Rimmer ‘Clubs survival not guaranteed’

5 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Possibly because the Dewsbury chairman (48% shares owner, a further 20% owned by his family) has money invested (24.9% of the shares, with a further 8.1% owned by his family) in the Bulls?

And he's the Bulls' CEO.....

If I were looking for personal benefit in that situation, I think there's more to be found in keeping the two teams separate.

EDIT
Just to be clear, there is no accusation of anything at all in that above statement.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

If I were looking for personal benefit in that situation, I think there's more to be found in keeping the two teams separate.

EDIT
Just to be clear, there is no accusation of anything at all in that above statement.

I was replying to the question as to why not let the Bulls just go bust? 

16 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

What would be the (imagined) benefits of a merger? If you're Dewsbury, why not just let the Bulls go bust?

The Bulls have the potential to bring 5000 fans and (by RL standards) successful clothing and lottery operations to a successful merged team. If we went to the wall, the name Owl Lane would be poison in Bradford.

as stated above, the Dewsbury CEO, who seems a decent bloke, has a part-ownership of the Bulls. He could still benefit if the Bulls moved to Horsfall Stadium where Bradford Park Avenue have just laid an all-weather pitch. Leisure-clothing sales would go up and, as Dewsbury play in the same colours, he could have a Dewsbury logo embroidered as a replacement for the Bulls logo on polo shirts, coats, track suits, baseball caps etc.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

On 31/08/2020 at 19:51, yipyee said:

Proof please

Also if they are working to a budget and are happy to add money in to plug gaps then that would constitue well run.

London is a stable club who dont face winding up orders or stumble from one crisis to another with the begging buckets out.

I would hazard a guess that you support one of the smaller M62 clubs and have SL envy? 

Search Companies House.

It's a free service.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

20 hours ago, Anonymouse said:

I cannot see a season taking off in 2021 for the Championship or League one . There isn't going to be a tested vaccine until next winter they say and there is no way most of the clubs can afford to test players a couple of times a week during pre season and the season itself 

You may well be right.

21 hours ago, Anonymouse said:

I cannot see a season taking off in 2021 for the Championship or League one . There isn't going to be a tested vaccine until next winter they say and there is no way most of the clubs can afford to test players a couple of times a week during pre season and the season itself 

agreed but FEV have said they can get tests for  free so would assume all other clubs could  try to do the same

1 hour ago, Robthegasman said:

You may well be right.

We need to see how the winter pans out.

I read some SAGE predictions last week - 20% of Covid cases to be hospitalised but there's a bit of a margin of error - it might be 1½% or possibly 42%.  They may as well have been honest and said "we've no idea at all."

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

6 hours ago, POR said:

agreed but FEV have said they can get tests for  free so would assume all other clubs could  try to do the same

For the life of me I really cannot see how or where Featherstone can get these tests done for free.

I just don’t buy it whatsoever.

I think we are going to see some very tough times especially with clubs outside of the Super League.

How will they be able to afford to test the players weekly?They could not afford it now so I don’t think they will be able to next year either.

And it may well be that the maximum capacity at each ground will be drastically reduced thanks to Social Distancing hence substantially reduced attendance figures. And we may well see things such as the taking of temperatures etc which I think will see me decide not to bother attending games any longer.And I am sure others would follow.

I think if we are going to see the game resume outside of Super League the clubs will need to be allowed to stream their games on yes a Pay per View basis which in my they should be allowed to do so.

And yes I would willingly pay my club if they did this next year for this.

7 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

For the life of me I really cannot see how or where Featherstone can get these tests done for free.

Its booking a regular slot at the local NHS centre iirc. The point was made at the time to the Rovers fans that really that's not sustainable or ideal and should be a last resort for clubs with supposedly professional aspirations. Salford for all they are bemoaned off the pitch paid for 2 extra rounds of testing and some players and staff members booked into their NHS centre, but it was by no means relied upon as a service critical to restarting the game.

7 hours ago, SL17 said:

SL can’t continue under current control. They are playing to SKY’s control which is £240k less next season per club.

Who will make the difference up, if they are running at full cap?

Running at full cap......and paying for testing on top, and with less if any supporters and almost certainly less commercial income.

9 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

Perhaps the Fev management just ask their players in turn ‘Have you got Covid-19’ and the players say ‘No’.  There you are all done for free.

8 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

a quote from FEV chairman

Club officials had an agreement in place with a local hub that were prepared to provide tests for all essential staff and a courier service free of charge

and according to batley chairman" kirklees council have confirmed to us by email we can be covered on testing right through 2021 that's an insurance policy for us otherwise we could not afford testing us and dewsbury have sorted that out together it us a major boost making sure we are solid for 2021"

so nowt I can do if you just don’t buy it whatsoever..

so we can't do anything more if you don’t buy it whatsoever.

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Its booking a regular slot at the local NHS centre iirc. The point was made at the time to the Rovers fans that really that's not sustainable or ideal and should be a last resort for clubs with supposedly professional aspirations. Salford for all they are bemoaned off the pitch paid for 2 extra rounds of testing and some players and staff members booked into their NHS centre, but it was by no means relied upon as a service critical to restarting the game.

Leigh have also said they could get the tests for free, Bradford have said they have an arrangement with the local health authority (they've intimated that they need to give something in return but not 'cash') and Batley and Dewsbury have also apparently come to an agreement with their local health authority to provide tests. As you say, whether those arrangements would provide a timely, reliable (considering how many tests are reported to go missing) service and how sustainable it would be if and when local outbreaks occur.....

6 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Leigh have also said they could get the tests for free, Bradford have said they have an arrangement with the local health authority (they've intimated that they need to give something in return but not 'cash') and Batley and Dewsbury have also apparently come to an agreement with their local health authority to provide tests. As you say, whether those arrangements would provide a timely, reliable (considering how many tests are reported to go missing) service and how sustainable it would be if and when local outbreaks occur.....

Exactly, and we've seen the effect of doing it on the cheap in the fixture chaos in Super League.

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

You still need fans in the ground. Free testing or not.

that's true  but crowds are starting to filter back so hazard a guess all clubs next season will have some proportion of crowds back but  getting games going even behind closed doors testing was the first hurdle  that needed to be jumped and free at source was a major obstacle the championship clubs had to overcome

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

Testing was the first hurdle months ago. Who says you will need it come next season?

Its fine shouting now when the season is dead.

Indeed, nobody has any idea what next season (or the world next year) will look like, it’s pointless speculating. 

On 29/08/2020 at 22:55, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

York has been a league club since more or less the begining and York is a solidly league town.... Its as heartlands as Fev or Cas

Not really, though no disrespect to York as a great club.

Fev and Cas are in RL heartland and when you are in the area you know you are in RL territory, virtually everywhere you look.

York however struggles in this regard. York as a city is well known for many things, but ouside its loyal fanbase it is hardly visible for its RL. 

Their supporters are keen and loyal and a great bunch of folk.

Go to York and you'd be lucky to see any signs of RL unless you knew where to look.

22 hours ago, POR said:

Dewsbury, Batley and Bradford have agreed the same with their local HA's.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

15 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

Correct, that's what free means.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

6 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

The difference is this is using local health professionals, not SERCO.

On 01/09/2020 at 20:48, gingerjon said:

EDIT

If I were looking for personal benefit I wouldn't go within 100 miles of owning shares in a RL club.

Archived