuse underwear day-on-day but you really shouldn't and may create other problems if you do. Just wash them at the end of a day.

The rule on disposable ones is that 4hrs is the reasonable maximum use. The more your hands touch the fabric, the shorter that time gets. If you use them >4hrs then you're still doing better than nothing, but the protection for you and others reduces.

9 minutes ago, JonM said:

I thought this was a pretty good article on how the virus is spread - particularly on indoors vs outdoors, mask wearing and how length of time with others matters. 

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html

The 'time' factor has been seriously under stressed throughout the whole of the pandemic with it only really  being mentioned in relation to 15mins at 2m. There has been some work published correlating distance and time to probability of passing on the infection - not sure if I can find it again.

Lonza is plowing ahead in the COVID fight with manufacturing work on Moderna's mRNA-based vaccine and Humanigen's monoclonal antibody lenzilumab. Now, it's signed on to help AstraZeneca, bringing a second antibody hopeful into the fold.

https://www.fiercepharma.com/manufacturing/astrazeneca-taps-lonza-to-churn-out-drug-substance-for-covid-19-antibody

For info only.

A "DES" is a directed service from the centre of NHS to local areas, especially GPs, to get going.

I'll answer non-political questions here if I can. I'll just ignore/delete political ones, or ones that could lead to strange ranty debates.

19 minutes ago, ckn said:

For info only.

A "DES" is a directed service from the centre of NHS to local areas, especially GPs, to get going.

I'll answer non-political questions here if I can. I'll just ignore/delete political ones, or ones that could lead to strange ranty debates.

Not surprised - I've been saying for a while that (at least) one of the vaccines in testing will get rolled out before full approval to try and gain some control. Won't comment further on such as distribution going forward as those views would almost certainly come under a 'political' heading. Understand the 2 vaccines will be the Oxford and Pfizer BioNTech variants?

2 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Not surprised - I've been saying for a while that (at least) one of the vaccines in testing will get rolled out before full approval to try and gain some control. Won't comment further on such as distribution going forward as those views would almost certainly come under a 'political' heading. Understand the 2 vaccines will be the Oxford and Pfizer BioNTech variants?

The NHS will not roll out without full approval. If that gets delayed then there will be no vaccination through the NHS. The unions alone would veto it, never mind the professional bodies, as it'd be an ethical violation. Or so I'm told.

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

The NHS will not roll out without full approval. If that gets delayed then there will be no vaccination through the NHS. The unions alone would veto it, never mind the professional bodies, as it'd be an ethical violation. Or so I'm told.

By not 'full' approval I was implying 'emergency approval'

1 minute ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

By not 'full' approval I was implying 'emergency approval'

Ah, right, get you now. Approved at pace rather than the usual year or two of even trying to get the attention of approval bodies, then it being refused because commas are in the wrong place despite the context and content being perfectly clear

1 minute ago, ckn said:

Ah, right, get you now. Approved at pace rather than the usual year or two of even trying to get the attention of approval bodies, then it being refused because commas are in the wrong place despite the context and content being perfectly clear

Pretty much, as clearly long (or even medium) term effectiveness couldn't possibly be assessed in a few months. I'm certain though that there would still be a pretty stringent safety assessment to negotiate.

On 01/11/2020 at 11:30, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Lonza is plowing ahead in the COVID fight with manufacturing work on Moderna's mRNA-based vaccine and Humanigen's monoclonal antibody lenzilumab. Now, it's signed on to help AstraZeneca, bringing a second antibody hopeful into the fold.

https://www.fiercepharma.com/manufacturing/astrazeneca-taps-lonza-to-churn-out-drug-substance-for-covid-19-antibody

I know that facility well, I was there for a two weeks only a couple of years back.

All the manufacturing capacity is fill. FujiFilm are churning loads out, AGC, Lonza in Switzerland etc

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Archived