1932 Ashes Tour

Great video here on the test at the SCG (I think). A replica of the shirt, with the 3 flowers badge, is attached below.

https://images.app.goo.gl/BAzQd8i4BHwyVbjT6

For those of a certain disposition, the team is continually referred to as England, despite being captained by the legendary welshman Jim Sullivan (I believe that's him talking at the end of the video). Does anyone else reckon we called ourselves England and lied about having Welsh and Scotsmen in so we could beat the Aussies?

Long, long time since I've seen a kicking duel, you forget how much a part of the game it was up until the 60s. Makes you wonder how they fitted the 50 plus scrums that were part and parcel of a match in! Apart from the scrums the forwards seemed to move five yards one way, turn and go five yards the other way watching the ball fly over their heads.

Great stuff.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Great video here on the test at the SCG (I think). A replica of the shirt, with the 3 flowers badge, is attached below.

https://images.app.goo.gl/BAzQd8i4BHwyVbjT6

For those of a certain disposition, the team is continually referred to as England, despite being captained by the legendary welshman Jim Sullivan (I believe that's him talking at the end of the video). Does anyone else reckon we called ourselves England and lied about having Welsh and Scotsmen in so we could beat the Aussies?

Great bit of history. The 5th test of the Bodyline cricket series took place on the same ground just a few months later.

1 hour ago, Clogiron said:

Long, long time since I've seen a kicking duel, you forget how much a part of the game it was up until the 60s. Makes you wonder how they fitted the 50 plus scrums that were part and parcel of a match in! Apart from the scrums the forwards seemed to move five yards one way, turn and go five yards the other way watching the ball fly over their heads.

Great stuff.

Just for you 👍

the 

These tours were unbelievable.  For the 1932 tour, the team sailed from Southampton on 14th of April arriving in Melbourne on the 19th of May and then travelling to Sydney by train.

They played the last of the 26 matches on the tour against New Zealand on the 20th of August in Aukland before heading home on the very same day... arriving back home on the 23rd of September.

Living in an age when everything has to be instant, this is almost unimaginable. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 hours ago, Clogiron said:

Great stuff.

Started watching RL in the 40's when kicking duels were part of the game. We had one of the best exponents in Freddie Miller who rarely lost one. He was a prodigious kicker/goal kicker and even attempted drop goals from near his own quarter line. Would have loved to have seen him in a duel against Jim Sullivan but born a few years too late!

During the 30's 5 Ashes series were completed and all were won by England/GB. The Aussies never had a similar decade success.

16 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Just for you 👍

the 

The excitements too much for me watching that, what I do find strange is how clubs fail to capitalise on the 40-20 or 20-40 rule, with a good kicker it should be a no brainer, coaches being too scared to try it I suppose?

20 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

On that Ricky Stewart video, why sometimes were players not trying to tackle the kicker? Sometimes they did but on other occasions they just held back.

For a 'downtown' kick (one where the kick is long for field position), the kick chasers were often in front of the kicker and so they have to give the ball reciever 10 metres and if he chooses not to run the 10 then they have to hold back.

In this duel, the majority of both teams were in front of their respective kickers and so could not tackle the player fielding the ball if he did not move 10 metres with the ball.

At the end of the clip, Rod Wishart was onside as he had come from behind the NSW kicker and attempted to tackle Dale Shearer.

In modern day rugby, even kickers chasing long kicks often (not always) try to stay behind the kicker as this allows them to tackle the receiver immediately and potentially make a key play like trapping a player in goal and winning a goal line dropout.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

In modern day rugby, even kickers chasing long kicks often (not always) try to stay behind the kicker as this allows them to tackle the receiver immediately and potentially make a key play like trapping a player in goal and winning a goal line dropout.

Just picking up on this. It is one of the undervalued and underestimated improvements in the tactical play in modern day Rugby League.  The discipline, fitness and tactical nous to regularly chase 40 or 50 metre kicks from an onside position and trap the opposition close to their goal line or occasionally force a drop out and win a repeat set.

This is where the whole GPS tracking shows us that a lot of the peak efforts of players are without the ball as they sprint after kicks and make those 1% plays that can mean the difference between a win and a loss.

On 26/08/2020 at 19:32, Clogiron said:

The excitements too much for me watching that, what I do find strange is how clubs fail to capitalise on the 40-20 or 20-40 rule, with a good kicker it should be a no brainer, coaches being too scared to try it I suppose?

40-20s are regular enough... in the NRL at least. Usually a few every round.

I said from inception, no club will risk a 20-40.

26 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

40-20s are regular enough... in the NRL at least. Usually a few every round.

I said from inception, no club will risk a 20-40.

Amongst the usual gibberish I remember the Sky lot saying that one team in SL kicked it's first 40-20 in Sept of last season! With a good kicker I would expect a team to be registering at least 3 per game, it's a unused weapon thats there for the taking. A 20-40 is a bigger risk I acknowledge but these are professional players we are talking about with plenty of time to practice and acquire the skills and confidence to use these rules to their advantage.

On 28/08/2020 at 18:12, Clogiron said:

Amongst the usual gibberish I remember the Sky lot saying that one team in SL kicked it's first 40-20 in Sept of last season! With a good kicker I would expect a team to be registering at least 3 per game, it's a unused weapon thats there for the taking. A 20-40 is a bigger risk I acknowledge but these are professional players we are talking about with plenty of time to practice and acquire the skills and confidence to use these rules to their advantage.

3 a game is very unrealistic. It’s not like the FB is oblivious to this tactic. Along with his wingers, they regularly hold field position to prevent successful 40-20s

On 28/08/2020 at 11:12, Clogiron said:

I remember playing against Thatto Heath about 20 years ago and they had a halfback who just killed us with pinpoint 40/20s all game.

40/20 is a fantastic tactic , much underused . I don’t think I’ve seen a 20/40 yet . Both great innovations . I think they’re should be flags on these lines as sometimes it’s tough for touchies as it bounces over on the angle 

29 minutes ago, DavidM said:

40/20 is a fantastic tactic , much underused . I don’t think I’ve seen a 20/40 yet . Both great innovations . I think they’re should be flags on these lines as sometimes it’s tough for touchies as it bounces over on the angle 

I think we saw an example of that from Kruise Leeming's kick yesterday.

Archived