Re admission of fans in stadiums.

45 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Get yourself to non-league football. I've been to a few games now and it all feels pretty normal to be honest.

What team do you watch? I’ve got one eye on Wroxham v Gorleston in the cup next weekend - massive. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Cambridge United will have 2,500 in for their League 2 game on Saturday week, around 31 per cent of their 8,127 capacity (around of half of which is terracing).

That looks to be a decent rule of thumb for RL clubs.

Not that many less than they usually get tbf. 

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

What team do you watch? I’ve got one eye on Wroxham v Gorleston in the cup next weekend - massive. 

Atherton Collieries in Northern Premier (who ironically enough have just had some staff test positive for Covid and had to call off the last two friendlies...!)

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

L'Equipe TV to cover the game defered to 8.30pm on the Saturday. People here on their tethers waiting for the go-ahead from the authorities. Wigan needed to know today! Great news though.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

If there’s a second wave and the government react as they did with the last one there won’t be fans in grounds until next summer at the earliest. It’s a massive shame, I’m chomping at the bit to watch some live sport and I’m sure millions of others are too. 

There's one here that has given up on mixing with crowds of any description. Being in my eighties, I cannot compare a game of rugby to a painful death

5 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Cambridge United will have 2,500 in for their League 2 game on Saturday week, around 31 per cent of their 8,127 capacity (around half of which is terracing).

That looks to be a decent rule of thumb for RL clubs.

More complicated than that. They put season tickets on sale last week, and asked fans to indicate who they were in a social bubble with. If you're a family of 4, you can all sit together. If you go the game all by yourself with a flask of weak lemon drink, that reduces the capacity because they have to leave empty seats around you. They worked out the capacity of the stands based on that information.

6 hours ago, Dave T said:

Yeah, I think this is where my head is at. But even if there was a plan for a November/December comp the reality is things could get much worse rather than better.

I'm cool with them cancelling, I just wonder of the merits when furlough ends next month, and we could have potentially staged money-making activity.

Players that have been on furlough since March probably will need at least a month of full contact training before full games can be played, so it's more like December really. And many teams start playing friendlies then anyway.

If there really is pent up demand for any live rugby at all, then hopefully the preseason friendlies will draw decent crowds this year - could be some cracking attendances on boxing day and new years day if the right fixtures chosen, which would raise a few quid. 

37 minutes ago, JonM said:

More complicated than that. They put season tickets on sale last week, and asked fans to indicate who they were in a social bubble with. If you're a family of 4, you can all sit together. If you go the game all by yourself with a flask of weak lemon drink, that reduces the capacity because they have to leave empty seats around you. They worked out the capacity of the stands based on that information.

Useful info. What a headfcuk having to sort that out!

19 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Players that have been on furlough since March probably will need at least a month of full contact training before full games can be played, so it's more like December really. And many teams start playing friendlies then anyway.

If there really is pent up demand for any live rugby at all, then hopefully the preseason friendlies will draw decent crowds this year - could be some cracking attendances on boxing day and new years day if the right fixtures chosen, which would raise a few quid. 

Surely those fixtures will still see heavily restricted attendances though? 

Fair point about the training elements. 

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Fair point about the training elements. 

Add in the fact that for the majority of Champ/L1 grounds much of their capacities are standing areas and restrictions are likely to be fairly drastic as well as leading to increased costs with associated stewarding. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Yes, you're right about the boxing day fixtures for example, although even in that case, 25% of capacity would still be a tidy sum for a friendly for most teams. 

Maybe by then even slightly more will be allowed if lessons have been learned elsewhere. 

It's just that as far as the calculation of when to resume goes, I've always thought that getting an early start to next year was preferable in a number of ways to trying to cram something in this year post furlough. 

On 04/09/2020 at 09:49, Leyther_Matt said:

Get yourself to non-league football. I've been to a few games now and it all feels pretty normal to be honest.

Apart from some elements of society behaving like any guidelines or procedures don't apply to them because they are entitled.

I agree though, non league clubs are doing the very best they can with limited resources and all done by volunteers.

On 04/09/2020 at 09:52, Dave T said:

What kind of size crowd do they have Matt?

Step 5-7 can have 15% of minimum capacity, so in effect 150-200 depending on level, providing they have covid risk assessments in place

Once they've successfully hosted an initial game at 15% then it rises to 30%, so 300-400.

My local team were due to play it's first game in front of fans today, with a maximum of 150, yet Kirklees have now said that there is a restriction on no more than 30 people attending events, this despite being in an area where local restrictions were lifted, no positive cases, but yet they maintain the borough wide restrictions on events, barmy!

On 04/09/2020 at 10:12, gingerjon said:

Anecdotal but looking at the attendances for this season's Extra Preliminary Round (held this week on Monday-Wednesday) but it looks like a fair number of people are desperate for live sport. Matches that would have had a few dozen turning up have had hundreds. I think there were 300 at Rugby Town where my Dad went - and their average gate last season was about 150, less for the cups.

Campion V Albion Sports, both Bradford based, both with small or little fanbases, usually average about 60 between them, drew almost 200 for their FA Cup tie, similarly, Avro V Bootle in Oldham drew 290 including a couple of groundhoppers from Huddersfield!

59 minutes ago, meast said:

There's no rush to get fans back into RL grounds this season.

The only reason the SL games are being played is so they can fulfil their Sky commitments and not be in breach of contract and have to pay it back/not receive Sky funding.

It doesn't matter about getting fans back now.

There is a rush though. Literally every team with fixtures on the 30th of September have been reported to be trying to get the green light for fans

Archived