South London Masters expelled from the sport by Steering Group

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Jonnywilko10 said:

Haha!! If only it was that simple...we have a situation whereby a club is being expunged from the sport, losing players, volunteers, administrators to the game and in a development area too

Purely because an unelected chairman of a committee simply doesn’t like them - you can’t run a sport like this

I hear the sponsor is taking legal action, the local MP and Sport England have been approached as well as one or two RL journalists

Or they could simply reinstate the club and save everyone the fuss

It’s social rugby for old men at the end of the day

I said before that I think this has to be a story of interest to at least the RL media.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 01/09/2020 at 16:31, Jonnywilko10 said:

- the club has more BAME players than the rest of the Masters circuit combined - 

That bit caught my eye.

Like any other governing body, the RFL wants to look as though it is running an inclusive sport. If its decision is indirectly discriminating against players from a BAME background, especially when they don't have an alternative, then this might be an avenue worth pursuing. Even if the decision stays it might get answers.

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/about-us/what-we-do

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Normally I would direct people who are confused by rugby league politics to compare it to Scottish football. 

I couldn't let that one pass without comment.

If anyone wants to feel a little bit more positive about the way rugby league is administered and managed in the UK, just compare it to Scottish football.

In particular, the SFA's attempts at creating a league pyramid system (something most nations achieved years ago). For details, see Pie and Bovril, Junior Football forum and the "Junior Football, what is the future" thread. You could be gone for some time.

Bottom line is the the Masters Management saw fit to kill a club and they won't say why they've done it.  They didnt consult the club members either, they just decided it would close.  How can that be right?  No chance to appeal either.  Registered in March and stamped out in August. Whod want to start a club now? No promise of stability is there?

I dont care what the rumors say about the person running the club cos there just rumors and nothing proven. Anyway, why punish the club? If they had trouble with the man then they should have dealt with it and not taken it out on everyone else like  its guilt by association.

If they can do this to clippers then they can come for anyone and I don't get why people arent asking more questions. Talk about *masters spirit*.  If we had any then we'd all be supporting the clippers and not ignoring the injustice of it.

On 31/08/2020 at 17:19, Northern Eel said:

I can see that the London Rep on the SG is a gentleman named Ed Baldwin. What is his opinion on this?

Ed Baldwin stood down at the beginning of the year and even that was a farce. He didnt say he was going to stand down so no one put there name up for the vote. Then Ed's best mates wife put herself forward and got one vote and now shes the south rep. Total jobs for the boys.

The new rep is married to Steve lowrie from Aldershot and he's made it plain that he s no friend of the fella from clippers and his missus is the South rep and then the clippers get stamped on. Coincidence? I smell fish.

11 minutes ago, GizzaBall said:

Ed Baldwin stood down at the beginning of the year and even that was a farce. He didnt say he was going to stand down so no one put there name up for the vote. Then Ed's best mates wife put herself forward and got one vote and now shes the south rep. Total jobs for the boys.

The new rep is married to Steve lowrie from Aldershot and he's made it plain that he s no friend of the fella from clippers and his missus is the South rep and then the clippers get stamped on. Coincidence? I smell fish.

Yes, there's no 'smoking gun', there is no proof of financial or administrative misconduct on the part of the club. This is simply about personalities, hence the failure to produce evidence they don't have.

There has been a cartel of luddites running the masters cottage industry for a while now, but they are causing the game harm and hindering its development. Masters has so much potential for growth but is being stymied by a few people desperate to cling on to their little empire and festering personal agendas against individuals who won’t conform to their way and have dared to things differently to how the SG want the game run. 

One could say that is fitting for the sport of rugby league as a whole. 

n1843530936_350_7920764.jpg

I think  the game as lostwhat it is all about  is the game not about keeping people involved with the game and spreading the game if what people are saying  where is the proof and who is the accuser is the sg judge and jury let's get back to what the game is all about fun for all ages  let who ever is be accused have is Day to clear his name and put the record  right

21 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Does the Steering Group not fall under the RFLs remit? Can they not intervene?

You’d think so, but it was the RFL who informed the club of the decision

The club responded by emailing the RFL’s Social & Inclusion manager, Anthony Atherton, who said the decision was final but still wouldn’t give a reason, so something’s afoot

Sport should never be run like this..

3 minutes ago, Jonnywilko10 said:

You’d think so, but it was the RFL who informed the club of the decision

The club responded by emailing the RFL’s Social & Inclusion manager, Anthony Atherton, who said the decision was final but still wouldn’t give a reason, so something’s afoot

Sport should never be run like this..

I’d suggest it be taken up with someone else in RFL then if the case is robust

9 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I’d suggest it be taken up with someone else in RFL then if the case is robust

There is no-one else within the RFL willing to take this on, the poor girl who emailed the club with this news in the first place, works in a completely different department, who’s had all this landed on her

incredible, really

14 minutes ago, Jonnywilko10 said:

There is no-one else within the RFL willing to take this on, the poor girl who emailed the club with this news in the first place, works in a completely different department, who’s had all this landed on her

incredible, really

Marc Lovering is the Director of Participation and Development, have you engaged with him? 

8 hours ago, Silverbacks said:

INFOMATION IS IN CORRECT.

The South London Clippers are a compleatey different entity to the The South London Silverbacks.

The South London Silverbacks are still running and numbers in masters are growing.

Links? Details?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Links? Details?

Basically, South London Masters started out as Storm, then a couple of years ago they hitched their wagon to the Silverbacks, bringing the squad with them (which was then added to). Late last year it was decided to move on again, and most of the old squad followed the organiser to the rebadged club. 

So the Clippers do have a Storm & Silverbacks heritage. 

Great to see the Silverbacks continuing with Masters, a numbers suggest room for two clubs south of the river. 

It needs to be said that the club official who is at the centre of this expulsion fiasco was directly responsible for recruiting many of the players in the first place

8 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Does the Steering Group not fall under the RFLs remit? Can they not intervene?

I get the sense that Masters RL has come a bit out of the blue and the RFL leaves them to it organisationally. Perhaps this is the point where that arrangement fails and the RFL have to take a more direct approach.

Archived