Ellery Hanley...

... turns 60 in March and looks better than I did when I was 20!

And he can pull off a dapper outfit better than Phil as well.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a man who played the hardest team sport there is for years and played it as well as anyone who's ever played the game. 

He also turned around a life that was not destined for good things. 

He was a triumph as a player and a man. 

But I've never seen a worse outfit than that pink jacket with the zipped shirt. 

People called Romans they go the house

27 minutes ago, MrPosh said:

This is a man who played the hardest team sport there is for years and played it as well as anyone who's ever played the game. 

He also turned around a life that was not destined for good things. 

He was a triumph as a player and a man. 

But I've never seen a worse outfit than that pink jacket with the zipped shirt. 

Spot on. Just had row on line with someone bagging him. EH and RFL perfect match

41 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Anyone know what he does for a job these days?

You would assume he wouldn't have enough cash in the bank from a RL career to retire.

Why not? Hanley was very well paid for a long time and has had numerous coaching gigs since.

He played it just as hard as a youth.i were in 3 year above him when he played at our place. a clip from an old paper. happy birthday Ellery.

(Parkside had won the Leeds boys rugby league trophy from 1970 - 1974. In 1975 we took that trophy from them, and we were in the skyrack news paper. That year we had Ellery Hanley who went on to be one of the best RL players of all time. We had Henderson Gill who went on to play along side Ellery for a few clubs and Great Britain. And there was also a lad from Hull called Carl Sanderson who went on to play for one of the Hull clubs. We had some good times at that school.)

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

You would assume he wouldn't have enough cash in the bank from a RL career to retire.

Going back many many years I had been told that he put his money into property.  But that was some bloke/mate. 

Hanley turning 60 means I am showing my age.   As for Hanley memories, I remember Wigan playing Bradford after we had signed him, and a Bradford fan imploring their players to "get him by the legs!".

I seem to remember him making his name playing for Bradford in a TV game and going the length of the field.

5 minutes ago, silverback said:

He played it just as hard as a youth.i were in 3 year above him when he played at our place. a clip from an old paper. happy birthday Ellery.

(Parkside had won the Leeds boys rugby league trophy from 1970 - 1974. In 1975 we took that trophy from them, and we were in the skyrack news paper. That year we had Ellery Hanley who went on to be one of the best RL players of all time. We had Henderson Gill who went on to play along side Ellery for a few clubs and Great Britain. And there was also a lad from Hull called Carl Sanderson who went on to play for one of the Hull clubs. We had some good times at that school.)

Gill was part of an epic event on tv when he scored a hat trick(?) against Leeds. John Atkinson, pretty usefull himself, suffered.  Colin Welland did a little documentary I think.

6 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

I think he invested his money very wisely, property, so no need to work for Ellery.

Archived