Luther Burrell...

7 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Announcement due on Burrell tomorrow apparently. TBH I'm not surprised it didn't work out. Think it was more a case of one of our owners being a Burrell fanboy from his peak union days. Not sure what it will have cost us to let him go, but it's important to free up the cap space that he would have taken in his 3rd year when the dispensation would be removed.

Anyway, good luck to him as he's a lovely guy, and here's hoping that Inglis will stick to his word and join us for Christmas dinner at the HJ and stick around until at least October.

Yeah you definitely got the sense that he didn't fit in with the coaches plan at all.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Yeah you definitely got the sense that he didn't fit in with the coaches plan at all.

Price does seem rather stubborn on this. 

As for Burrell, you win some you lose some, he had good Rugby pedigree and got some headlines, but he couldn't get into a decent squad. I do wonder why he wasn't loaned to be playing regularly. 

He didn't take up cap space, and I hope this doesn't put us off signing Union players in future. We had plenty of successes back in the 90s from there, but there were plenty failures too, Burrell now fits into the latter category. It would be nice if he could get a gig playing as it is a shame to see someone sidelined. 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

As for Burrell, you win some you lose some, he had good Rugby pedigree and got some headlines, but he couldn't get into a decent squad. I do wonder why he wasn't loaned to be playing regularly. 

He didn't take up cap space, and I hope this doesn't put us off signing Union players in future. We had plenty of successes back in the 90s from there, but there were plenty failures too, Burrell now fits into the latter category. It would be nice if he could get a gig playing as it is a shame to see someone sidelined. 

Yeah its a weird one I suppose with the coach clearly having no intention of playing him. I don't know how it worked with union players back in the day but did coaches have much of a say or was a lot of it chairmen saying "we've got a new player so play him"?

I agree with loaning, that definitely would have made sense just from the game time perspective. It also could have given him the opportunity to show his talent to both the Warrington coaches and everyone else. Right now we're saying its not worked based on a coach that never wanted him in the first place not picking him to play. It stinks of being a bit mismanaged all round to be honest. 

I think in future there has to be more communication between the people involved in signing players because ultimately if the coach doesn't want you you're out (unless you outlast them and have a renaissance under a new boss).

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Does it matter as long as a club has 17 available for match day, IT IS ALL ABOUT SCREENING GAMES FOR SKY. 

Anyway what is the difference in a team being forced to stand player's down, and Saints last season on two occasions playing a very weakened team v London.

Or what would happen if you simply had 6 players injured/banned/combination... thats what your squad is there for.. 

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Maybe no one wanted him? Or, (and I haven't checked) his full value would count on the loaning club's cap? 

1 minute ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Maybe no one wanted him? Or, (and I haven't checked) his full value would count on the loaning club's cap? 

or his best bet was to drop a league to gain playing time etc but, of course, there isnt one to drop to at the moment. 

30 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Indeed, I think it would have to have been lower division, and I also don't know how that affects the cap.

If there’s exemptions for RU players, it’s something that all clubs should be looking into. Maybe not at Burrell’s category of player of 30+ and having had injury problems but I’m sure there’s the odd diamond available there. I’m not sure how Union works but if there’s talented players being released from Academies then that’s the age group I’d be looking into, especially given the salary cap allowances you get. 

I think Burrell’s league career is probably over and I think he can probably point to Covid being a factor in that. With the reserve grade and lower leagues cancelled, the opportunity to play games has been significantly reduced. 

40 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

If there’s exemptions for RU players, it’s something that all clubs should be looking into. Maybe not at Burrell’s category of player of 30+ and having had injury problems but I’m sure there’s the odd diamond available there. I’m not sure how Union works but if there’s talented players being released from Academies then that’s the age group I’d be looking into, especially given the salary cap allowances you get. 

I think Burrell’s league career is probably over and I think he can probably point to Covid being a factor in that. With the reserve grade and lower leagues cancelled, the opportunity to play games has been significantly reduced. 

Like Regan Grace, maybe look for players who don't fit the standard body regulations for "the game for all shapes and sizes"

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, RP London said:

Or what would happen if you simply had 6 players injured/banned/combination... thats what your squad is there for.. 

I wonder how the rest of the squad have been available because they would have been in side the Warrington bubble with the six players. But as for going ahead it should be a league policy to use your squad to fulfill fixtures for every team. Too many games are being postponed for covid protocols when every team should use their whole squad. 

6 hours ago, Dave T said:

Indeed, I think it would have to have been lower division, and I also don't know how that affects the cap.

Just had a quick scan of both the SL and Championship rules and it would seem that his loan or DR down the pyramid would work as for any other ie the Championship club add anything they pay for his services to their cap spend and in the case of a loan, the SL club take his liability off their cap for the duration.

What happens if he was loaned to another SL club is less clear. Although SC allowances/dispensations only apply to the parent club, the new talent allowance follows the player in a move to another club. So, since loans are treated as 'permanent' transfers this may apply here? If not, the loanee club could count him as one of their marquees if they have space.

He comes across well in all interviews and came to the game with a passion for making it work. Also a great bloke generally. Saw him when he came on against Broncos last year and also rooted for him bizarrely though I wanted Wire themselves to fall obviously. Just looked too slow and 'hippy' for RL... also too heavy

Good on him for giving it a go though

As Northampton fan I'd like to see him back at the Gardens. 

On 03/09/2020 at 08:52, dkw said:

Ah, the Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Mick & Tich cover band then....

Salisbury's finest!

There was an article in the Western Mail this week about a Wales Sevens player working as a labourer.   The worldwide sevens competition hasn't run this season because of Covid and the WRU has ditched its entire squad.

If RL was in a better shape, there would be some good young players on offer that wouldn't count against the salary cap.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

31 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

There was an article in the Western Mail this week about a Wales Sevens player working as a labourer.   The worldwide sevens competition hasn't run this season because of Covid and the WRU has ditched its entire squad.

If RL was in a better shape, there would be some good young players on offer that wouldn't count against the salary cap.

I agree. But, not having followed that competition, are Wales currently any good at RU Sevens?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I agree. But, not having followed that competition, are Wales currently any good at RU Sevens?

15th apparently ... behind Kenya and Spain!

😄😄

In fairness, they operate the team at semi-junior level before the players transfer to one of the regions or go semi-pro.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

I really do hate those sort of journos. None of what Burrell said is relevant to that

Archived