5 @ 5 plus one

Batley Bob

I think we are shaping up to have a very strong pack, with a bit of variety in the way they play and losing Lillycrop & Ward won't get us Walmsley back!

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

11 minutes ago, phildog said:

Not for me I'm afraid. I'd rather us lose a couple of players and bring in 1 better.

All well and good, but I would guess we will have a squad consisting of 23 or 24 players maybe with a couple of trialists in addition, so there's not much wiggle room to cover knocks and injuries as it is. Just where would you trim the squad down further?

Wouldn't have been upset at losing 2 of Lillycrop, Everett or Tonks  in the hope of bringing in 1 player of quality, regardless of position and of course the suggestion of Walmsley is daftly yours not mine!! I hope we haven't decided on enough inbound as I really don't think we're dramatically stronger than before YET. As I often say, are we happy just holding our own?

12 minutes ago, phildog said:

Wouldn't have been upset at losing 2 of Lillycrop, Everett or Tonks  in the hope of bringing in 1 player of quality, regardless of position and of course the suggestion of Walmsley is daftly yours not mine!! I hope we haven't decided on enough inbound as I really don't think we're dramatically stronger than before YET. As I often say, are we happy just holding our own?

Tonks you haven’t seen him play yet 😂🤦🏻‍♂️  

20 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

Tonks you haven’t seen him play yet 😂🤦🏻‍♂️  

Since Josh left us he’s played all his rugby in championship 1 with York,Keighley and Hunslet,maybe a reason for that.Always liked Tonks when he played for us and I really hope he takes his chance when it presents it’s self.

10 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

Since Josh left us he’s played all his rugby in championship 1 with York,Keighley and Hunslet,maybe a reason for that.Always liked Tonks when he played for us and I really hope he takes his chance when it presents it’s self.

Having seen him play maybe a stint in championship one was needed he’s not a world beater I don’t expect that I expect a grafter with 100% attitude and respect for the fans and club 

a certain second rower we got from you lot lacked that.. maybe with better coaching he’d of got that! I’d of liked to see JK get his hands on him... he turned around keegan a few times in his career... 

in life seems you always take one step back before going forward that’s what josh will of done lingard knows him... 

it’s a shame fev got joe summers now he’s a player who will play super league in the future 

4 hours ago, phildog said:

Where did I mention Walmsley? 🙄

If you take those 3 out and replace them with one supposed higher quality player, it wouldn't be long before you are struggling to get 17 fit players on the park, then what? I'm sure you would be on the frontline arguing what a marvelous job the club had done in recruiting quality over quantity, rather than bemoaning that we were bringing the competition in to disrepute by only naming a squad of 14 or 15 players every week due to injuries, yes, I'm sure you would!!!!

B) Just who would you sign for the amount of the combined contracts of those 3 lads, that would somehow lift us to the dizzy heights of the playoffs you expect us to reach? If the combined contracts of those 3 would enable us to sign Nathan Cleary, Mitch Moses or maybe Adam Reynolds, it might be a dilemma worth considering. The reality is, the total playing budget for the entire squad wouldn't cover anywhere near their boot polishing bills, never mind there salaries. So it isn't a issue worth considering.

I thought Everett was one of our best performers in the few games prior to lockdown, in the game against Hull, he looked as good as most of the much fancied opposition pack. Lillicrop is another welcome addition IMO to a solid, well balanced pack. Tonks, I will reserve judgement on, as I haven't seen enough of him, but I trust that Linners has, given that he coached him at Keighley prior to Tonks going to Hunslet. Thanks all the same, but I'd trust Linners judgement on him. 😉 He seems to think he is up to it, so give the lad a chance.

In Phil's defence, he was responding to Piggy's Mate l believe. 

I am happy with the recruitment so far, especially in the pack. As for looking a bit samey, we have recruited a prop who performed regularly in SL, a wing who has played for an England representative side and most of his career in SL, and an acknowledged high performer at our level and above. 

I just hope we now have a focus on backs. White is a must, another centre and an obvious full back are necessities. 

I'm not in charge of recruitment and with the current situation I'm glad about it too. We all have opinions, some will disagree; Lillycrop had a good season in 2016 in a good side but was more miss than hit over the next couple (yes he had an injury) then retired. Unless Ckeckheckleysedge RaRa put something into him, then I don't think he adds anything. I don't see what others see in Everett, doesn't break tackkes, doesn't hare on to the ball, stops and drops a knee in the tackle, readily knocked over. As Rams fans say, Tonks broke no pots there and has played a division down ever since, why would the club need BISSA to contribute to his fees? Broughton, only 6 games down from SL yes, but what are we paying a fella coming up a league? That's my thinking.

28 minutes ago, phildog said:

I'm not in charge of recruitment and with the current situation I'm glad about it too. We all have opinions, some will disagree; Lillycrop had a good season in 2016 in a good side but was more miss than hit over the next couple (yes he had an injury) then retired. Unless Ckeckheckleysedge RaRa put something into him, then I don't think he adds anything. I don't see what others see in Everett, doesn't break tackkes, doesn't hare on to the ball, stops and drops a knee in the tackle, readily knocked over. As Rams fans say, Tonks broke no pots there and has played a division down ever since, why would the club need BISSA to contribute to his fees? Broughton, only 6 games down from SL yes, but what are we paying a fella coming up a league? That's my thinking.

I think we have done ok with signings from lower league/relegated teams in the past. 

As for BISSA contributing to his fees, surely that leaves more money in the club for that better player you have mentioned!

From what Linners said in the pod cast we had 20 odd players signed at that point, it is probably just the way they have been announced  that makes us look forward heavy on the recruitment front. Hopefully 2 centres and maybe 2 more half backs in addition to White and Galbraith and we will be looking some like sorted in the backs. 

43 minutes ago, toffeedog said:

Desperate for centres cant understand why we keep signing forwards up surely the club realise that was a major  issue all last season 

Not sure it was much of an issue at all during the truncated season. Do you mean 2019? For the 2020 season, of the 25 players on the website, 12 were backs, so approximately half. I would have said this was about right. Not sure what the ratio of backs to forwards will be this season. 

In support of what you say though, l remember one squad we had under Kear where we literally had 7 backs. That was a particularly dire season. 

2 hours ago, phildog said:

Do you believe anything that comes out of a rams fans mouth if a certain mr F told me it was snowing I’d check also... 😉 

Let’s back Kev linners to pull the players to our club who want to play here and not just care about £££ 

Do we all have to believe that everybody we have is the bees knees and that anybody we don't have is a gold-digger?

Knowing what certain players want in the current climate and knowing they haven’t played since March could be considered as silly plus they’ll be a year older... if Leigh fev York and others wanna spend above their means let them... 

i doubt Kevin will spend above their means 

Do we all have to believe that everybody we have is the bees knees and that anybody we don't have is a gold-digger?

We can't announce all our signings from super league clubs , till there season finishes Phil

IMG_0583.JPG

6 minutes ago, Batley Bob said:

We can't announce all our signings from super league clubs , till there season finishes Phil

Your coach is quoted in LE as saying that there will only be a couple more incoming. Sammut and Benji Marshall I presume.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Sammut, seeing as Leigh have signed Ellis from HKR and Wallace from Toronto over the weekend and have also put a bid in for Benji Marshall and are making noises about signing Albert Kelly.

Whilst I don't for a minute think Marshall or Kelly will end up at Leigh, they still have Josh Woods on the books, which would seem to leave Sammut scratching around for a place in the side. Either one of Wood or Sammut would be a very welcome addition to White at the Mount. But I guess it will come down to how much we can stretch the budget.

I'm a little surprised London have let Morgan go to York, he looked very impressive in the game I saw him in. He was a real stand out performer.

26 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

It will be interesting to see what happens with Sammut, seeing as Leigh have signed Ellis from HKR and Wallace from Toronto over the weekend and have also put a bid in for Benji Marshall and are making noises about signing Albert Kelly.

Whilst I don't for a minute think Marshall or Kelly will end up at Leigh, they still have Josh Woods on the books, which would seem to leave Sammut scratching around for a place in the side. Either one of Wood or Sammut would be a very welcome addition to White at the Mount. But I guess it will come down to how much we can stretch the budget.

I'm a little surprised London have let Morgan go to York, he looked very impressive in the game I saw him in. He was a real stand out performer.

Isn't Wood a Wigan player?

Archived