Luther Burrell...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems like he's really tried hard, but it hasn't worked out for more than one reason. Good luck to him.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Says nothing bad about either club or sport from reading what he's said. He came back to TGG, he didn't make it as a regular starter so is returning to a sport probably better suited for him. Sure that at whatever club he goes to he'll be approached by other players about his experience in TGG and may well be a useful recruiting tool (albeit unwittingly). He's admitted his failure to reach the level he wanted so made his choice and hope he flourishes in the other code in his last few years there.

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

6 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I really do hate those sort of journos. None of what Burrell said is relevant to that

‘Set free to return to the sport he loves’

’his contract was terminated’

’he breaks his silence’

And then you read the article and it just says it was mutually agreed and he’s a Warrington fan and thanks the club. Very impartial reporting by a RU hack.

30 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

‘Set free to return to the sport he loves’

’his contract was terminated’

’he breaks his silence’

And then you read the article and it just says it was mutually agreed and he’s a Warrington fan and thanks the club. Very impartial reporting by a RU hack.

Industry standard.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Damien said:

The Union spin holds no bounds.

burrell has been allowed to return to an inferior code of rugby after failing to make it in the superior code 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

@lutherburrell

I would like to thank everybody at @WarringtonRLFC for the opportunity to play some @SuperLeague To the fans a small Thankyou for supporting me and welcoming me into the army. I go back to being a fan and supporting from a distance. Good luck men #wire

Considerably more classy than the spin put on his departure by the hack who penned the article linked above.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I find this all rather odd. I keep hearing from supposed experts in our game that “it’s a simple game” is rugby league. And all you need to do is “run hard” and “defend your line”

If that’s the case, why do so few players who have played the other code of rugby make the transition, let alone athletes from other sports like gridiron? 

Best wishes to Luther for the future. He gave it a good go and I hope he finds a spot in rugby union.

As for Man of Kent, the season gets worse and worse. Toronto not in the league, Burrell gone and  Blake Austin playing great rugby. What can he obsess about next?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

11 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I find this all rather odd. I keep hearing from supposed experts in our game that “it’s a simple game” is rugby league. And all you need to do is “run hard” and “defend your line”

If that’s the case, why do so few players who have played the other code of rugby make the transition, let alone athletes from other sports like gridiron? 

i didn't think he was doing too bad this year off the bench, in limited bursts.

we gave him a few games last year, jesus you could see his inexperience, he gave so many penalties away in the ruck, rolling off into the play the ball, it was awkward to watch,  like i say, he seemed not so bad this season, though, didn't do anything spectacular

On 13/09/2020 at 12:42, DavidM said:

From the tiny bit of him I saw he looked way out of his depth . Didn’t look especially well conditioned and contributed virtually nothing . It was a good story for a little while but nothing more in the end 

Agree, reminded me of that bloke who signed for Wigan.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

7 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Best wishes to Luther for the future. He gave it a good go and I hope he finds a spot in rugby union.

As for Man of Kent, the season gets worse and worse. Toronto not in the league, Burrell gone and  Blake Austin playing great rugby. What can he obsess about next?

20k crowd for the Challenge Cup final is not far away (assuming Covid-19 infection rates remain stable)

2 hours ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Agree, reminded me of that bloke who signed for Wigan.

He reminded me of Andy Powell too and like Powell just looked so off the pace. I have no doubt these guys are fit in their own right in the gym but the demands of Rugby League are far different. 

On 14/09/2020 at 00:00, DoubleD said:

To be fair, it was said by most that he hadn't been very good at Union either for many years when he left. 

4 hours ago, Fruit&Nutt said:

To be fair, it was said by most that he hadn't been very good at Union either for many years when he left. 

99 to go?

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

From the original Burrell thread

There is a reason that Saints haven't renewed his contract and no other RU club has come in for him. His form has declined alarmingly since Eddie Jones subbed him in a test match after just 25 minutes back in 2016. It was a full test against Australia in Brisbane on the summer tour in 2016. He wasn't playing well but the humiliation really knocked his confidence and he's not been the same since. 

As a player he is fairly process driven, that is to say that he is not an instinctive type of player. He tends to run to patterns that he's practiced. Although quite a big centre, he doesn't tend to carry well in heavy traffic and he's not a destructive tackler either. His pace and distribution are ok but not exceptional. 

To be honest, it's not really caused much concern that he'll start a trend although I'll be curious to see how he gets on. He's a nice lad but just too nice I think to really be a top player. I don't think he'll let anyone down but I don't expect him to make a huge impression either.

He is a confidence player though so he may get that back and surprise me. Good luck to him but as others have already said, he probably wouldn't be on the first page of names I'd have tried to recruit from RU.

2 minutes ago, Fruit&Nutt said:

and he's not a destructive tackler either.

Funnily enough, the only promising thing I saw during his few games (along with his support play) was his decent one-on-one tackling. Some good ball and all hits. Positioning wasn’t great for obvious reasons, and he didn’t look like breaking the line too often.

32 minutes ago, Damien said:

Interesting that you quote another RU troll formerly of these parts, JCXV - I'll add that bit as you deleted it. Is this one of your previous aliases?

Creating a new account on a discussion board just so you can quote something you yourself had said 18 months ago to prove that you were right is not at all sad, it is a rea...

Oh, wait a minute.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived