Re admission of fans in stadiums.

9 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Clubs will be desperate to bring in some cash, having fans in stadiums will generate income for them. 

They're more desperate to get the cash from the Sky contract.

Most clubs have already banked season ticket sales monies, and the walk ups at most clubs are minimal, the refreshments sales also, it's all about appeasing Sky right now.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that right that Sky will cover the Wigan game at Gilbert Brutus on Saturday? L'Equipe to take the feed from that plus again the CC quarter final against Salford  following Friday. I forgot that Sky cover CC games.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

1 hour ago, meast said:

Step 5-7 can have 15% of minimum capacity, so in effect 150-200 depending on level, providing they have covid risk assessments in place

Once they've successfully hosted an initial game at 15% then it rises to 30%, so 300-400.

My local team were due to play it's first game in front of fans today, with a maximum of 150, yet Kirklees have now said that there is a restriction on no more than 30 people attending events, this despite being in an area where local restrictions were lifted, no positive cases, but yet they maintain the borough wide restrictions on events, barmy!

The logic of Kirklees strikes again

55 minutes ago, meast said:

They're more desperate to get the cash from the Sky contract.

Most clubs have already banked season ticket sales monies, and the walk ups at most clubs are minimal, the refreshments sales also, it's all about appeasing Sky right now.

I don’t agree. Some have donated their season ticket money but plenty are either getting refunds or the money off next years season ticket, the sooner fans are in the less clubs will have to refund/discount. That along with other match day income will be significant. The saints v Wigan game was estimated to be worth £70,000 extra with fans. 

Obviously they are desperate for the sky money but the two aren’t linked. Having fans in the ground has no impact on the sky money. 

There's an Onion game on C5 right now with socially distanced fans. Is that one of the trial events?

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

There's an Onion game on C5 right now with socially distanced fans. Is that one of the trial events?

Yeah, 3,500 allowed in via a ballot, I believe. They must scan a QR code on the seat in front of them with their smart phone to order beer and it gets brought to their seat. 

58 minutes ago, meast said:

There's no rush to get fans back into RL grounds this season.

The only reason the SL games are being played is so they can fulfil their Sky commitments and not be in breach of contract and have to pay it back/not receive Sky funding.

It doesn't matter about getting fans back now.

Agreed.  And I'm guessing that most season ticket holders are waiving their fees in support so, assuming only they are allowed in then there is no extra income anyway.

Significant groupings of people will risk spikes. Is it a good idea to risk it?  I would add that what is needed is a good close season and leave space for being fresh for next season and the WC.  We ought to limit next season to 22 rounds and organize it now.

On 04/09/2020 at 10:08, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Considering around half of the Championship clubs are in areas currently under increased restrictions there wouldn't be many games with crowds anyway, even with the limited numbers imposed elsewhere.

Of course for some clubs this means that they will actually have to start counting how many fans are actually there. This could be quite a novelty at certain grounds.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, audois said:

Is that right that Sky will cover the Wigan game at Gilbert Brutus on Saturday? L'Equipe to take the feed from that plus again the CC quarter final against Salford  following Friday. I forgot that Sky cover CC games.

I don't know who is doing the on-site, camera technical work, Gordon, but, yes, both those Dragons' games are live on Sky.

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

Agreed.  And I'm guessing that most season ticket holders are waiving their fees in support so, assuming only they are allowed in then there is no extra income anyway.

Significant groupings of people will risk spikes. Is it a good idea to risk it?  I would add that what is needed is a good close season and leave space for being fresh for next season and the WC.  We ought to limit next season to 22 rounds and organize it now.

"Significant groupings of people will risk spikes. Is it a good idea to risk it? "

No.. No.. No.. 

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Of course for some clubs this means that they will actually have to start counting how many fans are actually there. This could be quite a novelty at certain grounds.

We have just the person in this forum to do that 

3 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

would add that what is needed is a good close season and leave space for being fresh for next season and the WC.  We ought to limit next season to 22 rounds and organize it now.

Playing only 22 rounds would come with a significant decrease in sky money, at a time when clubs are desperate for cash and possibly going bust anyway, this would send more clubs under. But at least the players would have a nice rest. 

4 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

I am assuming that some of the non-league football clubs mentioned in this thread have part seating part terracing in their ground.

So are supporters only allowed to be seated or are they also allowed to stand on the terracing.  If so how would those attending know where to stand?

That is a very good question and very good point.

12 hours ago, MADREDNIGE said:

97% at Featherstone. 

Just asking, is that 97% of ST holders or 97% of those that responded?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

8 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

I am assuming that some of the non-league football clubs mentioned in this thread have part seating part terracing in their ground.

So are supporters only allowed to be seated or are they also allowed to stand on the terracing.  If so how would those attending know where to stand?

So you think after 6 months of social distancing people don't know what 2 metres looks like ?

On 04/09/2020 at 09:21, Robthegasman said:

Granted it was to do with football but I am reading that stadiums such as Old Trafford and The Emirates are going to have a max capacity of about 25%,with strict rules regarding hand sanitisation,the wearing of face masks in crowded areas and people having to be in their seats by a certain time as well as temperatures being taken.

So what are the plans for rugby league then?

Will something very similar happen here?And will”Social Distancing”(I ###### hate that phrase)be strictly imposed where you can’t stand or sit next to your fellow pal and fan? And that of course will give clubs a huge problem as finances will get battered.

And I must be honest and say that if at any rugby league stadium or football stadium then for me that will be steps too far especially with the face masks and temperature testing and I don’t think under those circumstances I would ever want to set foot in a stadium or arena ever again. And as a footnote I would look for alternative ways to support my team.

Just picked up on this thread you started. I agree 100% with what you said in your last paragraph. Although it would be a very sad time indeed. Whenever I go to the shops now I know what I need so I'm in and out in 10 minutes max. This social distancing is ripping up the fabric of our society. However, unfortunately it is needed to prevent the spread of this horrible virus. I've thought of the prospect of not going to the rugby again and I'm not afraid to say that it brought a tear and a lump in the throat. All sport will suffer immeasurably if this situation continues. I just hope they can come with a vaccine, cure, whatever. And I too hate the "social distancing" phrase too. All the best mate. We'll all keep our fingers and toes crossed. 

9 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So you think after 6 months of social distancing people don't know what 2 metres looks like ?

I asked a sensible question and you respond in your typical way.

I raised the point because whilst we have many all seater stadia in RL there are some clubs like Cas and Wakey where at a pre Covid-19 game the majority of the crowd stand and the test trial at the Harlequins on UK news this morning the stadium looked all seater.

So are supporters at the non-league football clubs mentioned in this thread letting friends that have stood together in the same spot still stand together or can only people living in the same house stand together?  

8 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

I asked a sensible question and you respond in your typical way.

I raised the point because whilst we have many all seater stadia in RL there are some clubs like Cas and Wakey where at a pre Covid-19 game the majority of the crowd stand and the test trial at the Harlequins on UK news this morning the stadium looked all seater.

So are supporters at the non-league football clubs mentioned in this thread letting friends that have stood together in the same spot still stand together or can only people living in the same house stand together?  

I don't know how other clubs are doing it because I've only been to Hastings but they are not going round enforcing things but making requests over the tannoy that people observe social distancing when watching the game. Parts of the stand are closed off and there markings there also showing distancing. The social club is following the same rules as any pub that is open. (And all details have been taken before entering the ground for track and trace.)

So it's not particularly strict but then you're talking about a few hundred in a space than can accommodate several thousand. I would expect things to be far more rigid at elite sports - which is how professional rugby league has been defined.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived