Team Names

Eddie

As this country is so keen to emulate the NRL I am surprised the system doesn't just use the latter part of club names/nicknames,as they do in the NRL.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nrl+league+table&oq=NRL+&aqs=chrome.5.69i57j0l7.36195j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Even the teams shown in the Match Report today,on TRL, are listed until Panthers and Broncos.

All the Australian press and media are with it,also.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

As this country is so keen to emulate the NRL I am surprised the system doesn't just use the latter part of club names/nicknames,as they do in the NRL.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nrl+league+table&oq=NRL+&aqs=chrome.5.69i57j0l7.36195j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Even the teams shown in the Match Report today,on TRL, are listed until Panthers and Broncos.

All the Australian press and media are with it,also.

Thats true to an extent. Though on TV I've noticed that while Channel 9 goes with the nickname on the scoreboard, Fox goes with the place name.

I think we're a bit more traditionalist and a lot less Americanised than Oz so are less ott with the team nick names only

34 minutes ago, M j M said:

I can't help but think Zingari would have been a bit more exotic. 

I remember reading about the original Warrington Zingari name as a teenager, and thinking that we must have been sponsored by a fancy foreign washing machine manufacturer or something 😆

Does sound cool though...

53 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I remember reading about the original Warrington Zingari name as a teenager, and thinking that we must have been sponsored by a fancy foreign washing machine manufacturer or something 😆

Does sound cool though...

Club motto "Anno nostrae semper" ?

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Thats true to an extent. Though on TV I've noticed that while Channel 9 goes with the nickname on the scoreboard, Fox goes with the place name.

I think we're a bit more traditionalist and a lot less Americanised than Oz so are less ott with the team nick names only

I've seen some times in the past where they've used the principal sponsor name and the suffix.

The Vodafone warriors 

9 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

I've seen some times in the past where they've used the principal sponsor name and the suffix.

The Vodafone warriors 

I think thats a case of Vodafone paying for that to happen actually. They're sponsorship is above and beyond the norm including naming rights.

Tbf I don't think its necessarily a bad thing for the Warriors. Auckland worked quite well but New Zealand as a name always seemed a bit off the mark to me.

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I’ve no evidence for this but I’d suggest it’s a throwback to when the mergers were going on and a means to detract attention from the teams that nominally represented more than one area. 

19 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I’ve no evidence for this but I’d suggest it’s a throwback to when the mergers were going on and a means to detract attention from the teams that nominally represented more than one area. 

Arguably works too and again points to the Americanised view where the location of the club is less important than the name of the team.

On 31/08/2020 at 04:29, JonM said:

Widnes is a Norse place name though, which probably gives it a slightly better claim than the Minnesota Vikings or the Canberra Vikings.

While I generally agree with you on nicknames, it is worth pointing out that county cricket and professional rugby union have followed suit, as have many/most soccer clubs

Minnesota's claim is a very good one, the state has many residents of Scandinavian heritage and Vikings was chosen to reflect that.

On 31/08/2020 at 21:24, M j M said:

And does anybody think Hull FC or Wakefield Trinity are weaker brands than their Super League rivals? The strength of a Rugby League club's brand image relies on so much more than simply appending a name. And when that name is frivolous, dissonant or invites ridicule it is positively damaging. 

I was quite happy with the "Sharks" brand Hull FC had for a while,and l know a lot of people in Hull really liked it.

I can speak Esperanto like a native.

9 hours ago, Barry Badrinath said:

The Vodafone warriors 

I think the NZ Warriors are actually called the Vodafone Warriors, officially. It’s a shame because they’re my NRL team and I can’t even buy a hoodie or anything like that because all their clobber has Vodafone plastered all over it. 

9 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I think thats a case of Vodafone paying for that to happen actually. They're sponsorship is above and beyond the norm including naming rights.

Tbf I don't think its necessarily a bad thing for the Warriors. Auckland worked quite well but New Zealand as a name always seemed a bit off the mark to me.

I think NZ is fine as long as there is just one team from NZ in the NRL. I assume calling the team Auckland might put people from other cities off. Not sure what they’ll do in the unlikely event of another NZ team ever joining the NRL though. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I think NZ is fine as long as there is just one team from NZ in the NRL. I assume calling the team Auckland might put people from other cities off. Not sure what they’ll do in the unlikely event of another NZ team ever joining the NRL though. 

Quite, but that decision has been removed from them by the Vodafone sponsorship.

16 hours ago, Eddie said:

There was a football league in Liverpool called the Zingari Alliance, I always assumed Zingari was the sponsor. One of the reasons why I love this forum because I always learn new stuff reading it. 

Cricket club in Hull called Hull Zingari. Play in the York & District Senior League.

The thing about Nicknames is being unique. Chemics or Vikings? Wolves or Wire? Bulls or Northern? The argument is that you can't market Chemics, Wire or Northern. Total and utter b0££0cks. Lazy, lazy marketing that's all. As a marketing professional I would say all it takes is a bit of imagination. As an Oldham fan I have long argued for the the name Roughyed to be an official part of the name. It's unique , if you say who are the bulls? Well Chicago, obviously. Hornets? Well charlotte of course. There are more Rovers than you can shake a stick at. Warriors, good grief , lazy. But Chemics, Wire, Northern and Roughyeds. They are unique, they are our history. A brand is not a cuddly toy, it is a belief , a way of life, a story of games lost and won. Just like the greatest game. Let's ditch the lazy marketing a put the history back into our teams. 

18 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Cricket club in Hull called Hull Zingari. Play in the York & District Senior League.

Indeed, anyone with Zingari in their name is probably riffing off the daddy of them all, the *very* exclusive I Zingari CC, which all the way until 2005 was the only amateur side that had all its match reports in Wisden every year....

If you didn’t have a ground, then some clubs went with Zingari because I Zingari were a well known landmark of the reported sporting scene and you hoped for a bit of reflected glory by association. Probably second in rank only to MCC in terms of prestige.

11 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

The thing about Nicknames is being unique. Chemics or Vikings? Wolves or Wire? Bulls or Northern? The argument is that you can't market Chemics, Wire or Northern. Total and utter b0££0cks. Lazy, lazy marketing that's all. As a marketing professional I would say all it takes is a bit of imagination. As an Oldham fan I have long argued for the the name Roughyed to be an official part of the name. It's unique , if you say who are the bulls? Well Chicago, obviously. Hornets? Well charlotte of course. There are more Rovers than you can shake a stick at. Warriors, good grief , lazy. But Chemics, Wire, Northern and Roughyeds. They are unique, they are our history. A brand is not a cuddly toy, it is a belief , a way of life, a story of games lost and won. Just like the greatest game. Let's ditch the lazy marketing a put the history back into our teams. 

And those clubs have been called Rovers for a hundred years or more (and indeed Hornets), so that’s hardly the fault of modern day “lazy marketing”.

As it is, the Bulls/Rhinos nicknames are unique within the sport we play. There are only so many to go round, particularly if you’re going to start comparing with different sports on a different continent and not within the relevant market for each club.

And, let’s be honest, there are less than a dozen suffixes spread around the 92 Football League clubs but football seems to do ok?

Archived