pavement parking

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where I live in North Hull, they've just spent 7 weeks resurfacing the road meaning nobody could park outside their house on the road, let alone the path.

They now have completed the work but there was some confusion during it as there were three official dropped kerbs and one unofficial dropped kerbs so a decison was taken to put a dropped kerb outside everyone's property.

The residents who didn't have a dropped kerb before, because it costs several hundred pounds to have one fitted, used to park all over the grass verges and footpath.

Now, they have suddenly found a dropped kerb and nice run up to their front garden, they've all cut down their front fences and now park proudly in their front garden. Unfortunately, every time they go out in their car, they leave muddy tyre trails all over the path and nice new road surface. One particular property has three cars including a Range Rover, lord only knows what the path and road will look like outside their house during winter, I imagine said Range Rover will come in handy towing the other cars onto the street when the weather deteriorates.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Along the seafront here it is mostly 'Resident Parking Only', so the traffic wardens are a regular sight along here, there are a few shops and a Hotel, and there is usually a BMW with a parking ticket because of their arrogance. My Neighbour recently had to park her car 500m away because there was no spaces, and she was 8 months pregnant, and the cannot afford the costs of a limited edition* parking permit.

*Limited edition because of the number of flats along the road must outnumber the parking spaces by 15-1

If anybody doubts me, do a google maps street view of Warrior Square. Mind you, given the unemployment level around here I worry that a lot of people can't afford cars anyway

15 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

I totally agree that pavement parking should be banned.

But unfortunately and especially on the road I live on,there is little choice but to mount half of the pavement otherwise cars would get smashed up.

Same, if it was banned on my street, and we all parked on the street, it would block the street for passing traffic.

29 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

I totally agree that pavement parking should be banned.

But unfortunately and especially on the road I live on,there is little choice but to mount half of the pavement otherwise cars would get smashed up.

There is an alternative: park elsewhere. Wholly accepted it's not necessarily practical, however there does seem an irrational assumption at times in this country that you have to be able to park outside your door. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

1 minute ago, gazza77 said:

There is an alternative: park elsewhere. Wholly accepted it's not necessarily practical, however there does seem an irrational assumption at times in this country that you have to be able to park outside your door. 

I would like to park my van elsewhere even if it is a few minutes walk away.

I had my last van written off(Cat S write off)because a recovery type(how ironic)damaged it.

I don’t want the new van to suffer the same fate 

3 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

I agree to a point. I am constantly amazed how territorial peope are over the strip of road and pavement outside their house, despite them having no claim to it at all. 

But, if I street parking was banned on my street and presumably on all streets in the locality, it would literally be impossible to find anywhere to park within miles of the house.

25 minutes ago, distantdog said:

I agree to a point. I am constantly amazed how territorial peope are over the strip of road and pavement outside their house, despite them having no claim to it at all. 

But, if I street parking was banned on my street and presumably on all streets in the locality, it would literally be impossible to find anywhere to park within miles of the house.

Same around here. I appreciate there is a balance to be found, however stopping a handful of people who insist it's their right to park and inconvenience multiple others would be a start. A better solution needs to be found. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Archived