Google

Eddie

Does anyone know why when you google search for an NRL, NFL, baseball, football team etc, their fixtures and other information (matches, news, league table, players) come up at the top of the search (as part of google) but when you search for any English rugby league team that doesn’t happen? Even tier 3 non-league football teams have it. 

I’m probably not articulating this very well but I can’t post a photo of it as I don’t know how to delete old things I’ve uploaded to create new space. However google a non-league team from tier 3 upwards (Stalybridge Celtic for example) and it comes up. 

I’d have thought this would be a good thing for English rugby league teams to have too, certainly to help with their profile online. 

Search engines like Google,  Yandex, Bing etc. use internet bots to gather relevant data from the web, to provide the best information they can to accommodate browser's requirements. If the data isn't there they can't come up with it. In other words the FA's web operations for example are bigger than the RFL, so it's up to them to up their game. Probably cost is the reason for the disparity. Google St Helen's Town FC and the fixtures are top of the page, but not The Saints. 

1 minute ago, HawkMan said:

Search engines like Google,  Yandex, Bing etc. use internet bots to gather relevant data from the web, to provide the best information they can to accommodate browser's requirements. If the data isn't there they can't come up with it. In other words the FA's web operations for example are bigger than the RFL, so it's up to them to up their game. Probably cost is the reason for the disparity. Google St Helen's Town FC and the fixtures are top of the page, but not The Saints. 

Worth noting that it only comes up with FA Cup fixtures for St Helens Town. I’ve searched for my local club, Atherton Collieries, and no fixtures have come up as we haven’t been drawn in any of the FA Cup competitions. So from that I can only deduce that it is derived from the FA website and so by the same token if RL was to appear then it would be something entirely within the RFL’s control, albeit it would obviously only show Super League fixtures at the moment. 

Sorry for this,but out of curiosity I googled Leicester Tigers RUFC and the fixtures came up. I also tried London Towers Basketball and no fixtures came up. So it's up to the relevant governing bodies. 

4 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Sorry for this,but out of curiosity I googled Leicester Tigers RUFC and the fixtures came up. I also tried London Towers Basketball and no fixtures came up. So it's up to the relevant governing bodies. 

If it is then the RFL should get on it straight away. 

43 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Probably because London Towers don’t exist anymore. They’re now London Lions. Their fixtures don’t appear to come up on Google. 

You can, as a small business, promote yourself to the top of Google. It’s a relatively pain free thing to do for someone who has a bit of a knowledge of that kind of thing, which you’d hope graduates in social media and marketing subjects would have a knowledge of, who are employed by clubs and the Super League and RFL. I’m sure it’s probably a bit more complex for a sporting league than it is for small businesses but I’d consider it a necessary thing for Super League to do. 

33 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Aren't the top search results decided by advertising/sponsorship?

It isn't the search results, but above that. During the Football season, if you Google Manchester United, for instance, there'll be a graphic with their current or most recent result and score. It might just be search engine optimisation needing some improvement on the RFL's website, as the information is there.

Google MotoGP and you'll get the results from the last race, then top stories below that, then the first search result.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 05/09/2020 at 09:54, Leyther_Matt said:

Worth noting that it only comes up with FA Cup fixtures for St Helens Town. I’ve searched for my local club, Atherton Collieries, and no fixtures have come up as we haven’t been drawn in any of the FA Cup competitions. So from that I can only deduce that it is derived from the FA website and so by the same token if RL was to appear then it would be something entirely within the RFL’s control, albeit it would obviously only show Super League fixtures at the moment. 

That's because they're rubbish Matt. A couple of mates of mine used to play for Hindsford FC, they would thrash your boys. 😄

25 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I've noticed recently (the other day and today) that Rugby League (or Rugby L) isn't always in the main links bar on the BBC Sport Homepage. I'm not sure why, as it always used to be as far as I can remember.

rl.png

Still shows up on mine. Are you accessing bbc.com or bbc.co.uk?

4 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Still shows up on mine. Are you accessing bbc.com or bbc.co.uk?

I was accessing bbc.com/sport. But that's only because I was using my Norton VPN and it automatically goes to that page, even if you type bbc.co.uk/sport (it immediately changes it).

I've turned off my VPN and tried it and now I can access the UK page and see Rugby L.

Archived