pavement parking

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good moneymaker for the local councils.when i lived in mirfield the whole road had to park half on the pavment otherwise dustbin waggon/fire engine/and school bus couldent get down road.Just been to sainsburys and took notice on way home of just how many are on pavements and they will make a fortune.

20 minutes ago, silverback said:

A good moneymaker for the local councils.when i lived in mirfield the whole road had to park half on the pavment otherwise dustbin waggon/fire engine/and school bus couldent get down road.Just been to sainsburys and took notice on way home of just how many are on pavements and they will make a fortune.

A lot of the houses on my stretch of road have converted their front gardens to parking bays, just to avoid fines, as we're on a bus route. Who needs greenery, anyway?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I park half on half off. Otherwise my car would create an obstruction.... an increased risk from what is currently minimises by my parking as I do.

If i, and my neighbours park fully on the road it will lead to increased accidents.... so the local authority will need to get busy with yellow paint 

14 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I park half on half off. Otherwise my car would create an obstruction.... an increased risk from what is currently minimises by my parking as I do.

If i, and my neighbours park fully on the road it will lead to increased accidents.... so the local authority will need to get busy with yellow paint 

What difference does that make , in the Romanian quarter of Leigh the all just park over the double yellows anyway , nobody ever gets a ticket 

Coventry will be grid locked.

For a city that was the centre of the British motor industry there was no planning to accommodate cars. The city grew rapidly between the wars with an influx of workers for the car industry. They never factored in that one day some of the workers would be able to afford their own car let alone more than 1 per household.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Number of times in the streets by us families/Mum/Dad or Gran's with Prams have to walk into the road because of such self centred parking. Yep self centred... that is they never think how a pram will get past... as they park so far over... self centred - we have many such in our Town.. and yep I forget myself too but I'm at least conscious I'm being a self centred .......

I guess to have wider roads due to bad planning as cities and Towns grew we could just knock down the houses and build wider roads - no not serious but I read the comment above.

Road getting out from where I live is a permanent one way street with cars parked all the way down one side . All of those houses have drives and garages . Just absolute murder getting in and out when there’s always a car coming the other way . Even worse is outside our cul de sac is a blind bend to get to the road and there’s always a car parked literally right on it . I mean who does that ? Obviously someone with the brain the size of a stunted amoeba . Our MP has sent out flyers for a ‘ consultation ‘ on this .  Basically way too many cars about 

Parking on pavements damages them and costs the local taxpayers money to fix, so it's not a moneymaker for councils..

Usually parking enforcement is in the hands of local authorities, not the police, I understand. 

One pleasure left to me is to see a parking warden issuing tickets. Warms the heart it does.

Parking on one side of street only, even with residents permits, tow away pavement parkers, pull toenails out with pliers, make recidivists attend  hmmm. ..Let's see now..Norwich City games.

Shortage of parking on estates and offices etc is I understand, part of planning rules to try to discourage car use. 

Target the offenders, not  everyone.

Anyone issued with a fixed penalty should be made to attend a driver re-education session at the offenders cost. The only opportunity the authorities have to provide training sessions post-driving test is when someone is caught breaking the law.

Parking ticket? Pay it, plus £150 for a driver re-eduction course.

Speeding ticket? Pay it, plus £150 for a driver re-education course.

Carless driving? Ditto. Ad nauseum...

It's a difficult one as a hell of a lot of houses particularly terraced houses where built when cars where not around. I'm fortunate that I have space to park my car but I understand the frustration of people that do not. At the end of the day the countries not big enough anymore. But that's just me. 

Discourage car use!

Speeding Fines? Parking Fines? Car Parks? Car Tax? Fuel Duty? 

Pressure from Motor Manufacturers, Petroleum Corporations......

All the above just for starters. 

They don't really want to discourage car use, motorists are a total cash cow, they want to milk motorists. 

i used ot sit as motocyling rep on our towns transport users forum, this was  going to happen "imminently" in the early 2000's

A great idea in theory but impossible in practce - i lived in a 10'6" wide terrace house on this street, eou can not park without sitting on the pavement or there would be no roadway, they even demolished a couple of houses to create garages but a car is longer than the house widths

https://goo.gl/maps/TGURGAG7mS3Yyt5p7

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Parking on pavements damages them and costs the local taxpayers money to fix, so it's not a moneymaker for councils..

Usually parking enforcement is in the hands of local authorities, not the police, I understand. 

One pleasure left to me is to see a parking warden issuing tickets. Warms the heart it does.

Parking on one side of street only, even with residents permits, tow away pavement parkers, pull toenails out with pliers, make recidivists attend  hmmm. ..Let's see now..Norwich City games.

Shortage of parking on estates and offices etc is I understand, part of planning rules to try to discourage car use. 

Target the offenders, not  everyone.

Anyone issued with a fixed penalty should be made to attend a driver re-education session at the offenders cost. The only opportunity the authorities have to provide training sessions post-driving test is when someone is caught breaking the law.

Parking ticket? Pay it, plus £150 for a driver re-eduction course.

Speeding ticket? Pay it, plus £150 for a driver re-education course.

Carless driving? Ditto. Ad nauseum...

Currently only warranted wadens as opposed to civilian parking enforcement officers can deal with pavement parking as unless there is a double yellow then it is the offence of "obstructing the pavement" which is a courts matter not a fixed penalty ticket

Every authority who has replaced warranted parking wardens with civilian parking enforecement has made a rod for their own back

It's hard to see how it's really going to be workable. If you live in an old narrow terrace, likely part of several rows of similar terraces, on narrow streets, banning parking on the pavements would mean half the street having to find somewhere away from their house to park their cars. Nothing wrong with a bit of exercise of course, but you're then clogging up other streets with cars. They will probably be bigger streets and also busier streets and you're possibly going to cause a hazard for pedestrians trying to cross in between rows of parked cars.

On the other hand, I live next door to someone who has used a wheelchair all their life. It's pretty unfair for them to be unable to use the pavements because someone has parked across them. Despite sympathising with those on narrow streets I do tend to think it should be perfectly legal to walk over the top of a car if it's parked on the pavement. Where I live pretty much every house has a garage and a driveway and yet some people still park all the way across the pavement.

1 hour ago, moorside roughyed said:

It's a difficult one as a hell of a lot of houses particularly terraced houses where built when cars where not around. I'm fortunate that I have space to park my car but I understand the frustration of people that do not. At the end of the day the countries not big enough anymore. But that's just me. 

That's just me? How much room do you take up? 😀😀

There are a lot of London Boroughs where the parking 'bays' include being half on the payment

I park in my home town where there are the same, marked parking bays half on half off

The road isn't wide enough for traffic with full on road parking, never mind the bin wagon, delivery van & emergency services. Not sure, in practice, that this is workable, and I'm all for using cars less

That would need public transport to be better (whole different thread required) and then there's discrimination against residents of they have to park half a mile away

3 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

There are a lot of London Boroughs where the parking 'bays' include being half on the payment

I park in my home town where there are the same, marked parking bays half on half off

The road isn't wide enough for traffic with full on road parking, never mind the bin wagon, delivery van & emergency services. Not sure, in practice, that this is workable, and I'm all for using cars less

That would need public transport to be better (whole different thread required) and then there's discrimination against residents of they have to park half a mile away

This is very much one for the Irish saying of "I wouldn't start from here". Whatever solution ends up being proposed is going to massively inconvenience people who have done nothing wrong.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Although I hate people parking on pavements on main roads, especially when Im trying to pull ONTO a main road and I can't see oncoming traffic, I can see its plus sides, for instance, a few years ago the fire brigade pushed leaflets through to encourage local residents to park half on/half off just so they can get down the side streets easier, it makes perfect sense

4 hours ago, JohnM said:

But the pavement is classed as part of the highways. so we already pay for the upkeep with our road tax to start with.not that much gets done around our area anyways with roads falling apart,so what ever ammount they make its all towards a decent council christmas dinner.am glad i know live out in the sticks and have ample parking,Town centers are bleak places now due to parking wardens over the past few years killing off folks nipping in to town.one town near us as free parking and its a very busy place for shoppers.

Archived