Rugby League History Resources for Teachers

Futtocks

27 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Shame they didn’t have this available in my high school in Cheshire in the 90s. Our PE teacher flat out refused to acknowledge there was any other rugby code than his beloved Twickers one.

8 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Shame they didn’t have this available in my high school in Cheshire in the 90s. Our PE teacher flat out refused to acknowledge there was any other rugby code than his beloved Twickers one.

Was that north or south of the Mersey? 

1 hour ago, Cheshire Setter said:

You even got this in Hull and surrounding area. I've met people who went to the private schools in the area and they only played rugby union. 

17 hours ago, Eddie said:

Was that north or south of the Mersey? 

South. Shouldn't make a difference though. The original home of the club at Wilderspool was south of the Mersey and there were plenty of fans in what was traditionally the 'old' Cheshire, and there are still plenty of fans there.

I think it's more to do with bigotry than geography.

36 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

South. Shouldn't make a difference though. The original home of the club at Wilderspool was south of the Mersey and there were plenty of fans in what was traditionally the 'old' Cheshire, and there are still plenty of fans there.

Christ, I still haven't fully woken up yet, I just read that as bigomy not bigotry, I found myself thinking, "what the hell has bigomy gotta do with which rugby you play?" 🤔

1 hour ago, Cheshire Setter said:

How far does Wire’s influence extend into Cheshire, do you get many fans from places like Northwich or even Chester?

45 minutes ago, Eddie said:

How far does Wire’s influence extend into Cheshire, do you get many fans from places like Northwich or even Chester?

To be honest I'm not sure these days, but I guess it would be a bit less than in the past. I remember in the 90s, I had a girlfriend from Northwich and there were quite a few fans down that way, and also in Crewe and Chester. There were quite a few fans who made their way up from Wales to watch the ex-union stars too.

As for now, I think due to the game having a much lower national profile, there are less kids growing up aware of RL in general. It's mostly football. Having said that I live in South Cheshire these days and I have seen the odd Wire shirt when I go jogging along the Shropshire Union canal, though they are probably Warringtonians who have moved here for the quiet life. The weekly RL papers are always in the local supermarket though, so there must be some sort of demand for it!

9 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

To be honest I'm not sure these days, but I guess it would be a bit less than in the past. I remember in the 90s, I had a girlfriend from Northwich and there were quite a few fans down that way, and also in Crewe and Chester. There were quite a few fans who made their way up from Wales to watch the ex-union stars too.

As for now, I think due to the game having a much lower national profile, there are less kids growing up aware of RL in general. It's mostly football. Having said that I live in South Cheshire these days and I have seen the odd Wire shirt when I go jogging along the Shropshire Union canal, though they are probably Warringtonians who have moved here for the quiet life. The weekly RL papers are always in the local supermarket though, so there must be some sort of demand for it!

I think Chester Gladiators we’re doing some good stuff a few years back, they had a couple of open age teams and a few youth teams at different age levels too. Fairly sure there was a Crewe team as well. I’d have thought somewhere like Northwich would be a good place for a RL team. 

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I think Chester Gladiators we’re doing some good stuff a few years back, they had a couple of open age teams and a few youth teams at different age levels too. Fairly sure there was a Crewe team as well. I’d have thought somewhere like Northwich would be a good place for a RL team. 

Yes the conference was really encouraging, and Warrington had some sort of link-up with Chester and Crewe Wolves I think. Shame it's all gone south (pardon the pun).

Archived