Re admission of fans in stadiums.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They need to bring the fans back because, I for one am beginning to feel a bit disconnected from the sport. I do not live in a heartland area so Rugby League is not part and parcel of daily life, but with the championship season cancelled the last game of Rugby League I watched, in person, was St George-Illawarra v West Tigers back on 15th March.

While I have already got a ticket for the Chjallenge Cup Final and am hopeful of attending. If I cannot, and the Capital Challenge at the HAC betwee Skolars and Wigan's reserve grade does not go ahead, then it could be eleven months between Rugby League matches when I next get to Trailfinders.

There are three main areas of concern for the game with fans unable to attend

Firstly, due to the games age profile, some Season Ticket holders will have died, and not as a result of COIVD-19 either in the majority of cases

Secondly, Directly as a result of COVID-19 and its impact on Tourism, football in town centres affecting retail as sales go on line and the service sector. Many fans may be unemployed as the economy transitions and unable to afford to go as much as in the past, if at all.

Finally the habit of going has been broken, some people, probably not those who post on here, might have found other things to do with their spare time rather than paying money to go and watch Rugby League.

With the potential of a TV contract being substantially reduced the game and a declining fan base in a sport with a limited georgraphical footprint in the UK. Rugby League faces a potential extistential threat making the league structure and the return or not of the Wolfpack no more than an exercise in rearranging the deckchairs on the titanic.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

9 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

I am assuming that some of the non-league football clubs mentioned in this thread have part seating part terracing in their ground.

So are supporters only allowed to be seated or are they also allowed to stand on the terracing.  If so how would those attending know where to stand?

Can only go from the workington game yesterday but the seating area was taped off as was the covered standing behind the goal.Supporters were eventually allowed to stand in the seating area due to the incessant rain. Club took your details with the match day ticket and people tended to stay in small groups, no standing allowed in the bar area but no problems as you can drink pitchside. Absolutely brilliant to be watching live sport again to be honest 

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

I don't know how other clubs are doing it because I've only been to Hastings but they are not going round enforcing things but making requests over the tannoy that people observe social distancing when watching the game. Parts of the stand are closed off and there markings there also showing distancing. The social club is following the same rules as any pub that is open. (And all details have been taken before entering the ground for track and trace.)

So it's not particularly strict but then you're talking about a few hundred in a space than can accommodate several thousand. I would expect things to be far more rigid at elite sports - which is how professional rugby league has been defined.

Thanks for taking the time to give a detailed response unlike someone else.

The action taken at Hastings - and possibly other clubs in the UK - is different to that taken here in South Australia.   We have only had 4 deaths through Covid-19 but supporters at AFL games must be seated observing social distancing and cannot stand on the hill in front of the scoreboard.

I hope everyone attending games in the UK stays safe.

4 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Thanks for taking the time to give a detailed response unlike someone else.

The action taken at Hastings - and possibly other clubs in the UK - is different to that taken here in South Australia.   We have only had 4 deaths through Covid-19 but supporters at AFL games must be seated observing social distancing and cannot stand on the hill in front of the scoreboard.

I hope everyone attending games in the UK stays safe.

Does that also apply to lower tier games in Australia as well?

The way football is structured here means that, right now, only games that fall outside 'elite' are allowed to have crowds - and those are the ones limited by a combination of ground capacity and level of the league involved. So Hastings are what is called Step 4 (i.e. the fourth level of football below the Football League). There are no crowds allowed at Step 2 and above - and it's those (and their equivalents) that the test events such as Harlequins RU are now trialling.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Does that also apply to lower tier games in Australia as well?

The way football is structured here means that, right now, only games that fall outside 'elite' are allowed to have crowds - and those are the ones limited by a combination of ground capacity and level of the league involved. So Hastings are what is called Step 4 (i.e. the fourth level of football below the Football League). There are no crowds allowed at Step 2 and above - and it's those (and their equivalents) that the test events such as Harlequins RU are now trialling.

Sport in Australia such as the NRL, AFL, Netball and A-League (Football) have all been able to isolate teams in isolated resorts so Covid has had little impact.

Another quirk when compared to the UK is that the individual State/Territory Governments have total control over their State/Territory in deciding Covid -19 policy as the Federal Government can only give advice.  So this has led to crowds at sports events varying across States and Territories.

Examples are - In South Australia the AFL bubble which is now located at the Adelaide Oval can have up to 20,000 spectators per game.  The A-League located to New South Wales and hosted all fixtures in the A-League Final Series at BankWest Stadium culminating in 7,500 attending the Final.  As you are probably aware in the NRL many stadiums have been used with varying limits on crowds depending upon the State/Territory.

At lower level crowds are being permitted where sport has been able to resume but no to the level of their respective top tier leagues

5 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

They need to bring the fans back because, I for one am beginning to feel a bit disconnected from the sport. I do not live in a heartland area so Rugby League is not part and parcel of daily life, but with the championship season cancelled the last game of Rugby League I watched, in person, was St George-Illawarra v West Tigers back on 15th March.

While I have already got a ticket for the Chjallenge Cup Final and am hopeful of attending. If I cannot, and the Capital Challenge at the HAC betwee Skolars and Wigan's reserve grade does not go ahead, then it could be eleven months between Rugby League matches when I next get to Trailfinders.

There are three main areas of concern for the game with fans unable to attend

Firstly, due to the games age profile, some Season Ticket holders will have died, and not as a result of COIVD-19 either in the majority of cases

Secondly, Directly as a result of COVID-19 and its impact on Tourism, football in town centres affecting retail as sales go on line and the service sector. Many fans may be unemployed as the economy transitions and unable to afford to go as much as in the past, if at all.

Finally the habit of going has been broken, some people, probably not those who post on here, might have found other things to do with their spare time rather than paying money to go and watch Rugby League.

With the potential of a TV contract being substantially reduced the game and a declining fan base in a sport with a limited georgraphical footprint in the UK. Rugby League faces a potential extistential threat making the league structure and the return or not of the Wolfpack no more than an exercise in rearranging the deckchairs on the titanic.

Lets be realistic here. We will never completely eradicate this pandemic. It will always be present in some part of the world. We are fast reaching the stage whereby we are going to have to reorganise our lifestyles, socially and domestically, that is until offending groups accept the disciplines which are our lifeline.

5 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

Just picked up on this thread you started. I agree 100% with what you said in your last paragraph. Although it would be a very sad time indeed. Whenever I go to the shops now I know what I need so I'm in and out in 10 minutes max. This social distancing is ripping up the fabric of our society. However, unfortunately it is needed to prevent the spread of this horrible virus. I've thought of the prospect of not going to the rugby again and I'm not afraid to say that it brought a tear and a lump in the throat. All sport will suffer immeasurably if this situation continues. I just hope they can come with a vaccine, cure, whatever. And I too hate the "social distancing" phrase too. All the best mate. We'll all keep our fingers and toes crossed. 

I will be honest I don’t wear a mask when I go into shops.I suffer anxiety so am therefore exempt and I carry a card.So far no issues.I also am totally against this as it smacks of totalitarianism.I try and avoid major public places like the plague.My thoughts and opinions on all of this are for another thread maybe elsewhere.

And I feel very strongly about all this and yes it is destroying society. And for me going to a rugby match is all about standing,or sitting next to a mate cheering your side to hopefully victory.

And another point is how can this”Social Distancing” be implemented at grounds such as say Heywood Road(for my Swinton Lions)or at Stalybridge for your Oldham Roughyeds as both grounds don’t have stands with 3000 seats and I guess that with say a max of 25% capacity it could be an issue for both clubs?

All the best to you and stay safe.

26 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

I will be honest I don’t wear a mask when I go into shops.I suffer anxiety so am therefore exempt and I carry a card.So far no issues.I also am totally against this as it smacks of totalitarianism.I try and avoid major public places like the plague.My thoughts and opinions on all of this are for another thread maybe elsewhere.

And I feel very strongly about all this and yes it is destroying society. And for me going to a rugby match is all about standing,or sitting next to a mate cheering your side to hopefully victory.

And another point is how can this”Social Distancing” be implemented at grounds such as say Heywood Road(for my Swinton Lions)or at Stalybridge for your Oldham Roughyeds as both grounds don’t have stands with 3000 seats and I guess that with say a max of 25% capacity it could be an issue for both clubs?

Absolutely, I only go places like shops etc when it's really necessary. I do wear a mask but it doesn't really affect me as I'm normally in and out of in 5 mins maximum. I'd rather enjoy some of our lovely parks and other outdoor spaces. I do miss us all stood side by side cheering our respective teams on. I fear for sport not rugby league as it has the ability to bring people together,but even that's not allowed now. All I can say is I'm missing my rugger like mad and I hope it returns sooner rather than later. All the best mate. 

51 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

"I will be honest I don’t wear a mask when I go into shops.I suffer anxiety so am therefore exempt and I carry a card.So far no issues.I also am totally against this as it smacks of totalitarianism"

I do take your word for the anxiety issue as I  too suffer from anxiety. In my case, it's the anxiety of a being in a high risk group and catching the virus from someone who thinks that mask wearing smacks of totalitarianism so is less likely to stick to the rules. 

equally, having gas installation work confined to someone licenced to do gas work smacks of totalitarianism. Having to have a driving licence to be able to drive smacks of totalitarianism, too. 

Archived