NRL to cut costs by $80 million per year

Copa

That's because he's in bed with news Ltd...previously the league was planning on doing their own production of games and selling to the highest bidder. Good old Pete has tied us up with news for another 7 years....that's why every journo is praising him as the saviour.

Without league Foxtel in Australia was a dead duck with streaming becoming the norm.

Have noticed a few articles and key people hailing V'landys as 2nd coming of John Quayle etc and News Ltd having the rights definitely explain a lot of that media sentiment. But in saying that V'landy's seems to be a step up from previous administrators. How 80 million per year was being wasted on utter BS like teams of accounts, assistant bunker refs, grants to clubs to pay for squads of assistant coaches... is beyond me. As always my stance on this issue is the NZ market has contributed annual profits to the NRL bottom line every year sine the NRL was formed. The grassroots game in NZ always struggles as niche sport played in poorer areas of the country... still waiting for the NRL to do the right thing by the NZ market and grassroots game that has contributed to the NRL's profits for decades and seen little in return other than the NZ Warriors.

16 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Have noticed a few articles and key people hailing V'landys as 2nd coming of John Quayle etc and News Ltd having the rights definitely explain a lot of that media sentiment. But in saying that V'landy's seems to be a step up from previous administrators. How 80 million per year was being wasted on utter BS like teams of accounts, assistant bunker refs, grants to clubs to pay for squads of assistant coaches... is beyond me. As always my stance on this issue is the NZ market has contributed annual profits to the NRL bottom line every year sine the NRL was formed. The grassroots game in NZ always struggles as niche sport played in poorer areas of the country... still waiting for the NRL to do the right thing by the NZ market and grassroots game that has contributed to the NRL's profits for decades and seen little in return other than the NZ Warriors.

As you say, you`ve consistently made the point that NZ League deserves a greater share of the NRL`s income. Hitherto, I`ve been sceptical about the wisdom of diverting resources to areas where RU remains the default option in schools.

The poster, "Taniwha Warriors" has claimed that in Auckland the clubs are largely responsible for League being in so few schools, and cites Richmond as a shining exception. I`m not convinced by this, I think RU interests are more responsible for excluding RL, but he`s a lot closer than I am.

Maybe this is the way forward. The NRL will directly fund NZ clubs` efforts to establish RL in their local schools. I suspect this will meet with opposition outside the NRL`s power to address, but if the funding were contingent on results, it would be down to the local Leagues and clubs to find solutions through quasi-political activity.

In a generation, if an NRL-funded programme saw League played in as many NZ schools as Union, that would be money well-spent. On the other hand, if the NRL invested in NZ and it had no effect on the schools situation, nothing would change long-term and the money would have been wasted.

4 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

As you say, you`ve consistently made the point that NZ League deserves a greater share of the NRL`s income. Hitherto, I`ve been sceptical about the wisdom of diverting resources to areas where RU remains the default option in schools.

The poster, "Taniwha Warriors" has claimed that in Auckland the clubs are largely responsible for League being in so few schools, and cites Richmond as a shining exception. I`m not convinced by this, I think RU interests are more responsible for excluding RL, but he`s a lot closer than I am.

Maybe this is the way forward. The NRL will directly fund NZ clubs` efforts to establish RL in their local schools. I suspect this will meet with opposition outside the NRL`s power to address, but if the funding were contingent on results, it would be down to the local Leagues and clubs to find solutions through quasi-political activity.

In a generation, if an NRL-funded programme saw League played in as many NZ schools as Union, that would be money well-spent. On the other hand, if the NRL invested in NZ and it had no effect on the schools situation, nothing would change long-term and the money would have been wasted.

I'm not sure it is necessarily outside the NRL's power to address. Are they not doing similar in some of the Pacific islands now?

44 minutes ago, Scubby said:

WTF was Todd Greenberg spending all this cash on? It said they were blowing $500,000 a day on HQ operations before Covid 😕 

Crazy isn’t it!?

The new CEO, Andrew Abdo, was announced today and he’s a South African accountant who has lived in Australia since 2012 and has worked in the NRL for a few years.

He’s promised to get the budgets under control.

52 minutes ago, Copa said:

Crazy isn’t it!?

The new CEO, Andrew Abdo, was announced today and he’s a South African accountant who has lived in Australia since 2012 and has worked in the NRL for a few years.

You can rely on an accountant to sort it out 😃

On 03/09/2020 at 15:39, unapologetic pedant said:

NRL should in my opinion set aside 10% of NZ TV rights profits as a grant to assist grassroots game in NZ, they could even set up there own NZ charitable foundation and get other people to donate to the cause of helping grassroots rugby league in NZ be that getting the game played in more schools or training coaches, refs,  administrators etc.

Taniwha Warriors has a good point, generally grassroots clubs in NZ either care more about having jr teams playing for there club in local age grade club competitions than they do about forming a relationship with the local schools or just dont have club members avaliable, willing and capable to volunteer there time to approach local schools with a proposal acceptable to schools that meets well run standards required by schools sports. 

On 03/09/2020 at 10:24, Copa said:

Crazy isn’t it!?

Is he selling his marble desk and replacing it with one from Ikea?

1 hour ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

NRL should in my opinion set aside 10% of NZ TV rights profits as a grant to assist grassroots game in NZ, they could even set up there own NZ charitable foundation and get other people to donate to the cause of helping grassroots rugby league in NZ be that getting the game played in more schools or training coaches, refs,  administrators etc.

Taniwha Warriors has a good point, generally grassroots clubs in NZ either care more about having jr teams playing for there club in local age grade club competitions than they do about forming a relationship with the local schools or just dont have club members avaliable, willing and capable to volunteer there time to approach local schools with a proposal acceptable to schools that meets well run standards required by schools sports. 

This! It is nuts how many NZ born players are in the NRL now. I would suspect it could be as high as a 30% if you include players like Ponga etc. with NZ parentage. You could almost set up an NRL super centre of excellence funded by all the clubs and create a draft system for Kiwi teens to filter into clubs.

14 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Or instead of being leeches the NZRL and grassroots in NZ could get of their ###### and do something for themselves...

Honestly the entitlement is astonishing, and tone deaf considering that the NRL has only got the money because of a massive cost cutting spree.

On 03/09/2020 at 19:24, Copa said:

Crazy isn’t it!?

Surprise, surprise..........if you recall before all this Covid19 hit earlier in the year, good old Pete V and Abdo went to the USA to visit Lachlan Murdoch whilst the CEO was at the World Club Challenge, just the two of them. Next thing they are back in Australia and Greenberg's leadership is suddenly under question. The agenda was underway ie. to remove News Corps obstacles to what they want, Greenberg, having already removed Grant and Smith.

Low and behold Covid hits and News get everything they want, the TV rights for not 3 or 5 years but 7!!! Greenberg gone, News media singing from the mountain how Pete V is the saviour of the game and now Abdo is the CEO. An accountant from Sth Africa.

Where are all the hard hitting journos now? You know the one's who drove the Welsh banker out of RL because he didn't know the lay of the land.

2 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

Or instead of being leeches the NZRL and grassroots in NZ could get of their ###### and do something for themselves...

Honestly the entitlement is astonishing, and tone deaf considering that the NRL has only got the money because of a massive cost cutting spree.

I don't know why you get so irate about the suggestion.

New Zealand produces a healthy income for the NRL (circa $20m a year), an awful lot of players, and commercial opportunities for Australian clubs. Money the NRL generates goes towards development initiatives across Australia, it's really not a lot to ask that a small amount of money is invested into similar activities in New Zealand.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Agreed, it's short sighted not to support NZ, put money in and they will help grow the game and reap the benefits. People need to realise RL is not a big game in other countries as it is in Australia, so Australia needs to help for the best interests of the game. A strong NZ is great for Australia.

7 hours ago, rlno1 said:

Surprise, surprise..........if you recall before all this Covid19 hit earlier in the year, good old Pete V and Abdo went to the USA to visit Lachlan Murdoch whilst the CEO was at the World Club Challenge, just the two of them. Next thing they are back in Australia and Greenberg's leadership is suddenly under question. The agenda was underway ie. to remove News Corps obstacles to what they want, Greenberg, having already removed Grant and Smith.

Low and behold Covid hits and News get everything they want, the TV rights for not 3 or 5 years but 7!!! Greenberg gone, News media singing from the mountain how Pete V is the saviour of the game and now Abdo is the CEO. An accountant from Sth Africa.

Where are all the hard hitting journos now? You know the one's who drove the Welsh banker out of RL because he didn't know the lay of the land.

That may all be true but are you suggesting it was the wrong move to make?

Yes....I would like the game to be it's own master and free to deal with whoever is in it's best interests not be manipulated to come under the thumb of news corp.

I believe we would have had the same outcome even if covid didn't hit....that is leaders who were steering the ship away from news replaced by pete v and abdo.

Admittedly covid stuffed things up and allowed news to push for a seven year deal. A 3 year deal would have sufficed and then reassess the landscape.

The AFL extended until 2022...and they are held up as the best sports managers....now why didn't they do a seven year deal.

1 hour ago, rlno1 said:

Admittedly covid stuffed things up and allowed news to push for a seven year deal. A 3 year deal would have sufficed and then reassess the landscape.

The AFL extended until 2022...and they are held up as the best sports managers....now why didn't they do a seven year deal.

With reports that Australian sporting tv rights have reached their peak (whether that’s true or not), particularly with a number of sports looking at reductions (A league, union) then it could be a wise move locking in 7 years.

Of more importance was to separate out the international rights so they can be sold and given their rightful place. Do you know if this happened? 

Having watched the recent BBC documentary series on Murdoch and his overarching power within the empire (frightening really), I’m of the opinion that it’s better to be in the camp p!ssing out rather than outside p!ssing in

10 hours ago, rlno1 said:

Fox Sports could easily be vulnerable to going out of business. I will be amazed if SL get much more than half the money they got from Sky last time. The 3-6 months with no sport and no subscriptions will hit pay TV networks for years. I would love to know how many of those subscribers who suspended their accounts actually came back. 

The game at least has security in Australia now. SL is on the edge of a cliff at the moment.

18 hours ago, DoubleD said:

With reports that Australian sporting tv rights have reached their peak (whether that’s true or not), particularly with a number of sports looking at reductions (A league, union) then it could be a wise move locking in 7 years.

Of more importance was to separate out the international rights so they can be sold and given their rightful place. Do you know if this happened? 

Having watched the recent BBC documentary series on Murdoch and his overarching power within the empire (frightening really), I’m of the opinion that it’s better to be in the camp p!ssing out rather than outside p!ssing in

You have a fair point re Murdoch...he did slag league off for years thus bringing huge pressure on the games leaders that ultimately led to their downfall. So it would appear league will always be owned by news Ltd and never free to do as it wants.

Originally when the sl war started news Ltd went to the arl saying we will own the game but we want you to administrator it.....well it took 25 years and that seems where we are at today.

17 hours ago, Scubby said:

Fox Sports could easily be vulnerable to going out of business. I will be amazed if SL get much more than half the money they got from Sky last time. The 3-6 months with no sport and no subscriptions will hit pay TV networks for years. I would love to know how many of those subscribers who suspended their accounts actually came back. 

The game at least has security in Australia now. SL is on the edge of a cliff at the moment.

So if sport was so vulnerable why did the AFL do only a deal until 2022?

They aren't idiots and know the lay of the land...but they can't be manipulated like league

On 05/09/2020 at 15:17, nadera78 said:

I don't know why you get so irate about the suggestion.

New Zealand produces a healthy income for the NRL (circa $20m a year), an awful lot of players, and commercial opportunities for Australian clubs. Money the NRL generates goes towards development initiatives across Australia, it's really not a lot to ask that a small amount of money is invested into similar activities in New Zealand.

Because they do nothing to earn it!

The NRL (and if we are frank RU) produces all their talent and allows the Warriors to take part in the NRL at their own risk.

In other words the NRL along with the Warriors have basically been the only thing that has stopped RL in NZ from falling into total obscurity while the NZRL themselves have done nothing to better themselves for decades now, yet now that the NRL is seeing some kind of return for their trouble people have the gall to demand no strings attached money from the NRL for taking the privilege of doing their job for them. Well no, the NRL and Warriors took all the risk, they should get all the reward, and if you want the same for yourself then get off your ###### and start building something for yourself.

Now if you want to work together then I'm open to it, but that means you've got to sacrifice some control to the NRL, and historically they haven't been willing to do that.

On 05/09/2020 at 15:58, rlno1 said:

Agreed, it's short sighted not to support NZ, put money in and they will help grow the game and reap the benefits. People need to realise RL is not a big game in other countries as it is in Australia, so Australia needs to help for the best interests of the game. A strong NZ is great for Australia.

It's happened before and the money has disappeared down a bottomless pit.

Besides they are dependant on the NRL as it is, throwing money at them would only make that worse, and that's not in anybodies interest. They're in a hole they can only get themselves out of and the way to do it is to start building income streams that are as independent of influence from the NRL as much as possible.

Archived