Disciplinary

As we all knew apart from the ones with cherry and white blinkers. Say it again James Child is simply not good enough.

Morgan Smithies of Wigan Warriors has been issued with a two-match penalty notice after today’s meeting of the RFL Match Review Panel on a Grade C charge of headbutting in Saturday’s Betfred Super League fixture against Castleford Tigers.

Smithies has also been ordered to appear at a tribunal tomorrow on a Grade D charge of dangerous contact, following an incident in the 43rd minute of the match.

Suaia Matagi of Huddersfield Giants has been issued with a two-match penalty notice on a Grade C charge of dangerous contact in the 58th minute of Sunday’s Betfred Super League fixture against Hull FC.

Joe Cator of Hull FC has been issued with a one-match penalty notice on a Grade B charge of dangerous contact in the 45th minute of the same fixture.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, snapski said:

As we all knew apart from the ones with cherry and white blinkers. Say it again James Child is simply not good enough.

Morgan Smithies of Wigan Warriors has been issued with a two-match penalty notice after today’s meeting of the RFL Match Review Panel on a Grade C charge of headbutting in Saturday’s Betfred Super League fixture against Castleford Tigers.

Smithies has also been ordered to appear at a tribunal tomorrow on a Grade D charge of dangerous contact, following an incident in the 43rd minute of the match.

Suaia Matagi of Huddersfield Giants has been issued with a two-match penalty notice on a Grade C charge of dangerous contact in the 58th minute of Sunday’s Betfred Super League fixture against Hull FC.

Joe Cator of Hull FC has been issued with a one-match penalty notice on a Grade B charge of dangerous contact in the 45th minute of the same fixture.

Those charges seem much larger than usual! 

1 hour ago, snapski said:

So exactly what is wrong with this? 

I hope he learns from this and plays smarter in the future. I know that as a smaller forward it helps to be aggressive but there's obviously a line that shouldn't be crossed. Bateman looked like he could fall foul of letting his aggression get the best of him when he was the same age. A few years later and he's likely to be a captaincy candidate next season.

He's a very talented player is Smithies, but no Wigan fan is too worried about him not being available for selection for a few weeks. We've got plenty of competition for places in his position so if he continues to fall foul of the disciplinary committee he could lose his place and I'm sure he's aware of that.

10 hours ago, JohnM said:

So exactly what is wrong with this? 

A Hull FC player has been disciplined, it's at the bottom in large letters mate.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

The trouble with the modern game is it allows cheap shot merchants such as Smithies to get away with 10 mins in the bin then allowed back on the field, had that first offence happened (two headbutts and a swinging arm albeit it missed but the intent was there) a few years back there would be one or two 'old pro's' who would be having a 'physical' little private word in his ear hole, after the second offence (crusher, as bad as it comes) it would not have been any disciplinary that would be keeping him on the sidelines for a few weeks! 

I remember the times when someone commited an offense that was so blatantly obvious it led to the victim being taken from the field injured and so the crowd would chant Off, Off, Off, I use to comment and say 'leave him on" justice will no doubt prevail.

29 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

The trouble with the modern game is it allows cheap shot merchants such as Smithies to get away with 10 mins in the bin then allowed back on the field, had that first offence happened (two headbutts and a swinging arm albeit it missed but the intent was there) a few years back there would be one or two 'old pro's' who would be having a 'physical' little private word in his ear hole, after the second offence (crusher, as bad as it comes) it would not have been any disciplinary that would be keeping him on the sidelines for a few weeks! 

I remember the times when someone commited an offense that was so blatantly obvious it led to the victim being taken from the field injured and so the crowd would chant Off, Off, Off, I use to comment and say 'leave him on" justice will no doubt prevail.

These "old pro" role models of yours, did they have as strong a grip on reality as you? 

46 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

You mean like that model of virtuosity & gentlemanly conduct Tim Street,behave H

4 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

You mean like that model of virtuosity & gentlemanly conduct Tim Street,behave H

Now I know you are a Wiggin fan Dav, would you like me to list a few enforcers that have been employed down the years at Central Park and the JJB. 

Also since the Nat. Conference came into being it has given me the opportunity to see and visit teams from farther afield I have had the pleasure of going up to and watching Wath Brow on a few occasions, his name escapes me at the moment but I seem to recall you had a lad who was pretty handy at keeping "law and order" on the field, also witnessed Leroy Joe showing his experience and a few 'professional' traits, but as far as I am concerned Dav this is Rugby League. 

Dare I say in my opinion the game has become to sanitised in recent years?

"I'll get me coat".

16 hours ago, doc said:

Smithies reminds me of Houston, formerly of Widnes. Aggressive in tackle, plays well, but is a penalty machine.

Struggling to remember him playing well. He was certainly good for a penalty or ten.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Now I know you are a Wiggin fan Dav, would you like me to list a few enforcers that have been employed down the years at Central Park and the JJB. 

Also since the Nat. Conference came into being it has given me the opportunity to see and visit teams from farther afield I have had the pleasure of going up to and watching Wath Brow on a few occasions, his name escapes me at the moment but I seem to recall you had a lad who was pretty handy at keeping "law and order" on the field, also witnessed Leroy Joe showing his experience and a few 'professional' traits, but as far as I am concerned Dav this is Rugby League. 

Dare I say in my opinion the game has become to sanitised in recent years?

"I'll get me coat".

So it's not really as you stated "it's the trouble with the modern game" now is it and Smithies actions while wrong and rightly punished by suspension pales in significance compared to the thuggery displayed by many players in the days you seem so keen on celebrating.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yep , that’s often how it was 

15 hours ago, EagleEyePie said:

I hope he learns from this and plays smarter in the future. I know that as a smaller forward it helps to be aggressive but there's obviously a line that shouldn't be crossed. Bateman looked like he could fall foul of letting his aggression get the best of him when he was the same age. A few years later and he's likely to be a captaincy candidate next season.

He's a very talented player is Smithies, but no Wigan fan is too worried about him not being available for selection for a few weeks. We've got plenty of competition for places in his position so if he continues to fall foul of the disciplinary committee he could lose his place and I'm sure he's aware of that.

This could have been said about Matty Lees a few years ago. He had a spell of yellow and red cards and disciplinary appearances but seems to have channelled his aggression correctly now. Smithies will be the same. It’s a bit of a learning curve.   

24 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

This could have been said about Matty Lees a few years ago. He had a spell of yellow and red cards and disciplinary appearances but seems to have channelled his aggression correctly now. Smithies will be the same. It’s a bit of a learning curve.   

nah he just gets away with it more, he's also quite easily rattled if you get into him

Archived