Ellery Hanley...

On 29/08/2020 at 23:15, Rupert Prince said:

Gill was part of an epic event on tv when he scored a hat trick(?) against Leeds. John Atkinson, pretty usefull himself, suffered.  Colin Welland did a little documentary I think.

Was that John  Green Vigo of Wigan you were thinking of?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Ellery was a supremely talented RL player , but somehow I just can't take to him , just always seems a bit ' dour ' , he is from Yorkshire I take it ?

You do not "take" to a player. You just sit back and appreciate his skills and movement on the park.

19 hours ago, Damien said:

It was good to see Ellery on Sky today. He is a legend who is one of the few RL players that is widely known beyond the sport. 

And he has been retired for 25 years, what does that say about the sport? The only other players the general public might know have RU connections.

55 minutes ago, saddleworth said:

You do not "take" to a player. You just sit back and appreciate his skills and movement on the park.

You mean like " he was a supremely talented player " ? , Like that bit you mean ? 

It's his ' persona ' I am not a fan of , which is my opinion , maybe if he'd smile a bit more often , as I said , he's from Yorkshire , so always seems a bit depressed 

Paul Scholes was a fantastic footballer , Roy Keane similarily , but they are THE worst pundits in the history of the game 

2 hours ago, Clogiron said:

And he has been retired for 25 years, what does that say about the sport? The only other players the general public might know have RU connections.

That’s the downside of taking the SKY dollar!

We are squirrelled away behind a TV paywall, accessible to only a few tens of thousands of viewers, the worlds best kept secret! 

1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

That’s the downside of taking the SKY dollar!

We are squirrelled away behind a TV paywall, accessible to only a few tens of thousands of viewers, the worlds best kept secret! 

In terms of club rugby union they even more hidden behind a paywall than Rugby League by having most of their comps on BT Sport.

The big difference is that they prioritise international rugby and still have massive exposure on BBC and ITV for that.

15 minutes ago, arcticchris said:

In terms of club rugby union they even more hidden behind a paywall than Rugby League by having most of their comps on BT Sport.

The big difference is that they prioritise international rugby and still have massive exposure on BBC and ITV for that.

And access to the most disproportionately huge sponsorship deals in world sport!

21 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Gill was part of an epic event on tv when he scored a hat trick(?) against Leeds. John Atkinson, pretty usefull himself, suffered.  Colin Welland did a little documentary I think.

Wasn't that Green Vigo 

7 hours ago, RS said:

Was that John Vigo of Wigan you were thinking of?

Wow... Green Vigo.  Yes.  Fancy that.  I'd forgotten all about Green Vigo.  Disgraceful of me to forget.  Quite a character. It was his not Gill who made the length of the field try.

1 hour ago, arcticchris said:

What is worse is that on terrestrial we have very few home internationals and the Challenge Cup is in decline and it's fixtures are repetitive.  Our main market is the league.

13 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Wow... Green Vigo.  Yes.  Fancy that.  I'd forgotten all about Green Vigo.  Disgraceful of me to forget.  Quite a character. It was his not Gill who made the length of the field try.

He could certainly run,poor John Atkinson,a great winger himself was terrorised that day,.It watched that game on TV as a young lad and was one of the reasons I became a Wigan fan.

53 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

He could certainly run,poor John Atkinson,a great winger himself was terrorised that day,.It watched that game on TV as a young lad and was one of the reasons I became a Wigan fan.

Oct 27 1977 at Leeds.  1st Round of John Player Cup.  Had to look it up, courtesy of York's Evening Post.  

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/leeds-rhinos-bygones-leeds-look-green-envy-wigan-wing-vigo-cuts-loose-645408

A great game, I saw it on TV.  It is polite when The Post says that Leeds were the most erratic team in world rugby at the time.  Atkinson retired straight after, but came back. He was a good player.

17 hours ago, arcticchris said:

Yet on BT they promote the clubs and player's in other areas,  how often do Sky do that? When they preview the forthcoming month RL never gets a mention, after 25 years it's still regarded as filler.

21 hours ago, arcticchris said:

And still the majority of the British public couldn’t name most of the England RU team. 

5 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Oct 27 1977 at Leeds.  1st Round of John Player Cup.  Had to look it up, courtesy of York's Evening Post.  

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/leeds-rhinos-bygones-leeds-look-green-envy-wigan-wing-vigo-cuts-loose-645408

A great game, I saw it on TV.  It is polite when The Post says that Leeds were the most erratic team in world rugby at the time.  Atkinson retired straight after, but came back. He was a good player.

He certainly was. I read an interview with him a few years later where he said he had finished his shift as a policeman, jumped in the car and arrived at Headingley just in time to take the field.

He was so upset at his opposing winger scoring a hat-trick that he retired. His season ended on a happy note though when he scored a try in Leeds’ Challenge Cup win over St. Helens.

4 hours ago, CmonTheBorough said:

He certainly was. I read an interview with him a few years later where he said he had finished his shift as a policeman, jumped in the car and arrived at Headingley just in time to take the field.

He was so upset at his opposing winger scoring a hat-trick that he retired. His season ended on a happy note though when he scored a try in Leeds’ Challenge Cup win over St. Helens.

Ah yes, someone beating Saints at Wembley.  It warms the cockles of one's heart.

15 hours ago, bobbruce said:

And still the majority of the British public couldn’t name most of the England RU team. 

Exactly, whereas 30 years ago there were a number of household RU names. I have no interest in RU but can name several from the 1980's and 1990's, today I couldn't name one who isn't an ex-RL player (from any nation). That is common in all sports, apart from the mega-global ones which focus entirely on international events (apart from soccer).

• 3 months later...

Thought I would drag this thread back to the surface because I came across this today.

In 2004, in response to the 'Great Britons' survey (which didn't include any black people in the top 100), a survey to find the greatest black Briton was carried out... after a 100,000 responses the list was tallied.

The full list is here The top 100 list in full | London Evening Standard but there were no sportspeople in the top 10 but Ellery Hanley came it at number 11.

This is ahead of athletes like Daley Thompson (17), Linford Christie (53) and footballers John Barnes (43), Ian Wright (52) and Viv Anderson (60).  

Martin Offiah also came in at 44 so great to see two Rugby League players recognized by the wider public.

Being quite introverted in Rugby League all those years ago it is interesting to see how Hanley and Offiah transcended the sport and were more recognized than some other really well known athletes.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived