Who here went to the World Cup final at Wembley in 1992

I loved that game. I know we lost, but we always do, so that doesn't matter. You can't like something only when you win. Certainly not as a GB/England fan.

I loved this game when I watched it as a kid, and I still love it.

As a kid living in the south of England, it came out of nowhere. I didn't follow rugby league. I had no club team. No one where I'm from ever talked about rugby league. Plus there was no internet back then, so I didn't know how we qualified for the final etc.

I just remember tuning in to Grandstand one afternoon and this was on. Brilliant, no crappy rowing or whatever else the BBC normally put on Grandstand. Actually rowing is alright (at the Olympics anyway), but those of you who used to watch Grandstand know what I mean - it wasn't normally the top sporting events. Volleyball from somewhere. Maybe some motor racing from Thruxton. Steve Rider and Des Lynam was always amazing though.

Anyway, on this occasion it was rugby league, and I'd watched GB in 1990 and loved it. So I knew many of the names - Hanley, Offiah, Schofield, etc. Plus you want to beat the Aussies at stuff, no matter what the sport. It's an awesome rivalry - no hatred, just great sporting rivalry. Love to any Aussies here - in rugby league and cricket you're the ones I love playing most of all. You're alright at rugby union too. Football not so much - I actually support you a bit in that.

Anyway, what an atmosphere that day. The old Wembley. The in-goal marking with the green/yellow and blue/red stripes and the lion and the kangaroo.

So make me envious - who went to this game?

I make no secret of the fact that I'm also an England rugby union fan. Shoot me. But this game trumps 2003. I've never watched that world cup final win again, but I've watched 1992 several times.

Apologies if you're young and this is way before your time, but I hope you can relate to how sport can make you feel. The early 90's were awesome - or maybe that's just my rose tinted spectacles - GB vs Australia and Eubank/Benn/Watson/Collins etc. And Italia 90 and so much more.

I think sport is always best when you're young, and the late 80's/early 90's is my time.

Yeah I've had a few Pimms tonight, so that's why I'm rambling.

I watched on TV. Perhaps I need some help from your "rose-tinted spectacles" and "Pimms" because I recall this as pretty uninspiring from a GB perspective. We defended well, but I don`t think we attempted a single offload in the whole game, and there was little width or shape in our play.

The game was effectively won by one brilliant pass and a correspondingly poor defensive read. From memory the hero and villain were Kevin Walters and John Devereux respectively.

Perhaps at the time you were still under the influence of the previous year`s RU WC final. Followed by a long relationship with Pimms. Unless I`m just hard to please.

Remember leaving the stadium devastated.

Mates just happy to get back to the digs and get on the ######.

However,  i wanted to go home.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

I went.  Saw the Pogues at Wembley Arena the night before, stayed overnight at the Hilton and then had seats in the Olympic Gallery for the match which is probably the best seat I've ever had to watch a game.

Obviously I was disappointed with the result, but considering how much progress had been made in the ten years since the Invincibles tour and how close the teams now were, it was only a matter of time until we were on top...

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

The memory plays tricks.  I've just checked the dates and the Pogues/ rugby double header was 1990 when we won 19 - 12.  

Still went to the 1992 Final though.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

52 minutes ago, bamfordsbeans said:

I went to the game and is another example of another near miss which could have had great implications for the game in this country.

The general profile of RL in this country was greater than at any other time in recent history.Victory would have significantly increased this.

I think the near miss was triggered with Connolly going off injured.  He'd kept Renouf quite all game and had his measure.  Devereaux was good but not the same standard of defence as Gary.

Sure, many other things affected the result but I believe that was a major factor.

Since then no one has improved on the gains made by Reilly and Larder.

Had a great weekend,can remember the fantastic atmosphere before kick off,the match itself was a bit of an arm wrestle with very few chances and the sheer devastation when Renouf hit the gap Deveraux had left and raced away.

its funny that 25yrs later I was sat in Suncorp at another World Cup Final and getting the same devastating feeling when another centre broke away only to be ankle tapped and with it another chance to win a World Cup.

I'd also been to Wembley earlier in the year to see Barcelona v Sampdoria in the European Cup Final.  There were 70,827 at that game against 73,631 at the World Cup Final. 

I only really discovered RL in '92, so didn't attend the game, but can remember watching on TV. 

Think Meninga got BBC Overseas sports personality of the year the same year.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

I went, sat in the Olympic gallery (wonder how high that actually is compared to the new Wembley). Interesting thing was that my ticket cost £50 - 28 years ago!! What cost would that be with inflation factored in? Why didn't we moan about paying those prices back then?

Amazingly tense match. The teams cancelled each other out and it came down to just one moment and one tackle.

3 hours ago, jacksy said:

Remember leaving the stadium devasted.

Mates just happy to get back to the digs and get on this ######.

However,  i wanted to go home.

Only two games in history really left me feeling that way, and this was one of them.

The other was fev v fax 2010

44 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Only two games in history really left me feeling that way, and this was one of them.

The other was fev v fax 2010

I went to both and yes that 2010 game was gut wrenching. Regarding the WC Final, we were so close yet so far, but a great atmosphere. Pity we can't get those crowds no for International RL. Hopefully the World Cup can be a success.

20 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

I went to both and yes that 2010 game was gut wrenching. Regarding the WC Final, we were so close yet so far, but a great atmosphere. Pity we can't get those crowds no for International RL. Hopefully the World Cup can be a success.

We did top that crowd for the equivalent game in 2013 tbf and England weren't in the final. The problem isn't getting the crowds, it is playing international games. They are like rocking horse ####

Good reading these posts . Just looking at the sides in that game . Very strong line ups , their side was a stellar one but we gave them a hell of arm wrestle . As so often though small margins , bit  of magic or a bit of a ‘ what if ‘ . 

Archived