Who here went to the World Cup final at Wembley in 1992

32 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I read the title thread as 1972 for some reason. I would very impressed if anyone here went to that....?

I went to the 1970 Final at Headingley when John Atkinson shook hands with one of the Australian players after the final whilst punching him in the face with the other hand!

Even though we lost as usual I think this was the games peak for recognition in this country. The London based national print media gave it extensive coverage, so did TV & Radio and that was all that existed then. Certainly nothing since has commanded such attention. As to the game itself it was a tight struggle which the longer it went on always seemed likley to go the Aussies way I and everybody around me seemed to accept that we wouldn't come back, a few making for the exits.

The game has personal memories for me too that I won't go into that means it sticks in the memory.

13 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

I went to the 1970 Final at Headingley when John Atkinson shook hands with one of the Australian players after the final whilst punching him in the face with the other hand!

Those were  the days ...

4 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

I was stood on the Eastern terrace at that one, after the Ashes winning tour that summer and a earlier game between the sides in the tournament there was a awful lot of score settling in that final, which if hadn't been the case I think GB would have won on ability and skill alone yet they let the Aussies drag them into a brawl which they were willing participants in alas. Not the best of games with a crowd of 19,000+.

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Those were  the days ...

Thinking back David, I got Fred Lindops autograph on the programme before the game, OK I was only 12 and League mad but a referee's autograph! Sad or what😟

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Only two games in history really left me feeling that way, and this was one of them.

The other was fev v fax 2010

England v New Zealand in 2013 for me.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

I was there : it was a big game, very intense.

We went with a team made with players from "Bataillon de joinville (French Army)" et players from teams over the Paris area. 2nd time in the old Wembley.

We played on sunday (the day afteer) a selection of players from the London area : great memory this trip to London.

4 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

Proper sportsmanship.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

I got the train up from Plymouth for this. In hindsight, possibly the high point of RL's profile with the general public in Britain?

Anyone remember whether there was any pre-match entertainment? I guess the Status Quo, Jason Donovan, Carole Decker, Cliff Richard stuff was in the years after this.

Yes, I was there and had the grimmest pleasure of being behind the posts with a perfect view of Steve Renouf scoring that heartbraker.

I'm fairly certain that this was the game where the bloke in front of me had "HRK" shaved in the back of his head.

I didn't like to ask...

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

3 hours ago, doc said:

Still blame Cummins. 😁 He seemed to give the Aussies everything. 😕

If im the ref. I dont care what anybody says or thinks about me. GB\Eng are going to win.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Yes I was there we arrived early morning in London from a family holiday in the Maldives and Dubai... wife and daughter went home on the train and I then spent several hours in and around Wembley... sooo cold ... met up with friends and family to see the game and went home by mini bus.... and I seem to remember firework displays all along the M1 back to Yorkshire.

the game was really tense and on a knife edge 

I went with a couple of newbies who were blow away by the whole day.

I thought it was a fantastic occasion. The crowd, the build up, everything.

The match was tense and I thought we would win it. Gutted when we lost, but given the progression of 88, 90, 92 it felt like only a matter of time until we won a series/WC. 

Didn't feel anywhere near as bad afterwards as I did after the 1998 grand final at Huddersfield 

14 hours ago, jacksy said:

If im the ref. I dont care what anybody says or thinks about me. GB\Eng are going to win.

1992 World Cup was refereed by Dennis Hale of New Zealand, back in the days when neutral referees were de rigeur for international RL matches. Shaun Edwards had a moan about him before the match, the Aussies predictably had a moan about him afterwards, so one can assume he did a good job.

4 hours ago, JonM said:

1992 World Cup was refereed by Dennis Hale of New Zealand, back in the days when neutral referees were de rigeur for international RL matches. Shaun Edwards had a moan about him before the match, the Aussies predictably had a moan about him afterwards, so one can assume he did a good job.

No idea why I always thought Cummins was the ref. Possible lack of research on my part. 😁😉

54 minutes ago, doc said:

No idea why I always thought Cummins was the ref. Possible lack of research on my part. 😁😉

Stuart Cummings did referee the two world cup finals after this one, although the 2000 one was the Australian thrashing of NZ. 

Thank you all for the replies. I knew some people here would have been, and it was great hearing your memories of it. It's a game I would have loved to go to.

I agree that it probably wasn't as good a game as Wembley 1990 or even 1994 (I love both of those games too), but there is something special about a sell out crowd, as well as it being a World Cup final.

I guess if nothing else, my ramblings hopefully show rugby league administrators the power that the international game/national team can have. I'm not from a rugby league area or background, but some of the GB/England games are right up there with anything that other sports have delivered.

Hopefully England will make the WC final next year and the next generation will be similarly influenced.

Good thread.I was there; first time to wembley at just turned 13 (as a leeds fan at that point we never got there) and the atmosphere was amazing. we were sat right next to the pocket of Aussie supporters way back in the gods... my main memory is it being gloomy and damp, of Deryk Fox kicking penalties, him putting up bomb after bomb and the tension throughout... then those Aussie fans going crazy when renouf broke to score what was the clincher.

A good game, one of which i have revisited lately during lockdown along with the 90 and 92 series which were also tightly contested. We really should/deserved to get something from that 4 year period but it wasn't to be, the Aussies just too mentally tough and extra class when it really mattered.

Archived