Disciplinary

42 minutes ago, RP London said:

Tend to agree with this. Not sure how you can stop it but this "backing into the tackle" seems to be a new tactic which I dont quite understand.. I always went by the idea of break through the tackle to get your arms free then you are passing behind the tacklers if you get an offload away, if not you are finding your front as a "dominant" player and get a quicker play the ball.. 

It certainly correlated with the rise of the crusher tackle.. 

The reason we are more keen on it as well is due to our understanding of how dangerous it is.. before hand it would happen by accident but people just got a "sore neck".. now we understand there is more to it than that, but that also has correlated with the "backing into the tackle" tactic.. 

More than one reason for its rise rather than us just "getting softer".. as Padge says there are also more ways to fix it and maybe coaches looking at how the attacker can keep himself safe too would be a good idea.

Just a thought, why not call held as soon as the attacker turns his back and tries to make progress in the direction of the attack, knowing coaches though they will start to tell players to do it to get a quick play the ball. There really does need to be a serious look at this tactic, I have been going on about this for a couple of seasons.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crusher tackles are dangerous and need to be outlawed ... but , what we are seeing now in the NRL in particular is a curious mix . They’re are tackles which are reckless and rightly pulled up . But there’s also purely accidental or minimal instances of pressure on the neck which are sometimes due to the actions of the ball carrier , completely unintentional or unavoidable . I have a real issue with players getting banned for these . Paul Vaughan for instance got 2 games for virtually nothing . I’m not sure how you avoid a lot of these , and the zero tolerance policy is just lacking in empathy to the game . Then there’s the awful sight of players staying down holding they’re neck or head knowing the VR will work back and find them a penalty . It’s happening and it stinks . Everyone is spooked by crushers and high shots so as ever the system is being worked by players . It’s ok clamping down but there’s also got to be common sense , an appreciation of the game and an awareness from the VR in particular of how rules can be abused to gain an advantage . 

54 minutes ago, Padge said:

Just a thought, why not call held as soon as the attacker turns his back and tries to make progress in the direction of the attack, knowing coaches though they will start to tell players to do it to get a quick play the ball. There really does need to be a serious look at this tactic, I have been going on about this for a couple of seasons.

that could work... held and surrender which give the defence more time to "hold them down" may then get rid of the "get a quick play the ball" tactic.

28 minutes ago, RP London said:

that could work... held and surrender which give the defence more time to "hold them down" may then get rid of the "get a quick play the ball" tactic.

That seems sound to me, hadn't thought about adding surrender to the call.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• 7 months later...

Can’t remember clearly but I think this was the 2nd late hit by Tetevano during the game, which imo was just the same level.  Red card for the 2nd offence.

Tom Lineham?  Elbow.  Matty Gee incident another late hit causing ‘Dangerous Contact’.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/leeds-rhinos-zane-tetevano-suspension-20373736

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/sport/19228089.warrington-wolves-winger-tom-lineham-handed-three-game-ban/

https://www.rugby-league.com/championship__league_1/article/57885/disciplinary--match-review-panel

36 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Tetevano’s appealing it? Madness. 

Having looked at his 1st tackle again at 7mins 45 secs, there is very little in it.  Maybe 3-400mm. Tetevano has his head down for the 1st but has clear vision for the 2nd.  Fages stayed down longer for the 2nd.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Having looked at his 1st tackle again at 7mins 45 secs, there is very little in it.  Maybe 3-400mm. Tetevano has his head down for the 1st but has clear vision for the 2nd.  Fages stayed down longer for the 2nd.

I think the disciplinary is to do with the red card tackle, no?

25 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I think the disciplinary is to do with the red card tackle, no?

They looked at both but only issued a charge on the second.

The embarrassing reaction of some Leeds fans to the card and charge suggests to me they don't realise that the best way to use those precious RFL-in-your-pocket-credits on disciplinary matters is just before semis, play off games and finals rather than wasting them mid season.

2 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Can’t remember clearly but I think this was the 2nd late hit by Tetevano during the game, which imo was just the same level.  Red card for the 2nd offence.

Tom Lineham?  Elbow.  Matty Gee incident another late hit causing ‘Dangerous Contact’.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/leeds-rhinos-zane-tetevano-suspension-20373736

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/sport/19228089.warrington-wolves-winger-tom-lineham-handed-three-game-ban/

https://www.rugby-league.com/championship__league_1/article/57885/disciplinary--match-review-panel

'elbow' is a bit frivalous in that description, he bumped someone in the back that stepped in to obstruct him.

Still though, thats what makes him a character

On 02/09/2020 at 09:58, Padge said:

Agreed on all counts and probably understandably coaches would use it to get a quick play

10 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

'elbow' is a bit frivalous in that description, he bumped someone in the back that stepped in to obstruct him.

Still though, thats what makes him a character

‘Strikes with elbow/forearm’.  What the report says mate.  Didn’t see it so trust your version is correct.

Not surprised no further action given against Adam Sidlow and a subsequent yellow card for a tackle on Owen Trout, it was one of those where the attacker was the cause of a high contact by falling into the tackle when the defender is already commited and to late to pull out.

But, those are the rules we operate by over here, I watch most of the NRL games and can confidently say that a tackle such as this would not have been penalised never mind the player being dismissed for 10 mins.

Archived